Goldfinger vs Octopussy

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Don't panic peeps,this is the ONLY 'vs' thread i will be posting on here :

I personally,prefer <b>OP</b> by a long chalk - OP #6 and GF #16 on my list.
Better Bond in this one,better score,better locations,much better plot,better action,better thrills - the list could go on.

How do you feel about this battle ?

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    Goldfinger for me, but I love both films. Octopussy is a pleasure to watch always.
    I've got GF at 3 and OP somewhere in the middle, but the "good" middle ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    as much as i believe Bond to completely useless and inept in Goldfinger, it still remains as one of my all time favorites - so i have to go with Goldfinger.... i do like Octopussy though..

for me, there aren't as many silly moments in Goldfinger as in Octopussy - like charming the Cobra to the Bond theme, the tennis racquet part with the crowd, the Tarzan yell, telling a wild tiger to "SIT!", Bond hiding in a gorilla outfit, and then dressing up like a clown.. just a bit too much for me..
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    GF has always stood as the ultimate Bond film. A critics favourite and of course Connery was at the top of his game. Endlessly quotable, full of famous images.
    However, the plot development stops the film dead in its tracks midway through. OP on the other hand cracks along at a lovely pace, it's beautifully photographed and terrific stunts. Shame about the OTT jokes and Veejay's acting skills.
    On balance, maybe GF my a gnat's testicle.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I say Octopussy. It has better script, more suspense better score and it feels " fresher ". Goldfinger has a better Bond and better girls though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As different as they are, I just may pick Octopussy. It's more serious, Bond actually does something during the film and it has a better plot as well as some great scenes of suspense and intrigue.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OP for me. While I love GF, I actually enjoy OP more. Roger's great in it, I find the story much more intriguing and interesting, I even prefer the music (yes, I do) and the villain's scheme, while essentially simple, comes off as much more acceptable than GF's. That said, I also appreciate GF, among other things because I think it's the one Fleming novel that received a better treatment for film.
    Octopussy is my choice without question. I've never been a huge fan of Goldfinger, but OP is always a fun watch, and it does a good job of mixing the more serious style with Roger Moore's comedic abilities, which is a balance they could have found a bit earlier in his tenure.
    This is a true reflection so far i feel,if people look at the 2 films closely :

OP : 5
    GF : 3

At the moment...
  • Oh man..I LOVE OP but GF is 2# in my rankings so I must go with that. Both are very fun to watch and both have great elements that come together perfectly. But there's just something about GF that makes stand above OP and most of the series for that matter.
  • Goldfinger by a mile. Mostly due to the vastly superior Bond and score, but the women, set design, villains, pacing, iconography and Bernard Lee help as well. Octopussy by comparison doesn't do much for me. Moore should have stepped down after Moonraker.
    Goldfinger, for sure. There is no question, here. After my recent Bondathon, I have found a little love for Octopussy....but GF is #2 on my list and OP is #15.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Both are incredible and in my current top 8-9 Bond films. GF's certainly the more iconic film and features the better Bond performance(although Moore's in OP is quite good as well). Oddjob easily beats Gobinda. However I will vote for OP. I like how OP takes the basic GF plot(villain plans to detonate a nuclear bomb on an American military base to expand his power for global domination) and gives it a sinister, WWIII Cold War-era style feel. It's also a more exotically located and far less studio-bound Bond film and the 2nd half generates a lot more excitement and suspense with a "this could actually happen"-type edge. I also find OP more underrated than GF.

Can we get a poll added to this one?
  • Like most, I find Goldfinger (#8) to be better than Octopussy (#14), but the latter has more exotic locations, a better pace, a better climax, and more fun action scenes. I can't say much else.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    Quoting barryt007: I personally,prefer OP by a long chalk
    Same here. Great mix of fun and seriousness, with Rog right on top of his game in both those departments. Goldfinger? Hmmm, I'd like all the grass and sitting around if I had a picnic and my golf bag with me I guess.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I do enjoy both films but personally GF is the far more memorable and iconic film for me. That along with DN, FRWL and OHMSS, represent the best period of Bond.
    Goldfinger by an inch. Both films are great, for the reasons already mentioned.

GF - 10
    OP - 5
  • OP, it has more of an espeionage thriller to me, with all the action, exotic locations, great villains and henchmen and Moore definatly on the ball in this one.
    So we stand at:

Goldfinger - 9
    Octopussy - 8
    definitely GF. i dont have nothing wrong with OP but it isnt something that impressed me
    Don't forget to add to the score as you go:

New score:

Goldfinger - 10
    Octopussy - 8
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Barry I really should be having a word to you.

Have you not remembered nothing which I have taught you, Octopussy is not comparable to any Bond film.

It is simply GREAT!

No we have confusion amongst us. X_X

Ahh well, ye shall all be forgiven for your sins.

Goldfinger- 10
    Octopussy- 9
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow 2 very good Bond movies...but then I guess that's the reason for this discussion board isn't it? Well I would have to say GF wins for me. It really set a template that has been copied in virutally every Bond movie since. Plus Connery looks killer in a white dinner jacket!

Goldfinger 11
    Octopussy 9
    GF is leading but i have to ask what makes GF so special? i really like the movie sine the first time i saw it but when you think about it there isnt much action or good story or making Bond deeper.even i think it was stupid for reason why Bond wasnt cut.if Goldfinger can easily capture the best MI6 agent he will get rid of others that will come after Bond,and how Bond can make someone to turn lesbian to be streight?.but i really liked the movie,i guess it has that X factor that makes you love it ;)
    Octopussy for sure! More consistant action, better locations, the pace of the movie, and Roger Moore put it higher than Goldfinger. I find GF to be very boring after the Miami scenes. It picks up again at Goldfinger's Switzerland HQ, but then loses it again once on the plane, and then fails to pick up again until the Fort Knox climax. OP keeps you interested all the way through.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Octopussy for me !! Great locals, humour, exciting action, memorable characters, great plot... And Moore is on top of his game !! And of course an epic score by Barry !!

Octopussy 11
    Goldfinger 11
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Let the OP appreciation continue.
    Very happy and impressed with some of the love for the all time high of the Bond series.
  • It is OP for me. It is my favorite Moore film and is one of the most enjoyable flicks of the series. It's just pure fun and Roger is at his best. GF is middle of the road, still a really good entry but often overrated.
    RogueThunderball said:
    GF is middle of the road, still a really good entry but often overrated.

Thank you! I've always thought GF was very overrated. Personally, I find it really boring in between the action scenes, where as in other Bond movies, that doesn't bother me as much. I actually like some of the non-action scenes in many Bond movies, but in GF, you just can't get past them.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Being very much the traditionalist Bond snob that I am I feel I should be voting for GF, but the truth is I watch OP far more, yes it lacks some of the style and the iconic moments of GF and unlike arguably Connery's best performance, Moore's Bond is almost unrecognizable as Fleming's literary hero, but even so OP is packed full of great stunts, action, humour and wonderful characters, you can't help but enjoy time and time again.

This is a bit off topic, but did anyone notice how much older Roger looked in OP than in AVTAK? It's as if OP was his last Bond movie!