"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• What a debut for Rickie Lambert scoring a quality header with his first touch. Could have scored three. Scored 15 perms goals last season. Hope has another good one with the Saints and deserves his chance with England. The lad's done good!
  • We were pretty shite but at least we won and it was a great debut for Lambert.
    Just had a chat with my brother and he told me the score. That just goes to show how much interest I have in the England team. The players don't really care so why should I? Been disillusioned with the national team for a very long time.

The one thing I will say is good on ya Ricky Lambert. Just goes to show that you shouldn't overlook talent just because they either play for an unfashionable team or a not a media star footballer!

Wonder how many superstar prem players will be amazingly fit come kick off Saturday? The whole thing is BS so the FA can pay Wembley off. Rant over! :D
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Theo=pace
    Rooney=ego
    Lambert=English pride

England team for Brazil must include pace...

Call in the young guns from the under 21s, we've won nothing with experience go with the yuff and let them run free.
    Theo=pace
    Rooney=ego
    Lambert=English pride

You're assuming of course we're going to qualify
    Call in the young guns from the under 21s, we've won nothing with experience go with the yuff and let them run free.

Yeah cos the Under-21's performed so admirably at this summer's Euros...
  • Theo=pace
    Rooney=ego
    Lambert=English pride

Yeah let's go the way we are as we are winning everything and destroying all teams in our path with the senior squad...

It's utter madness to expect different results by doing the same thing.

And small todger just grow up and stop trying to start something over a trivia matter...best if you don't comment on my posts and of course I will reciprocate.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Small todger? That's very mature of you isn't it, bringing this down to kiddy playground mentality.

I was making a perfectly valid point that English football at international level is about as low now as it has been in years and given the showing of our Under 20's and 21's this summer, there isn't really much to get excited about now is there?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Theo=pace
    Rooney=ego
    Lambert=English pride

Fair points Todger old boy. Difficult to argue with that.

We're shit whatever age group you look at. Our women are shit too.

Christ even our tramps are a disgrace:

http://www.homelessworldcup.org/poznan-2013/fixtures-and-results/13-08-2013

Kyrgyzstan dishing out a 13-2 raping to the country that invented the game? Pitiful. But then I imagine they have a bigger pool to choose from as probably 70% of the general population live in less desirable conditions than our hobos.

At least it's not all doom and gloom:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2008/09/01/england-wins-gay-football-world-cup/

Maybe we should select some of these boys for the senior squad? Although probably not for 2018.

And don't forget that blind bloke from the Paralympics who has a scoring rate of about 3 goals a game. There is talent out there we just need to think outside the box.
    Rik wrote:
    For those of you that like Fantasy Football.

Come and join my leagues: The first is at http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/18180/join/?autojoin-code=60725-18180

The second is at dreamteamfc.com

League Pin: 8013140 Password: 54321

You have until Friday to get your teams in.

I look forward to beating you all.

I'm in............

• Swearez is Back in training with the first team...must have said sorry and will wait for the January transfer window.

Liverpool FC bite back....

Let's hope we don't do a west Brom and get stuffed first game of the season against Stoke.
    Oh how I miss the football season ..... BUT it i back at last tomrrow.

Day off work £0.00
    Wife and child packed off to inlaws for weekend £90
    free sky sports for the day £0.00
    And watching the SWANS beat the Man und ...... priceless :D
    I think the Swans will be really up for it as with a decent bit of continuity at the club learning to be a bit more unpredictable in their play they should really improve over last season. Just wish Newcastle could finish 5th or higher again too!
  • largo2 wrote:

Day off work £0.00

How do u get the free sky sports for the day?
  • largo2 wrote:

Day off work £0.00

If you've got Sky TV they are giving you free access to the first weekend Sky Sports Football free. I've already got Sky Sports so I'm sorted for the season. Not paying for BT or switching broadband to get it free though as they'll charge for the Broadband which Sky have offered to me free for a year. Got to love competition :)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,575
    Swearez is Back in training with the first team...must have said sorry and will wait for the January transfer window.

Let's hope we don't do a west Brom and get stuffed first game of the season against Stoke.

Jaws is back in action..:)
    Hope we win this first game and hopefully it keeps on going.

Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign Valencia left-back Aly Cissokho on a season long-loan.

Liverpool have opened talks with Anzhi Makhachkala over the possible signing of Brazilian playmaker Willian.

Haven't seen much of these 2 players so i don't know how good they are.

