Things you do when you know you are in the zone.

edited August 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 6,432
Bought a speed bag recently, like to train and keep fit. recently been training on my speed bag in pitch black, really hones the senses and instincts. What things do you do that you know you are in the zone. Could be anything...

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wing Chun. Gung Fu is my zone.
    chrisisall wrote:

Previously done kick boxing, mentioned before. A work mate is a black belt and trainer in Aikedo agreed to train me, Really looking forward to it, been through a tough time so looking forward to focusing my mind. :-)
    been through a tough time so looking forward to focusing my mind. :-)
    Aikido will do that; great luck man!
    chrisisall wrote:

Cheers pal much appreciated.
    chrisisall wrote:

Cheers pal much appreciated. That what does not kill us, makes us stronger :-)[ /quote]
  • chrisisall wrote:

Previously done kick boxing, mentioned before. A work mate is a black belt and trainer in Aikido agreed to train me, Really looking forward to it, been through a tough time so looking forward to focusing my mind. :-)

I hope you will love Aikido as much as I do! It has saved me the discomfort of bruised and bloody knuckles I used to have to endure doing and using Tae Kwon Do.

chrisisall wrote:

Previously done kick boxing, mentioned before. A work mate is a black belt and trainer in Aikido agreed to train me, Really looking forward to it, been through a tough time so looking forward to focusing my mind. :-)

I hope you will love Aikido as much as I do! It has saved me the discomfort of bruised and bloody knuckles I used to have to endure doing and using Tae Kwon Do.

Thanks mate, looking forward to learning a new discipline.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Cool stories, gents! I am taking a college course that is an introduction to Martial Arts, and my instructor is actually the leading fighter of her discipline in the world, and her husband is equally impressive. She told us that he is so alert and preparedly deadly at all times that you can't bug him when he is asleep and he has almost killed his sister and mother once before because of such situations where they may have attempted to wake him up. Insane stuff. I definitely have a largely renewed respect for any trained fighters out there, because all the blocks, kicks, punches and variations of each are not easy to master.
    Sir Henry war right about it being easier on your knuckles. Aikido was one of the many styles I studied from '74 to '99 before more or less centering in on Wing Chun. One word of advice though, I have mild scoliosis (spine not perfect) and came away from sessions with tremendous backaches (they do rolls & hard falls in some schools). Be sure your neck & back are in fairly good working order.
    I ended up going to a chiropractor knowledgeable in the martial arts- she said "try Tai-Chi." Now if you know me, you'd know that was like saying to me "go and run in slow motion" so I settled on Wing Chun as it was still an active combative martial art, but more 'silk' than 'iron.'
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Henry war right about it being easier on your knuckles. Aikido was one of the many styles I studied from '74 to '99 before more or less centering in on Wing Chun. One word of advice though, I have mild scoliosis (spine not perfect) and came away from sessions with tremendous backaches (they do rolls & hard falls in some schools). Be sure your neck & back are in fairly good working order.
    I ended up going to a chiropractor knowledgeable in the martial arts- she said "try Tai-Chi." Now if you know me, you'd know that was like saying to me "go and run in slow motion" so I settled on Wing Chun as it was still an active combative martial art, but more 'silk' than 'iron.'

Thanks for the advice, i have had on and off lower back problems nothing serious. I found yoga helpful. I do have the tendency to push myself too hard, i never learn :-)

• Cool stories, gents! I am taking a college course that is an introduction to Martial Arts, and my instructor is actually the leading fighter of her discipline in the world, and her husband is equally impressive. She told us that he is so alert and preparedly deadly at all times that you can't bug him when he is asleep and he has almost killed his sister and mother once before because of such situations where they may have attempted to wake him up. Insane stuff. I definitely have a largely renewed respect for any trained fighters out there, because all the blocks, kicks, punches and variations of each are not easy to master.

:)) For a long time before I got married and had kids, I used to have to tell people to tap me on my feet to wake me because at times I did start to swing reflexively. I understand that guy.

i have had on and off lower back problems nothing serious.
    As long as it's nothing congenital, you should be fine!
    chrisisall wrote:
    i have had on and off lower back problems nothing serious.
    As long as it's nothing congenital, you should be fine!

Absolutely, thankyou.
  • I've been doing martial arts for 13 years, since I was 6, and in the past few years I've started training with the higher level black belts and the founder of the style. They're the best martial artists I've met in my life to date, and am likely the best I am ever to know well. Their bodies have, of course, taken years of abuse, but it's well worth it for the level of skill they've achieved, as well as the unanimous response of everybody who comes to watch class. "Those guys are nuts!"

When we're fighting, though, there's nothing much to do except fight. No space in your mind can be devoted to anything other than what's going on, or you'll get your ass kicked worse than before.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    He almost kills family members who try to wake him up. Thats not impressive, thats frightening and dangerous. Welcome to the exciting world of post traumatic stress disorder. A wholly new field in which to begin to learn.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited August 2013 Posts: 348
    Bradford4 wrote:
    He almost kills family members who try to wake him up.

Are you talking about yourself in the third person?
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    Read the thread like a big boy.
  • Meditate on the beach, or better still feel the pure power of nature during a storm whilst training. Nothing better than absorbing that raw energy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When I'm in the zone I tend to make things from everyday items and make movies. right now I'm making replicas of the GoldenEye mines.
    goldeneye_mines_wip__by_comandercool22-d6krs3g.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock, wow, that is about spot on. Excellent work! I'm so jealous.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, wow, that is about spot on. Excellent work! I'm so jealous.

@Creasy47 Thanks. I scored two of these battle gear joysticks on ebay and what you see is what they used to be. :D
    $(KGrHqN,!lEFIB!Il+GpBSClK07dMQ~~60_57.JPG
    When one handed knuckles press ups are easy! worked hard to get back to a good level of fitness, without sounding arrogant i turned forty the other day and i am proud how fit and strong i am.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That's great! Maintain a certain level if you can because after 50 your body will change far more than in any previous decade Maintaining as you get older helps tremendously.
    Unfortunately I'm in the cold sore zone at the moment, so all I do is mope around the house, getting aggravated, eating like an 80 year old and trying to make everyone around me feel as miserable as I do.
    Very true body does change, had a blip with fitness mid 30s though was adamant i would get to the level i wanted by forty a few years ago. Stopping smoking was a big part and train like a athlete was another lol since i was a young kid had the know how, life gets in way sometimes.

One thing i do know, is that there is no such word as can't! my mantra is never give up! never give in! :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I try to write blog articles by almost letting them write themselves when I'm in the zone. I hope to get some new ones up soon. :)