Top 3 villain moments

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    3. Zorin and Bond – City Hall

2. Bond and Grant – train

1. Doctor No and Bond – dinner table.

@Whitaker1987 and @Creasy47: Much agreed! General Ourumov is one of my favorite henchmen. Such a shame that he wasn't given a proper henchmen death. The first few times I saw GoldenEye, I was asking myself, "Huh? Did Ourumov die?" They didn't make enough of his death. He was just shot and that was it. I mean, they gave Zao a better death than Ourumov! How does that work?!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Beast, I was really expecting Ourumov to let Natalya go and help Bond out. You could tell that Ourumov was realizing more and more that Alec WAS going to betray him, but Bond had to do what was necessary.
    @Creasy47: Yeah, that look of surprise after he realized Trevelyan was a Cossack was really genuine. However, I don't think I would have liked it if he turned good like May Day and Jaws. It would have ruined his character, just like the two mentioned before.
    @00Beast, I agree. I appreciate that he stood his ground and Bond saved Natalya. It's always nice to see foe-turned-friend, but sometimes it's pulled off poorly. Still, I can understand May Day teaming up with Bond to get revenge on Zorin for sacrificing her, and Jaws teaming up with Bond to get revenge on Drax for Jaws wasn't the 'perfect' human being.
    @Creasy47: Yes, I see the reasoning behind their turn of sides, but somehow I didn't like it very much, especially Jaws. May Day's was fine, but Jaws' was pitiful. He and Bond should have had a big fist-fight in the space station as it begins to fall apart.
    Yeah, I actually enjoyed May Day's 'joining the good side', but Jaws, I didn't care for. Was just too goofy. 'Ahh, everything is exploding around us, let's have some champagne.'

Also, what was up with her going to OUTER SPACE with him when they just met, what, a few days previous?
  • Odd Job
    Yeah, I actually enjoyed May Day's 'joining the good side', but Jaws, I didn't care for. Was just too goofy. 'Ahh, everything is exploding around us, let's have some champagne.'

Also, what was up with her going to OUTER SPACE with him when they just met, what, a few days previous?
    Haha! I've never thought about that. Kind of weird!

I completely agree, but then again, what in MR isn't "goofy".
    @shutch7, wrestling with a snake isn't too "goofy"...is it? That thing was big enough to be a villain in itself.
    @Creasy47: I like the wrestle with Drax's snake as well. One of the better things to be found in Moonraker. Also very ironic that Holly saved Bond's life without even meaning to, because after all, it was her poison pen that Bond uses to kill the snake.
    That pen was extremely handy for such a large snake. I love how they sit around and watch it unravel, and when he finally kills it and climbs out: boom, there's Jaws. He just can't get a break.
    That pen was extremely handy for such a large snake. I love how they sit around and watch it unravel, and when he finally kills it and climbs out: boom, there's Jaws. He just can't get a break.
    Hahaha! Yeah, I love that annoyed look Bond has on his face when he looks up at Jaws. That was pure gold!
    Hahaha! Yeah, I love that annoyed look Bond has on his face when he looks up at Jaws. That was pure gold!
    Haha, that it was. Just anytime Bond would fight Jaws, he would hit him with his fists or a weapon and just instantly have an annoyed, awe-struck look on his face that his blows did absolutely nothing to stop or harm Jaws. Throwing him in the way of sharks, monorails, even circus tents, he was unstoppable.
  • Yeah, I actually enjoyed May Day's 'joining the good side', but Jaws, I didn't care for. Was just too goofy. 'Ahh, everything is exploding around us, let's have some champagne.'

I completely agree, but then again, what in MR isn't "goofy".

Seconded. The serious spy moments are too far and few and few between.

Sir Henry's best villain moments-

1. Bond at the mercy of Goldfinger's laser. So iconic that it's even recreated in the cartoon "Phineas And Ferb" ...yes I have kids, and that Dr. Doofenschmirtz is a howl in the recreation- "I saw this in a movie once...never did see how it turned out"

2. Bond at the mercy of Red Grant. Another great instance of Bond using his wits to get out of an impossible situation.

3. The death of Sanchez. Bond again uses his wits to send him to a fiery hell courtesy of Felix and Della, and the bastard never saw it coming.

Honorable Mention

- Brandt becomes fish food courtesy of Blofeld

- Bunt machine gunning Tracy

- Stromberg feeding his sexcretary to his pet shark

- Corinne goes to the dogs

- Sanchez feeds Leiter to a different shark

- Xenia puts the squeeze on Admiral Farrell

- LeChiffre's torture of Bond

in no order, but

Scaramanga in The Man with the golden gun when he gets the laser beam and says 'this is the part I really like', and takes out Bonds seaplane

Hugo Drax in Moonraker 'You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season' classic

Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever, (Bond shoots at cat and gets wrong target)

'Right Idea Mister Bond'

Connery - 'but wrong pussy'

• @Whitaker1987 and @Creasy47: Much agreed! General Ourumov is one of my favorite henchmen. Such a shame that he wasn't given a proper henchmen death. The first few times I saw GoldenEye, I was asking myself, "Huh? Did Ourumov die?" They didn't make enough of his death. He was just shot and that was it. I mean, they gave Zao a better death than Ourumov! How does that work?!
    I might be the only one here to say this but I never ever considered Ourumov to be a henchman at all.

