A '69 & '71 question for the 'Originals'

13»

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 2,341
    My recollections of the time. My whole family and I watched the moon landing on TV (on our trusty black and white TV) and I never thought it was staged.

After all the craziness of 1968 (political assasinations, anti war riots, race riots) the moon landing was some good and positive stuff to see on TV at the time.

By 1969 Bondmania had run its course and was starting to cool down by the time OHMSS was released at Christmas.
    2 years later DAF was released and though we were happy to see Sean back in the saddle, for me the film was a disappointment. Too campy and just plain dumb. It made a crap load of money and convinced EON that the lighter toned 007 ws the way to go in the new decade of the seventies.

The moon landing was more impressive than Bond and his world.
    I found the moon landing to be interesting as a news item but that's about it. I was just a boy and of course watched it with family on trusty black and white tv, but when I saw my first Bond, DAF, a few years later, I went bonkers. Greatest thing that I had ever seen in cinema. Bond blew me away, and the space scenes in Bond ( DAF and YOLT) were of course much clearer and easier on the eyes than that grainy original moonlanding footage.
    What I did really enjoy about the moon landings though, and there were a few others post Apollo Eleven, were the colour photos that eventually turned up in Time magazine - the colour shots of the astronauts bouncing around on the lunar surface, earth in the background, the US flag planted, the landing module. Those photos were real neat.

The-first-moon-landing-in-006.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote:
    What I did really enjoy about the moon landings though, and there were a few others post Apollo Eleven, were the colour photos that eventually turned up in Time magazine - the colour shots of the astronauts bouncing around on the lunar surface, earth in the background, the US flag planted, the landing module. Those photos were real neat.
    Kodachrome gives you those nice, bright colours...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,813
    Please find posted below an interesting You Tube video on the supposed faked moonlanding theory in the Diamonds Are Forever film that was touched upon in this very thread:

It even mentions me and one of my blog articles in the text below the video bar:

Bondologist David Dragonpol writes:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co...

Arthur C. Clarke's "Mysterious" Involvement in 'Moonraker'

Arthur C. Clarke (1917-2008), author of over one hundred books of fiction and non-fiction and broadcaster, seemingly had connections with Ian Fleming's third James Bond novel, MOONRAKER (1955). In JAMES BOND: THE MAN AND HIS WORLD (2005) by Henry Chancellor there is the following passage in the 'Inspirations' section for the novel MOONRAKER:

"The story of the Moonraker rocket targeting London and Bond's attempts to stop it was originally conceived for a film. 'The reason why it breaks so badly in half as a book,' Fleming explained to Joyce Briggs, Rank's script editor at Pinewood, 'is because I had to more or less graft the first half of the book on to my film idea in order to bring it up to the necessary length.' Ian's film idea had been about a German V-2 rocket, which he had updated to an early intercontinental nuclear weapon -- an extremely topical subject, as both the Americans and the Russians were rushing to develop this new technology. As he was not an expert in this field, Ian went to great lengths to make sure his Moonraker rocket was correct, writing to Arthur C. Clarke and the British Interplanetary Society to check his facts about range and accuracy."

There is another video by the same person here, along with another six faked Moon Landing conspiracy theory videos. See here for his James Bond related You Tube videos:

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    The moon landing was fake? Ahhh.
    No, sorry don't buy it.
    But it is nice to read that Fleming went to some lengths to make his wiring about the Moonraker rocket accurate enough.

@Chrisisall, don't take my Kodachrome away. ;)
    No, sorry don't, buy it.
    Look right here... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/nasa-apollo-lunar-landing-sites-photos-video_n_950663.html
    You caught that. Cool.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,564
    chrisisall wrote:
    You caught that. Cool.

When I look back at all the CRAP I learned in high school...

Yeah, I caught it too. Remember: One man's ceiling is another man's floor...

One man's ceiling is another man's floor...
    2001?
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I don't remember that line, Beatles ... (the CRAP line, yes; not the "one man's ceiling ...")
    But I still have Paul Simon singing in my head now. ;)
    No, sorry don't buy it.
    But it is nice to read that Fleming went to some lengths to make his wiring about the Moonraker rocket accurate enough.

Yes, and I really enjoyed writing that article as a tribute to Arthur C. Clarke back in March 2008. The full article can now be read on The Bondologist Blog. It was a CBn Main Page Article in 2008 too.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,564
    "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor" is the closing song to Paul Simon's second solo album, "There Goes Rhymin' Simon." It has a brilliant descending piano line and some great lyrics. "It's just apartment house rules, so all you 'partment house fools remember: one man's ceiling is another man's floor." Available on YouTube I'm sure, I recommend it as well as that album's opening song, "American Tune."
    "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor" is the closing song to Paul Simon's second album, "There Goes Rhymin' Simon." It has a brilliant descending piano line and some great lyrics. "It's just apartment house rules, so all you 'partment house fools remember: one man's ceiling is another man's floor."

Your musical knowledge is second to none, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor" is the closing song to Paul Simon's second album, "There Goes Rhymin' Simon." It has a brilliant descending piano line and some great lyrics. "It's just apartment house rules, so all you 'partment house fools remember: one man's ceiling is another man's floor."

I appreciate the nod, @Dragonpol, but I must defer to @SirHenry in this field.

Dragonpol wrote:

I appreciate the nod, @Dragonpol, but I must defer to @SirHenry in this field.

Yes, I meant to say second only to @SirHenryLeeChaChing.
    And SirHenry second to ... probably nobody else on here (especially talking metal).
    Except - in general musical terms - maybe MrEon. Hope he comes back. ;)
  • ohmss should have been the fourth movie with sean connery. series direction
    would have taken a different turn.
    quarrel7 wrote:
    ohmss should have been the fourth movie with sean connery. series direction
    would have taken a different turn.

Well, it was going to be the fourth one, but then they went with Thunderball instead. How do you think the series direction would have taken a different turn, @quarrel7? I'm intrigued.