'Layer Cake' sequel 'Viva La Madness' to star Jason Statham not Daniel Craig

2»

Comments

• DeJunkanoooDeJunkanooo Banned
    Didnt see Layer Cake the original, but it seems to me that Jason Statham is small potatoes next to Dan. Why even bother. Those baby blues, that intensity, the ferociouness but also the sensitivity are what make dan such a complex actor. Jason Statham is a brute.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I do like Statham but wev'e got to expect a different interpretation of the character.
    I'm fine with that. I'm interested enough to hope it is a really good film. I think Jason can act and is improving. Way back in The Bank Job, I thought he was good then, too. I have not seen Hummingbird and don't know if I can, but I'd like to.
    I'm not excited. I think Layer Cake is one great stand-alone film, I see no narrative reason for continuation.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    0013 wrote:
    I'm not excited. I think Layer Cake is one great stand-alone film, I see no narrative reason for continuation.

I see what you mean. This sequel idea could have worked around 2006 or so, but now after almost a decade since Layer Cake released, it doesn't feel necessary or right. But then I don't speak the lingo of a greedy businessman.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The second novel took 12 years, so what's wrong with a film based on said novel taking the same amount of time? This is less a cash-grab, more continuing something good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The second novel took 12 years, so what's wrong with a film based on said novel taking the same amount of time? This is less a cash-grab, more continuing something good.

I was going to say, this isn't 'Transformers' or 'Harry Potter,' it's a cult classic (of sorts) that obviously isn't out just to make money. It just wants to continue the storyline.
    The thing is that I like the movie so much that I don't think the sequel will be as good and I don't want to spoil the original. And yes, you could name a great number of excellent second parts (from Terminator to The Godfather). It's just risk aversion on my side.
    It already kind of ruins it for me by switching to Statham. Don't get me wrong, I really like his films and whatnot, I just hate when actors switch in a situation like that...excluding Bond, of course, that's understandable.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Reviews seem to say both books are as good as each other, so with any luck this film will also be as good as the last one.

I agree, not having Craig in this is a letdown, personally.
    I'll most certainly watch it, though. I'm looking forward to seeing it, I just wish Craig was returning.
    Yes, a proper sequel would have Craig on it.
    Still, if they follow the novel closely enough (I doubt I'll read it, I have enough to read as it is), I'll be happy. Hopefully Statham channels his early days with 'Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.'
    Only saw the first film last year and loved it. Craig's performance was a big reason why. Although I am a fan of Jason as well. I'm just curious about why Craig was not even approached.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Only saw the first film last year and loved it. Craig's performance was a big reason why. Although I am a fan of Jason as well. I'm just curious about why Craig was not even approached.
    Well, for one... he's James Bond. I simply think the people looking to make the film expect him to already have his hands full at the moment.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Can't imagine this will resemble the original in any way. Layer Cake was Matthew Vaughn outing Guy Ritchie as a style over substance director. Vaughn and Craig made that movie tick. Whoever directs the sequel will have their work cut out. I just hope it's not Simon West.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I didn't think of Layer Cake. I see it as a poor mans Lock Stock / Snatch. As for Statham, I don't mind him, i'll probably watch this at some point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well, I do like Statham but wev'e got to expect a different interpretation of the character.
    I'm fine with that. I'm interested enough to hope it is a really good film. I think Jason can act and is improving. Way back in The Bank Job, I thought he was good then, too. I have not seen Hummingbird and don't know if I can, but I'd like to.
    Agree with everything. If they cannot get Craig, Statham can probably do a decent job, and make it his own.

Jason Statham is a star. He did the remake of Italian job. He did 3 transporter movies although lose the role to British actor Chris Vance for the TV series which has likely been axed. He was in a movie opposite Robert DeNiro & Clive Owen in Killer Elite. He did the late Charles Bronson remake The Mechanic where he reunited with his Italian Job co-star Donald Sutherland. He was contender as 6th James Bond but was not available but he's to old to be next 007. I think he on sequel of Layer Cake he be playing a different Character to replace Daniel Craig & his Character. So new Character in the Sequel so don't forget Daniel Craig died in Layer Cake. He current playing his Villain role in The 7th Fast & Furious movie. There a reboot of Death Wish let hope he get & reprise Charles Bronson role in that.
    @Agent7F, no, he'll be playing the character Craig played in 'Layer Cake.' The unnamed character never died at the end of 'Layer Cake,' it was left open.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Agent7F, no, he'll be playing the character Craig played in 'Layer Cake.' The unnamed character never died at the end of 'Layer Cake,' it was left open.
    OK how come Daniel Craig was shot in the end then?
    Agent7F wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

In cinematic circles it's what we refer to as a "good ending." And could we please edit the title for spoilers so that the ending isn't ruined for anyone that hasn't seen the film? I'd hate for such a thing to happen.
    Agent7F wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

The reason he was shot has absolutely nothing to do with whether he lives or dies.
    We don't know, whether or not, he was offered the role, I assume, he was, because that would be the first logical step, don't you think? I guess, he didn't want to do it.