Does James Bond have to be British?

edited December 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 16
I think it is imperative James Bond remains British - played by a Brit.I think the formula would not work any other way. Anybody got other thoughts-do you disagree or agree with me?

Comments

• I think we have another thread on this, but I'm not entirely sure. It can probably be discussed in the "Who could/should be a Bond actor?" thread. Anyway, I think he does need to played by a Brit.
    I think he can be played by any actor who has the right height (or within four or five inches of), the right look (not necessarily race-wise), the right demeanour, an ability to do a convincing British accent, and all the right British mannerisms and style. As well as being a very good actor; Bond can't be played by someone with subpar talent. I'm all for an American being Bond so long as on screen, he's British.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    An actor that can make Brits believe he's a Brit would be acceptable IMO, Brit or not.
    In an ideal world yes? But I have to say Lazenby did a damn good performance in all fairness. I guess it would all depend on who was available at the time of recasting?
    chrisisall wrote:
    An actor that can make Brits believe he's a Brit would be acceptable IMO, Brit or not.

Yes, the character is English by definition even if he does have some Scot in him and whatever else, but he is a British agent. However an American could play Bond if he could play English or English enough.
  • The actor? No.

The character? Yes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Stupid question.

Of course he has to be British. Bond, yes. The actor? Well, if the accent is decent enough, I don't mind. I didn't mind Lazenby or Brosnan either.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I completely agree if the question is 'Does the actor playing James Bond have to be British?' If he is good enough and is plausible as someone that is British, then why not?
  • Yes! Case closed!