"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Jesus Christ! I wasn't expecting that! Are we serious contenders?

Taxi for AVB though.
    I think Daniel Levy might be sharing that taxi. Why the hell would anyone want to hire AVB in the first place?
  • I'm enjoying how we're quietly staying up there. All the talk is about City and Chelsea and Arsenal, while we just go about our business. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that we'd be 2nd halfway through, I'd have asked to share what you were smoking! Wonderful performance today. No shots on goal by the Spurs, though and their worst home performance in 16 years. Wow. If they sack him, who do they get? Is Harry still at QPR? ;-)
    Jeez I did not see that Liverpool score line coming! :O Glad my boys picked up another point though! Certainly better than nothing! :-bd
  • Jesus Christ! I wasn't expecting that! Are we serious contenders?

Taxi for AVB though.

No keep AVD in, he's doing us a favour, minimum 4th for the mighty pool this year. Need to buy a striker, a left back and midfielder for Christmas.

Falco?

Hoping for a result tomorrow up at Sunderland! Although I would take a point now as long as the other bottom 2 lose as well!!! [-O< :))
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Hoping for a result tomorrow up at Sunderland! Although I would take a point now as long as the other bottom 2 lose as well!!! [-O< :))

Wow I scared myself with that prediction?!!! :-O Wonder if I could do the same with the Euromillions lottery draw? :-?
    Went to a soccermatch today where the local team tried to beat Ajax Amsterdam and for 88 minutes it looked like it was going to happen, even if Ajax showed a vastly larger amount of talent and skill which they apperently did not want to use to score. Untill the 88th minute when a young player who had his debut-game at this level scored twice within 4 minutes and left the locals with an illusion of ever having a shot.
    Frustrating to watch your favorites play like this in their last game for a month. The weather was poor, but the beer was enjoyable.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    So looks like Walcott's injury was a bit more serious than he thought. Somehow I think he'd have been a bit more miserable (and wouldn't have been taking the piss out of the Spurs fans) if he knew he'd be missing the world cup.
    So looks like Walcott's injury was a bit more serious than he thought. Somehow I think he'd have been a bit more miserable (and wouldn't have been taking the piss out of the Spurs fans) if he knew he'd be missing the world cup.

At least he got to have one last laugh for a long time.

It actually makes the England side somewhat weaker.

• Who do you reckon will replace him? Townsend and Sterling seem like the obvious contenders.
  • I don't care much for British soccer, but next year sees the World Cup tournament in Brazil and are the english still one of the favorites to win ? They had a very good side recently and almost won a european trophy a year or two back ? The world rankings had them in the top three maybe, and while I realize the United States doesn't have the same chance of winning this summer as you, take this opportunity to wish the team well and hope you can bring home that trophy as many expect
    I don't care much for British soccer, but next year sees the World Cup tournament in Brazil and are the english still one of the favorites to win ? They had a very good side recently and almost won a european trophy a year or two back ? The world rankings had them in the top three maybe, and while I realize the United States doesn't have the same chance of winning this summer as you, take this opportunity to wish the team well and hope you can bring home that trophy as many expect

You really don't know much about football (not soccer) do you! ;-)

No we don't have a good team nor have we had one for a considerable amount of time. We haven't come close to winning a trophy since 1996 (and that was on English soil). We are by no means anywhere near one of the favourites. We'll be incredibly fortunate if we even advance past the group stage.

And as for the FIFA rankings, they have always been a joke (Switzerland and Columbia are seeded for the World Cup. Says it all really).
    If anyone is travelling to the Far East in the next day or two, Jason Puncheon would like his ball back! =))
    Clarence Seedorf becomes the new trainer of AC Milan........... :-O

I did not see that coming.
    If anyone is travelling to the Far East in the next day or two, Jason Puncheon would like his ball back! =))

:)) That was an awful penalty! Even I could have atleast hit the target! And that is saying something! =))
    RogueAgent wrote:

:)) That was an awful penalty! Even I could have atleast hit the target! And that is saying something! =))

It still doesn't top this beauty:

RogueAgent wrote:

It still doesn't top this beauty:

=)) Jeez that got me laughing! That is comedy gold!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 7,653
    And Ronaldo won finaly his much wanted price and to be honest he deserved it.

However the boss of the UEFA had to mention how he had prefered Ribery, also a Frenchman, to win. It shows how little diplomatic skill the current leaders of UEFA & FIFA are. I wish somebody would target both organisations for an investigation into the bribery and corruption everybody knows that happens. And chuck some leading figures intojail, Platini headfirst.
    Well it looks like my Norwich boys have solved their FA Cup problem! ;)
    Where ever you are Largo? I cannot believe that Laudrup has got the push?!!!! :O
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Where ever you are Largo? I cannot believe that Laudrup has got the push?!!!! :O

I'm back rogue - been away recently to visit a man called huw who promised me a new job in the summer
    Since the win in Feb you could see laudrups heart was not in it and to see his body language and the news from the camp things were going down hill fast
    Thought it would wait until after Saturday
    largo2 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'm back rogue - been away recently to visit a man called huw who promised me a new job in the summer
    Since the win in Feb you could see laudrups heart was not in it and to see his body language and the news from the camp things were going down hill fast
    Thought it would wait until after Saturday

To be honest buddy Houghton is now under increasing pressure again. I just hope he doesn't get the push as I cannot see that achieving anything either. I like him and what he is trying to do for our club. I just hope the board have the bottle to hold their nerve and give him and the team the time to sort it all out. Have to say I was well annoyed we blew it against Cardiff last week!

What do you think of Gary Monk being put in charge for the time being? Who would you like to see replace Laudrup?
    Ever since they removed that Michael Jackson statue, things have gone downhill for Fulham.

Make of that what you will. ;-)
    Ever since they removed that Michael Jackson statue, things have gone downhill for Fulham.

Make of that what you will. ;-)

BAD springs to mind!

:))
    What a great win by Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal.
    I thought we would win but not by that much.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    001 wrote:
    What a great win by Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal.
    I thought we would win but not by that much.

A great win over the gunners by Liverpool. I left the room for fifteen or twenty minutes after the first goal, and was shocked to see them four goals up so quickly. Where were Arsenal yesterday?
    It also helped Chelsea back to the top of the Premier League. Obviously a good thing.

;)
    Top spot battle is going to be an interesting one. With Liverpool firmly cementing themselves as viable contenders.
    A loss and a draw to Norwich have left City looking a little shaky, but I'm sure they'll bounce back. Fight to the finish is going to be good.
    I am well chuffed to get a VERY unexpected point against Man City! :O As great as this result was, doesn't it just annoy you when your team does that and yet on other games they just don't show up at all against a team of similar standing! ~X(

Having said that? Well done boys! :-bd
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 469
    Oh my Swansea boys have the passion back long may it continue?
    Monk to be given the chance and possibly next season as well if it all goes well
    Watching the Liverpool v Fulham game today was like riding a rollercoaster.
    At least we got a win out of it.
    Toure might need a bit of a rest after scoring another own goal.