Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 9,767
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    The Hildebrand Rarity should be the title of Bond 24
    I was a fan for Adrian Paul for Bond number 6 (until Craig came in)
    My choice of directors for Bond would give most people nightmares

I have seen his Highlander stuff and I don't want this man anywhere near Bond, @Risico007! :-)

Hey I liked him but then again I didn't know Craig existed. to be fair a few people whose opinion I believe when Craig was cast said "he would be the next Dalton" and I believed them. Hoping Bond 24 is closer to Casion Royale and Quantum of Solace then Skyfall.

As for directors.....

I don't want mi6 board taking me out after all you have people everywhere.

I changed my mind Jaume Collet-Serra is one of them unknown was good and I am really liking the trailer for Non stop

Basically in the 60's and 70's 007 did have a few jump scares I would like that kind of tension again basically I want to feel the tension.

So for that directors like Chris Nolan Pierre Morrell Wes Craven and a few others have come to mind but I know they are too obvious or well Wes Craven. However if someone can point me in the direction of a French or British director who could add an element of horror and suspense to 007 I will back them Skyfall could of been that way but wasn't Quantum was suspenseful I still remember everyone genuinely being excited by one line in the trailer

"Who the hell is this organization how can they be everywhere and we know nothing about them"

I want a return to THAT more then anything else
  • Diamonds Are Forever is the greatest Bond movie ever made.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd take Adrian Paul as Bond over Craig any day. But at 54, that's not going to happen.

I can't quite go that far, but I do like the way you think.

L-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Diamonds Are Forever is the greatest Bond movie ever made.
    I wouldn't go that far, but it IS a hugely entertaining Bond, underrated IMO.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,786

I'm kind of coming round to that, but on quite a different scale of measurement from all of the other Bond films of course. I'm writing an alternative review of DAF that should be fun. Ansd I say that fully aware that DAF is in my bottom three!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

A glowing tribute.
    That's one of only three Bond movies I outright hate, so yes, controversial for me :)
    LeighBurne wrote:
    That's one of only three Bond movies I outright hate, so yes, controversial for me :)

Yes same here. Along with DAD, DAF I despise with a passion. They're the only 2 Bond films which make me angry when I watch them (which thankfully is not often).
    I could never, ever agree with DAF at #1. It's impossible to remove its' massive dump on OHMSS from my mind.
  • I could never, ever agree with DAF at #1. It's impossible to remove its' massive dump on OHMSS from my mind.

I view each film individually and hardly consider one beholden to its predecessor.

And speaking of controversial opinions, rating DAF alongside DAD certainly qualifies. Hell, DAF's title track alone puts it parsecs beyond DAD.

I could never, ever agree with DAF at #1. It's impossible to remove its' massive dump on OHMSS from my mind.

I view each film individually and hardly consider one beholden to its predecessor.

And speaking of controversial opinions, rating DAF alongside DAD certainly qualifies. Hell, DAF's title track alone puts it parsecs beyond DAD.

Yes, I agree that it's a better film and that Connery gives a better performance than that in YOLT. He has more fun with the proceedings in DAF and has a more lived-in look about him!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,965
    I thought DAF was a fun Bond film. I enjoy watching it from time to time. Sean Connery said he enjoyed it. He was more into the role in DAF then YOLT
    fjdinardo wrote:
    I thought DAF was a fun Bond film. I enjoy watching it from time to time. Sean Connery said he enjoyed it. He was more into the role in DAF then YOLT

Agreed. One can judge it on its own merits as a fun film, not as a serious one, of course where it doesn't really stack up!
  • DAD could be seen as a fun film but I don't see anyone arguing that it isn't crap.

I can see why people would like DAF (the score, the theme song, the witty lines, Vegas), but I wouldn't put it in my top 15, let alone at no 1. Definitely controversial.
    Here's a controversial opinion, but I'd rather watch the flawed Quantum than any of the Moore films.
    Here's a controversial opinion, but I'd rather watch the flawed Quantum than any of the Moore films.

Not controversial, I'd say. Well to an extent. OP and TSWLM are certainly better but I'd probably take it over any of the other five.

Not controversial, I'd say. Well to an extent. OP and TSWLM are certainly better but I'd probably take it over any of the other five.

What, no love for FYEO?
  • RC7RC7

All I can say is that we probably wouldn't enjoy bonding over a drink.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DAF is cheesy, stylish fun.
    QOS is Dan's best performance as Bond.
    TMWTGG is Moore's best performance as Bond.
    DAD is more entertaining than AVTAK.

That's all my controversy for now...
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

Gaaah, how did I forget that one? Add it along with OP and TSWLM.
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

Yes I agree that FYEO and TSWLM as excellent. OP is still good despite the Tarzan/Clown scenes.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't see AVTAK as a Goldfinger remake. Just because someone tries capitalizing on a market doesn't make it a remake of Goldfinger. You could use that same logic to Tomorrow Never Dies as the main villain tries capitalizing on getting mass media coverage.
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

That's better!
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

Yes I agree that FYEO and TSWLM as excellent. OP is still good despite the Tarzan/Clown scenes.

I've warmed a lot to the clown sequence. He needed a disguise, the only problem with it is that he changes into it in three seconds. It used to be the reason OP was at or near the bottom of my list all the time. But the past few years have been most kind to it for me. It is a very well made film with Rog at his best, and despite the camp that permeates it I find it very faithful to Fleming. It uses the short story (as well as material from other Fleming tales) very well. Kamal Khan is also one of the best villains ever. Overall, OP sits comfortably at #10 for me.
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

I've warmed a lot to the clown sequence. He needed a disguise, the only problem with it is that he changes into it in three seconds. It used to be the reason OP was at or near the bottom of my list all the time. But the past few years have been most kind to it for me. It is a very well made film with Rog at his best, and despite the camp that permeates it I find it very faithful to Fleming. It uses the short story (as well as material from other Fleming tales) very well. Kamal Khan is also one of the best villains ever. Overall, OP sits comfortably at #10 for me.

Agreed, I hope to post about the Flemingesque nature of Octopussy at some point and I don't see that as a contradiction in terms at all.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Dragonpol wrote:

What, no love for FYEO?

And that's my main beef with that sequence. I like the scene when he is disarming the bomb. It's a really well shot and suspense filled moment but the fact that he has changed into the clown outfit and applied a ton of make up in no time at all is just annoying.
    I guess For Your Eyes Only is the best of the Moore bunch, to me. Still rather watch Quantum than that, though. Most would probably disagree, but I prefer a gritty Bond in a flawed film than a softer Bond any day of the week.
    Let me give this a try. Moonraker is my 2nd favorite Bond film of all time. Its the best Moore Bond film.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 157
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Let me give this a try. Moonraker is my 2nd favorite Bond film of all time. Its the best Moore Bond film.

I'll drink to that.

Here's another: The Spy Who Loved Me is an overrated, dated, charmless, tedious bore that was the template for the worst excesses of the Brosnan era. When Harry Saltzman left, Bond lost a part of his soul.

Spy also contains Moore's most smug and irritating performance as Bond and one of the worst Bond girls of all time. A mannequin would have been more convincing as Agent XXX.