• 001 wrote:
    Swearez is Back in training with the first team...must have said sorry and will wait for the January transfer window.

Jaws is back in action..:)
    Hope we win this first game and hopefully it keeps on going.

Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign Valencia left-back Aly Cissokho on a season long-loan.

Liverpool have opened talks with Anzhi Makhachkala over the possible signing of Brazilian playmaker Willian.

Haven't seen much of these 2 players so i don't know how good they are.

They're not British though. I'm getting a bit tired of the oversees influence, home grown talent must be given a chance to grow. We made a bit of a stance with Jaws, can we make a stance and put the British back in the PL?
    largo2 wrote:

Day off work £0.00

I have BT and been a customer for a while, so not just free btsports and espn but Pick tv channel which is also on freeview has sky sports for today for free - as they are worried that BT have a few games this season

Oh hell yes, you're are absolutely right. Free Sky Sports all day on Freeview channel 11 including Swansea V Man Utd. I think they're trying to fend off the competition from BT Sports ;-)
  • Liverpool win....love it. Should have won 3-1 but a single goal is good enough and after a dodgy game our new 9 million goalie stepped up to the mark and did his stuff.

My weekend is made.
    Liverpool win....love it. Should have won 3-1 but a single goal is good enough and after a dodgy game our new 9 million goalie stepped up to the mark and did his stuff.

My weekend is made.

Good passing footie - and a win - top 4 finish this season me thinks. Aspas looks good

• 2-0, and not a bad debut for Downing. Nice start to the season.
  • Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Arsenal ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • Great start for United and Saints. I'll enjoy Match of the Day tonight. :)
    Well done the Norwich boys for putting their first point on the board today! Always feels good! :-bd
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,575
    largo2 wrote:
    Liverpool win....love it. Should have won 3-1 but a single goal is good enough and after a dodgy game our new 9 million goalie stepped up to the mark and did his stuff.

My weekend is made.

Good passing footie - and a win - top 4 finish this season me thinks. Aspas looks good

Exciting match. The goalkeepers were the best players with their great saves.
    I was shattered when they got the penalty so late in the game ,but when "The Mig" (That's my nickname for him) saved it i was doing handstands. :)

• How low have Arsenal fallen? Tomorrow is already a big game for them...another loss and I think bergkamp and de boer will be asked to take the helm.
    How low have Arsenal fallen? Tomorrow is already a big game for them...another loss and I think bergkamp and de boer will be asked to take the helm.

If they fail qualification for the Champions League? Wenger can kiss goodbye to any big signings this season that's for sure!
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    How low have Arsenal fallen? Tomorrow is already a big game for them...another loss and I think bergkamp and de boer will be asked to take the helm.

If they fail qualification for the Champions League? Wenger can kiss goodbye to any big signings this season that's for sure!

If he fails to qualify, he might be kissing goodbye to his club. He's got to make the group stages otherwise he's in trouble.
  • Haha bit of footie fan meself. Watched Escape to Victory on Sky the other week, bloody good movie. Micheal Caine, Sly, ***ing Pele for petes sake haha. A bit of a snoozer at the start, too old with the period piece type stuff & talk talk, talk. But theres a lot of good footie towards the end, good last scene with the pool match ( if you get my meaning haha, wont spoil it).

Wont be shocked if you aint seen it, its an oldy. Im a Rovers supporter meself. "Go blackburn" haha
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Haha bit of footie fan meself. Watched Escape to Victory on Sky the other week, bloody good movie. Micheal Caine, Sly, ***ing Pele for petes sake haha. A bit of a snoozer at the start, too old with the period piece type stuff & talk talk, talk. But theres a lot of good footie towards the end, good last scene with the pool match ( if you get my meaning haha, wont spoil it).

Wont be shocked if you aint seen it, its an oldy. Im a Rovers supporter meself. "Go blackburn" haha

I'm always wary of a new member but any bloke who likes Escape to Victory and has Richard O'Sullivan references as his user name cant be all bad.

Escape to Victory has to be probably the greatest concept for a film ever conceived. Yeah it is a bit slow with all the stuff when Sly escapes with the resistance and I've always felt the climax (Sly saving a pen) is a bit stupid - we should have scored a last minute winner surely? But presumably it was contractual that Sly is the hero.

I always get a lump in my throat in the second half when we refuse to escape and start taking the Hun apart in slow motion with overhead flicks and bicycle kicks.