'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I noticed Capaldi's eyes straight away. So that's our first look at the 12 Doctor.

Overall, it was rather good. It could have done with more Classic Who. Now let's see what The 5 Doctors Rebooted is like...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sandy wrote:
    Personally I loved it, but what a convoluted plot! Amazing, although he/they (all 13!) changed history.

You might want to pop that into spoilers for those who have yet to watch it.

Sorry :\"> but it was a teeny tiny one without much consequence compared to how much there was to spoil.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I just thought it didn't have the emotional wallop we were promised. Previous big episodes have had more of a WOW factor - "Last of The Time Lords" and "The End Of Time Pt 2" for instance. Even the final scene with David Bradley/Matt Smith in Wednesday night's An Adventure of Space and Time was far more powerful. I actually had tears welling after that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I agree with you, there was no emotional wow but it was full of surprises.
    The best part of all is that both Gallifrey and the Time Lords are back, the Doctor just has to find them and before it's too late! He'll be into his final life soon...Time Lords to the rescue.

And the trailer afterwards...#sherlocklives!
    I thought there was an emotional wow, even more than An Adventure of Space and Time, but I guess everyone reacts differently to these things.
  • It was an emotional wow but it was never going to be WOW without you know WHO
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,819
    And that beginning ! Let's not forget that beginning ! and nice to see
    Ian Chesterton
    is still around
    Coal Hill School

But everything was great in this episode. Moments of laughter, moments of tears, great surprises, an explanation to the beginning of "End of Time", cult moments, and a new beginning for the Doctor. Will he find what he will be looking for ? As River would say : "Spoilers, sweeties !)
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,015
    FYI, it was broadcast in France, dubbed in French, simultaneously to the BBC. First time ever it happens, for any fiction program, I'm pretty sure. Don't expect lots of audience though, here Dr Who is in the 0.4M viewers category.

I found the Five(ish) Doctor Reboot incredibly funny (I saw it on the BBC website, for some reasons foreigners have access to it, contrary to other videos). Here's one question about a reference I may have missed :
    who's in John Barrowman car ? I understand the joke is that in the video he's married with children, but is the woman a celebrity in England ? Also, who are the three persons (1 man, 2 women) that the security guard sees behind the magazines ? The camera acted as if they were cameos. I have identified all the other cameos I think, but not these ones
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Two words
    TOM BAKER!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Five(ish) Doctors was funny.

@Suivez_ce_parachute
    I think the joke about Barrowman, is that he might actually be hetrosexual. Unless it was something else, his 'wife' didn't look familiar to me, though.

It was never going to be able to compete with The Day Of The Doctor, but good on Davison for pulling it together, and everyone else for taking part.
    FYI, it was broadcast in France, dubbed in French, simultaneously to the BBC. First time ever it happens, for any fiction program, I'm pretty sure. Don't expect lots of audience though, here Dr Who is in the 0.4M viewers category.

Well, the ratings are 719 000 viewers. Which is much better than usual (first place went to the french edition of Dancing with the Stars, with more than six millions viewers). But in France, Doctor Who has a few obstacles to overcome : it's on a channel that not many people watch, it's a science-fiction show and France, despite having invented the genre, doesn't have quite the culture for it, and it isn't part of the country's consciousness the way it is in Great Britain. Curiously, Torchwood, when it was on, got better ratings than its parent show. Go figure.
    Trailer for the Christmas special:
  • Weeping Angels and The Silence, that should be good. Speaking of monsters, anyone else think that the Zygons were a weird choice of villains? I thought it'd just be a cameo to introduce Tennant but they were more or less the main baddies.

Don't get me wrong they suited the plot and I'd rather have them than the Daleks or the Cybermen returning from extinction for the millionth time but if they had to use an old villain I would've preferred The Master or someone.

Actually Matt Smith hasn't met him yet has he? Hope he's in it at Christmas. Played by John Simm again.
    but it seems he is just way too stubborn to have said yes.

