Brosnan's most ruth-less moments

Comments

• edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan has been accused of overracting in TWINE but it's nothing compared to this. This clip is actually unintentionally funny.

As for the less-than-complimenting pictures, that seems rather mean if you ask me. I've seen another website that posted unflattering pictures of a Bond actor. It was called CraigNotBond. It now seems fair game to do it with Brosnan now that Craig is regarded as the bee's knees - rather unfair on the chap to be honest.

As for Connery's superior "coolness", ive got four words "Never Say Never Again". He looked like an overweight middle aged dad in that film.

Don't get too far off topic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,503
    Be cool, @BAIN. We're just having a bit of fun. Like I've stated thousands of times, Brosnan = favorite Bond, favorite actor. But there are times where I can sit back and poke fun at him, as should anybody with their own idol.

As for that clip, yes, it was unintentionally hilarious.

And as for the Connery comment, he was 53 years old in the movie. Moore wasn't looking like Leonardo Dicaprio, either, by the time AVTAK was released.
    I know, I didn't mean to sound like an old grump. I just think it's a little mean to resort to the "pictures of ... looking bad" level.

No hard feelings :)

I think Moore in View does look better than NSNA Connery though. Connery was the slimey dad who still thinks he's cool. Moore was the handsome, loveable, ageing (but not particularly threatening) uncle.

On topic, I liked the quick moment in DAD when he takes the case and glasses from Mr Van Beard in Cuba before giving a cheekey smile and ordering him away at gunpoint. That's pure Bond. As is the scene on the boat in GE when he looks down, see's a reflection running towards him, beats up the guy and calmly dabs his face with a towel.
    Cool :)

Yeah, Moore was much better looking by his age than Connery. I thought Moore was like that, too, but when he really wanted revenge or was desperately trying to finish the mission (defusing the bomb in OP, or telling off Zorin in AVTAK), you can really see in his eyes that he is now mean, ruthless, and means business.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,503
    :-))

@BAIN, since you posted that clip from 'Taffin', have you ever seen it? Or any of Brosnan's early work, like 'The Heist' or 'Death Train'? Albeit cheesy, they were still pretty entertaining.
    I think thats enough @DC
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think thats enough @DC
    Yeah... AFTAH you, I insist ;-)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Bond dropping Travelyan to his death.
    Killing Elektra.
    Hitting Renard on the head, readying his execution.
    :-))

@BAIN, since you posted that clip from 'Taffin', have you ever seen it? Or any of Brosnan's early work, like 'The Heist' or 'Death Train'? Albeit cheesy, they were still pretty entertaining.
    I saw Live Wire about 10 years ago and more recently The Fourth Protocol with Michael Caine. I thought he (Brosnan) was very good in that - quiet, seemingly charming on the outside but utterly ruthless (the scene when he has sex with his spy colleague and then kills her showed how nasty he was). I've got The Long Good Friday aswell which I haven't seen yet.

No, I haven't seen Taffin but that clip is fairly well known on YouTube.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Killing Kauffman. Otherwise I didn't buy Brosnan's Bond attempts at being ruthless. He was like a fart in a thunderstorm.
    "SOS" in Mamma Mia
    @BAIN, I thought 'The Fourth Protocol' was great. Need to rewatch it.
    Good idea. I'm sure they will.

On topic, another good ruthless moment: knocking out the rude German in the Cuban hotel in DAD. Perfect way to get in to the clinic.
    I am sure that character was South African not German.

I remember thinking at the time Tamahori is settling scores with that character - the Springboks must have beaten the Allblacks at rugby.

I must admit I am beginning to feel abit sorry for Brozzer.
    @actonsteve, sounded pretty German to me. Maybe you're right.
    I think @actonsteve is right. He was South African.
    Well, either way, the guy deserved every inch of that punch Bond delivered to his face. And the wheelchair shove into the wall.

"Unless you want to be known as Fidel Castrato."
    What about his killing of Davidov in TWINE? Pretty effective. The wink he gives when Davidov opens the boot is a nice touch.
    Oh, yeah. That was very brutal.

Something I've noticed about Brosnan is that he holds things in a unique way, something with his fingers that always bugged me when I watched these scenes. He may do it in other films, but both instances I spotted in TWINE are when he is gripping the BMW's steering wheel on the way to meet Elektra for the first time, and when he is holding the flashlight and looking through the office after breaking out of Elektra's villa.
    Really? I never noticed that.
    Yeah. I don't know how I came across it, but the next time you give TWINE a viewing, look for both of those. Very awkward positioning of his hands.

Back to Brosnan's most ruthless moments, another good one (probably already mentioned) was him gunning down Elektra right before she gives important details to Renard. Doesn't waste a second to think about what to do, just knows that he has to pull that trigger.
    Yeah that was pretty good. One thing though - surely Renard would have heard the shot over his radio and realised something was up?
    I would assume so. She wouldn't have let the button go until the bullet hit her, meaning that he most certainly would have heard the shot.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,782
    Oh, yeah. That was very brutal.

Something I've noticed about Brosnan is that he holds things in a unique way, something with his fingers that always bugged me when I watched these scenes. He may do it in other films, but both instances I spotted in TWINE are when he is gripping the BMW's steering wheel on the way to meet Elektra for the first time, and when he is holding the flashlight and looking through the office after breaking out of Elektra's villa.
    For the BMW it was obviously product placement; his hands would have been in the way of the badge.

In DAD the hovercraft scene when he runs out of bullets, I like the way he chucked the guns on the floor. Very stylish.

One thing I did miss, is that he didn't do his tie thing which he did in the first two movies or was it three?

I wish he carried it on.

I also wish he smacked Paris right back in the face, tripped her up and then gave her good kicking when she smacked him in the chops.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The question one must ask is: how ruthless were Brosnan's ruthless moments compared to those of Connery or Lazenby? :)
  • The question one must ask is: how ruthless were Brosnan's ruthless moments compared to those of Connery or Lazenby? :)
    or indeed a Polar bear.

Why those two Darth? I think Roger tried it once and looked as if he didn't like it. TD fed people to sharks so he was pretty ruthless. DC ummm - he just mopes around holding crying women in showers the big poof.
    @forgotmyusername, I know he adjusts his tie in the tank scene in GE and when his boat goes underwater in TWINE. I'm not sure about TND, and I definitely don't think he does in DAD. Would have been a nice thing to run with through all of them, but even in TWINE, it was improvised.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was just picking them randomly, sir. ;;) I reckon even Moore had a few ruthless moments, even besides the slapping of Andrea. Sandor and Locque come to mind, but even the FYEO PTS, as cartoonish as it was, shows us a Bond who, with a smile on his face, drops a guy in wheelchair from a flying helicopter. :P Of course I don't this particular moment very seriously. If intended as the big 'revenge on Blofeld' moment, which I doubt, it isn't in any case earned.
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    That is off-topic , this is for Brosnan's moments .
    Thank you :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Don't be a douche all your life d_m_n, the above comment/s are not off topic. The natural progression of the thread means that the topic takes a course. So long as the original idea is maintained, and whenever possible the thread idea remains, and is not turned into a spam fest, derailed or such like then there should be no problem.