Maybe it appeared that way with the brief scene on the train with Trevelyan but just how could a guy half his age get the better of a high ranking Russian General. A renegade at that.

Sorry but I can't buy that for a second. 9 years also is quite a long time to plan this and i'm sure none of the three involved would want to wait 9 years to get there reward.

I'm sure if the film had better writers the sequence where Bond tells of 006's Cossack background could have been extened a bit. Ourumov if I had my way would have been the executer for Boris. Has anyone seen the cut scene between Ourumov & Boris on train. Wish they had left it in. Funny.

Just an opinion.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    No-one has mentioned the Gun-totting grandma in GF ? That bit was just hilarious. She makes a nice salute to Bond when the car passes the first time, once Bond escape, she fires a machine gun that seems 2 times too big for her !! Besides she isn't a good aim, the fire power makes her wobble like crazy... It is amazing the recoil didn't make her go backwards 20 feet !
    1. Any time Blofeld sits there scratching his cat. By this I mean the early films when his face was hidden.
    2. "No Mr Bond. I expect you to die!"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No-one has mentioned the Gun-totting grandma in GF ? That bit was just hilarious. She makes a nice salute to Bond when the car passes the first time, once Bond escape, she fires a machine gun that seems 2 times too big for her !! Besides she isn't a good aim, the fire power makes her wobble like crazy... It is amazing the recoil didn't make her go backwards 20 feet !
    One of the funniest moments of the Connery Bond films, good choice @DC!
    just while I;m at it

who was that henchman Blofeld had in YOLT, Hans or something, I mean the bit when he falls in the Piranha pool, 'Bon apetit' LOL

Those two out of Diamonds are Forever, Mr Wint and Mr Kidd if memory serves, haven't seen it in years, especially the bit at the end with the bomb in the cake, hilarious

can't leave out Kananga's death in Live and Let Die, what were they thinking

or even the train bit at the end with Tee hee or that priest falling in a coffin of snakes, one of my favorite bonds ever that was

Stromberg dropping that traitorous woman in the shark tank. While she struggled for her life he was announcing over the PA system how she had betrayed him....chilly

Sanchez killing Krest (with Heller's help)

When Dent tells Dr No he came to warn him Dr No says, "warn me?" as if an ant had threatend God...
    My favourite:

Bond - "What happens when the US retaliates!?"
    Orumov - "Against who?"

As hammy as Steven Berkoff was, I just love the delivery of this line. It really speaks to the ingenuity behind his plot, and his absolute confidence in his success.

The runner-up:

Trevalyan - "By the way, James, I set the timer for six minutes. The same six minutes you gave me. It was the least I could do for a friend."
    Natalya - "What does that mean?"
    Bond - "We've got three minutes."

I like this exchange because it shows just how cold Trevalyan is, and also how he is petty enough to remember a (perceived) fault a decade later. Even though he defected, and despite the fact that he gave Bond no indication that he was about to do so, he still expected Bond to leave the timers intact and resented him for it.

And third place:

Scaramanga - "To us, Mr. Bond. We are the best."

Despite the shortcomings of the film, I like the way that Scaramanga is human enough to fundamentally misinterpret Bond.
  • Bond villains are what make the films. I love it best when they are cold, aggressive and unpredictable. I have so many favourite villain moment, but here are three off the top of my head...

1. Kananga beating Solitaire.
    "When the time came, I myself would have given you love. You knew that!"

2. Zorin shooting Howe.
    "But that means I would have to be..." "Dead!"

3. Le Chiffre torturing Bond.
    "You know, I never understood all these elaborate tortures. It's the simplest thing... to cause more pain than a man can possibly endure."

• Bond - "What happens when the US retaliates!?"
    Orumov - "Against who?"
    Oh that's a good one!
    Bond villains are what make the films. I love it best when they are cold, aggressive and unpredictable. I have so many favourite villain moment, but here are three off the top of my head...

1. Kananga beating Solitaire.
    "When the time came, I myself would have given you love. You knew that!"

2. Zorin shooting Howe.
    "But that means I would have to be..." "Dead!"

3. Le Chiffre torturing Bond.
    "You know, I never understood all these elaborate tortures. It's the simplest thing... to cause more pain than a man can possibly endure."
    Yes, I absolutely agree! They make the movies all the more epic!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    My favourite:

Bond - "What happens when the US retaliates!?"
    Orumov - "Against who?"

You mean Orlov ? Orumov was in GE.
    Renard: "You forget, I'm already dead."
    Bond: "Haven't you heard? So is she!"
    Renard: "You're lying.......NNNNOOOOO!!!!"
    (mad rampage, throws Bond around)
    When Dr No appears in Bond's room, you only see his silohette and iron hands.

Franz Sanchez and his goons feeding Leiter to the shark.

And finally seeing Blofeld revealing himself!