To be fair he had his reasons for leaving and he doesn't owe it to us to put in an appearance. Plus he's in Thor 2, maybe he was filming that at the time?
    but it seems he is just way too stubborn to have said yes.

To be fair he had his reasons for leaving and he doesn't owe it to us to put in an appearance. Plus he's in Thor 2, maybe he was filming that at the time?

You're quite right, he doesn't owe the fans anything but it would have been nice to see him for just a few seconds after John Hurt's regeneration.

Thor 2 wrapped production last December and it would have only needed half a day's filming to do his brief scene anyway.

Did anyone watch the Afterparty on BBC3? It was absolutely appalling, which made it an hilarious watch. Zoe Ball is so bloody annoying and Rick Edwards should stick to NFL coverage on 4.
  • I think that John Hurts part was written for him but when he turned it down Moffat came up with the whole "war doctor" idea. It would've been nice if he'd returned, even if it was only for the regeneration, but what we got was close enough.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Exceptional. Best I've seen of Steven Moffat. Loved the chemistry between the three doctors.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Sandy wrote:
    Trailer for the Christmas special:

Oh god, not the weeping angels again. Yes, they're an excellent creation, but I feel Moffat is overusing them. They're good as a one off, but now it just feels that they are being forced upon us...
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The Angels were in Blink, the Aliens esque episode with River and the recent episode where Amy and Rory left.

The Daleks on the other hand I don't think have missed a series since the revival. I think you're complaining about the wrong monster being overused and shoved down our throats.
    I just loved McGanns return and regeneration, The Day of the Doctor was grand and mad and finaly my favorite character turned out NOT BEING a massmurderer but the pacifist that thinks his way out. Loved the Bunny sketch........... The fiveish Doctors another great bit of fun and shows that all living Doctors were indeed in the special!!!

SM did a great job and made being a WHovian proud.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Oh dear. Another tired and totally demented tabloid headline.

edited November 2013 Posts: 13,894
    That makes no sense at all, following Capaldi being announced as Smith's successor. Journalism at it's best.
    That makes no sense at all, following Capaldi being announced as Smith's successor. Journalism at it's best.

The series was hardly going to end though, was it? The Doctor may find a fix and the first of his new cycle is played by Peter Capaldi.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Samuel001 wrote:

The series was hardly going to end though, was it? The Doctor may find a fix and the first of his new cycle is played by Peter Capaldi.

But it's still crap. The headline for starters reads "Steven Moffat confirms Smith is 13th Doctor". Nowhere in that article is it mentioned that Moffat actually said this, instead it's from a "show source".

Also the second 'Tennant Doctor' it refers to (from Journey's End) turned out to have one heart, making him half human. He therefore wouldn't count as a Time Lord.
    And in the Special we just watched, when Capaldi is seen, it's referenced that he's the 13th

As I said, typical BS tabloid story with no substance at all.
    Also the second 'Tennant Doctor' it refers to (from Journey's End) turned out to have one heart, making him half human. He therefore wouldn't count as a Time Lord.

He was created from regeneration energy though, so may lower the Doctor's limit by one as he used a regeneration there. That is the only way I can see the Eleventh Doctor as the 13th and final body working.
    Samuel001 wrote:

He was created from regeneration energy though, so may lower the Doctor's limit by one as he used a regeneration there. That is the only way I can see the Eleventh Doctor as the 13th and final body working.

That's pretty thin though no?
    Well, the regeneration was used on the Doctor's hand in that jar, something came of it, I wouldn't discount it, not yet.

One month until we find out.
  • I could actually see this being true but what about in series 6, when he gets shot by the astronaut? I know it turned out that he faked his death but he did start to regenerate. I just assumed he wanted to make it more convincing but why would he bother faking that if he was on his last life?
    I could actually see this being true but what about in series 6, when he gets shot by the astronaut? I know it turned out that he faked his death but he did start to regenerate. I just assumed he wanted to make it more convincing but why would he bother faking that if he was on his last life?

That's always bugged me. If he was a fake robot how could he still attempt a regeneration? Didn't seem to make much sense.