'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Maybe they will do an episode a night before the 50th anniversay special? How cool would that be? [-O<
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'd love that but I doubt it. Black and white TV would not be watched by the masses today. They expect colour.

The news of what's been found will be announced at midnight. How will people keep quiet for half a day?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Midnight Friday night/Saturday morning is that Sam?

When it becomes Friday midnight, tonight. When the clock strikes twelve. Under nine hours.

Here's an article about the conference:

http://www.outpostskaro.com/v2_5/index.php/news-cat-list/tvnews-list/390-missing-episodes-we-re-coming-in-to-land
    106 just became 97!

The returned and just announced episodes are:

The Enemy of the World is now complete - Five returned

The Web of Fear is only now missing episode 3 - Four returned

You can purchase them from i-Tunes now or wait for them on DVD. The Enemy of the World is released on 25th November with The Web of Fear following on 24th February.

They were found in Nigeria in Africa by Phillip Morris. He says:

"The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words 'Doctor Who'. When I read the story code I realised I'd found something pretty special."

Fiona Eastwood, Director of Consumer Products, BBC Worldwide comments:

"We are thrilled with the recent discovery of The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World and we're very happy to be launching re-mastered versions of these treasured episodes to fans as we celebrate the 50th year of Doctor Who."

Beth Clearfield, SVP, Digital Distribution & Business Development says:

"For many, this will be their first chance to watch these long-lost Doctor Who stories. We’re thrilled to partner with iTunes in bringing these missing gems back to new and long-time fans after all these years."
    And here's my reaction :

I presume that it's also the reaction of many, many Whovians out there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes. \:D/

The Web Of Fear more than meets the criteria for being animated, that is, if episode 3 doesn't turn up. And The Enemy Of The World is complete, awesome news to wake up to on this cold cloudy morning.
    time to pre-order them on dvd.
    BTW, I was thinking of The Web Planet this morning, and I realized that, under what is probably the most kitsch episode of the series (I haven't seen every episode yet, though, so YMMV) was a perfect metaphor for... cancer. Interesting, how you can discover heavy stuff even in what was, at the time, a show for children.
    This really is great news! It just goes to show that their is always hope that somewhere out there? The remaining missing episodes still exist!
  • Ben Wheately is directing the first two episodes.

I didn't really like A Field In England (thought it was dull, confusing and pretentious), but Kill List was a brilliant film and he's very good at creating a scary atmosphere.
    It should be a good start to a new era. I want a gothic horror feel to Doctor Who. Plus as filming now begins in December maybe we'll get to see Peter Capaldi's outfit before the Christmas special airs.

Under six weeks until The Day of the Doctor! Hopefully a trailer is released soon.
  • The fact that they went and got Wheately makes me think they'll be turning it into more of a horror show when Capaldi starts. I'm hoping for that anyway.
    Good. Hopefully more violent too. Some of Tom Baker's reign was very near the mark for early evening's. Getting back to that would be good.

I'm really hoping this series is made up of just two-part stories. It will give them more time to breath and for the viewer to get used to the situation and setting.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I haven't seen any of Wheatley's work, though I know of Kill List and I am now more intrigued as to where they're going to go with Capaldi's Doctor. I just hope that Capaldi will be better served with his following series than Smith was. Smith had a strong run of stories with series 5, but they weren't able to top the series as a whole with series 6, 7a and 7b.
    Smith had a strong run of stories with series 5, but they weren't able to top the series as a whole with series 6, 7a and 7b.

I agree but thinking back when was the last time we have a run of one good series after another? McCoy's got better as they went on but before that, Tom Baker's first three? Pertwee's were all very good. It's been a long time since a Doctor has been lucky with all their series, so hopefully Capaldi is.
    Good point. Though I should be fair and say that series 7b had a decent run; The Rings Of Akhaten & Cold War stood out for me.
    Series 7b is nearly as good as Series 5 in my opinion. All very well done I thought. Let's hope this momentum has carried on to what comes next.
    First publicity still from "The Day of the Doctor"

1379895_738895782791118_1214759844_n.jpg
    First publicity still from "The Day of the Doctor"

1379895_738895782791118_1214759844_n.jpg

What a great picture! So can't wait to see this next month! Come on!!!!!!
    Pictures of the docudrama "An Adventure in Space and Time" are here :

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-pics-54099.htm

I must say I'm really impressed by the resemblance between the actors of the biopic and the actors from the series.
    Day Of The Doctor trailer:
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 5,821
    Wow ! Just wow ! And great of them to have included Sarah Jane Smith among the characters. Especially when you know who Clara got her name from. (Elizabeth Clara Sladen, for the few who don't know)
    A very good build up piece, that. Hopefully the real thing is only a couple of weeks away.
    One thing I didn't like about that trailer, is that Doctors 6,7 & 8 are barely visible. It's like a Bond tribute that focuses on Connery, Moore, Brosnan & Craig and barely any Lazenby & Dalton.
    A few pics from "Day of the Doctor" have surfaced. Attention : there's a BIG spoiler in it :

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-of-the-doctor-set-pics-spoilers-54189.htm
    One thing I didn't like about that trailer, is that Doctors 6,7 & 8 are barely visible. It's like a Bond tribute that focuses on Connery, Moore, Brosnan & Craig and barely any Lazenby & Dalton.

It's not only them that are hidden though, there's a lot of content in there that some online have spotted. For just one minute I think a lot was managed to be squeezed in. It's a trailer after all and nothing quite akin to this would ever be done for Bond. They're different things.
    Was so cool seeing this on the beeb last night! It is building up nicely! :-bd
    Five weeks to go!

The episode by the way, is said to air from 7:45 - 9:00, so right after Strictly which is getting shorter as the weeks go by.
  • Great trailer for the special. Counting down the days. Hope the special doesn't disappoint.