Most horrible deaths in Bond films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bradford4 wrote:
    One thing we can all agree on. The Bond series is NOT for children.

whoops. ;)
  • Bradford4 wrote:

I started watching when I was 8.
    James Bond is for all ages. It was when it started off on the big screen in the early 1960s and has continued to this day. Ok, Craig has brought a more hard edged Bond to our screens and away from the sugar coated tenure of some of the previous actors who portrayed the iconic character, but there's nothing overly questionable or no reason why mature teenagers or kids can't enjoy. As with the above, starting getting into Bond at an early age, maybe not as young as what was mentioned, but still at an early age. Bond today is mostly how it's always been, suitable for all. You go into theaters for the last release, you will have seen all ages in their seats, youngsters included. After all, while James Bond may have raised the bar in terms of moderate action violence in the last decade, kids aren't going to be too concerned with what they see in Bond, compared with overall action today and releases wherever you find them, that may cause any offense. Bond today is viewable for all to enjoy, it's hardly changed has it, right from day one
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    James Bond is for all ages. It was when it started off on the big screen in the early 1960s and has continued to this day. Ok, Craig has brought a more hard edged Bond to our screens and away from the sugar coated tenure of some of the previous actors who portrayed the iconic character, but there's nothing overly questionable or no reason why mature teenagers or kids can't enjoy. As with the above, starting getting into Bond at an early age, maybe not as young as what was mentioned, but still at an early age. Bond today is mostly how it's always been, suitable for all. You go into theaters for the last release, you will have seen all ages in their seats, youngsters included. After all, while James Bond may have raised the bar in terms of moderate action violence in the last decade, kids aren't going to be too concerned with what they see in Bond, compared with overall action today and releases wherever you find them, that may cause any offense. Bond today is viewable for all to enjoy, it's hardly changed has it, right from day one

Bang on the money.

I saw Bond go over the edge of the cliff in TSWLM when I was about 5 and I've never looked back.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Bradford4 wrote:

Well in the 20th century they brought out loads of toys for like young people but if you know what I mean its turning more adult because of the amount of swearing in it.
    No one has mentioned that builders in CR on the construction site when he falls with the thing round his ankle and he falls and blows up that must be horrible. And Klotkoff from AVTAK who gets chopped up.
    Bradford4 wrote:

I saw my first Bond film when I was 4.
    Bradford4 wrote:

I saw my first Bond film when I was 4.
    Sweet Jesus that is young mine was 7. What film was it and don't say LTK.
    Elliot Carver
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 418
    Milton Krest - Licence to Kill - (goes through me everytime i watch it)..

Tilly Masterson's hit to the head by Odd Jobs steel rimmed hat. (Goldfinger)

Helga Brandt getting fed to the Piranha's..(You Only Live Twice)

Corinne Clery running for her life in Moonraker

VJ - Octopussy

May Day blowing herself up.. A View to a Kill
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That guy that went into the snow distributor in OHMSS mustn't have had a very nice death, though he did have a lot of guts, I suppose.
    Quarrel's death was really quite horrifying. That look of terror on his face just before he's hit with the flames is nothing short of nightmare-inducing.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Most horrific-looking, realistic and effective deaths in a Bond film:
    01) 'Krest's head being exploded by high pressure - LTK':
    This IS indeed painful. Especially the moment before your head explodes. Bold choice of Cubby to bring this horror-moment on screen, but for me it worked.
    02) 'Zorin's face just seconds before his death - AVTAK':
    I find that so horrible.....seeing a person's face in the very last moment of health, before falling down like a doll. Ughh, imagine if you were Zorin.
    03) 'Frightened Severine being killed off by Silva - SF':
    This made my stomach turn actually.....poor poor poor Severine. All her life being prostituted and then you end like that.
    04) 'Francois Derval oxygen being cut off by Largo - TB':
    The sheer panic and trying to get loose...is painful to look at. It makes Derval's death look pretty horrific.
    05) 'Dario being shredded to minced meat - LTK':
    Aaauuuwww, you can actually FEEL your death. First lower body parts and then slowly the shredder 'gets' you entirely. Painful.
    06) 'Blofeld's henchman falls in the snowplow - OHMSS':
    Same as with Dario. But the screaming is nice. And indeed, it would cause a big mess in the snow. Hmm, I have a title for a new Bond film: 'Operation Snow Goes Red'
    07) 'Silva kill's one last guy in the committee room - SF':
    That last bullit. You must be a sheer psychotic to kill people that easily. A bit Zorin-esque, but then even more realistic. Nice look on Silva's face.
    08) 'Rosa Klebb's final scream after being shot - FRWL':
    This is what I call acting. Turning a simple shot in one ultimate death struggle. Lovely. It makes Ms Klebb look even more psychotic.
    09) 'Tracy being killed by Irma Bunt's sniper rifle - OHMSS':
    Like Severine's death. Quick and easy, but the emotions that come free with the audience are particularly heavy. Something like that could have been done much better with Vesper Lyndt. I wasnt very keen on her death. I wanted to see killing herself with a bullit through her skull. Simple and with the blood more horrific. And make the moment last until a deep emotional Vesper pulls the trigger. Would have worked better.
    10) 'Silva grabbing, twisting and stinging her already deadly wound - SF':
    The sounds 'M' makes....they were just plain horrific and very effective. The look on Silva's face is 'pricelessly psychotic'.

Probably very painful to feel, but cheesily executed, almost causing laughter:
    01) 'Kananga being inflated to explosion - LALD':
    Sorry, a typical Guy Hamilton-death. Incredibly cheesy that it makes you laugh. One could ask himself/herself what a mess it really would create. Suitable for a Bond film?
    02) 'Goldfinger being sucked out an airplane - GF':
    Again very Hamilton-esque. In reality you can never make such a death look realistic. Kids like these kind of scenes more.
    03) 'Alec Trevelyan dies twice?? - GE':
    Once you fall, you are dead! Period. This is already where the cheesiness from the Brosnan movies start.
    04) 'Helga Brandt being killed by piranhas - YOLT':
    Sorry, it didn't work for me. Just a scream, "Osatooo!" and another scream. Hmmm. Dammit, I wanna see blood! I wanna see that scene last. Something that has been done much better with Felix Leiter being eaten by sharks. I even think, the piranha-scene could be done again in Bond 24! Just make it more horrific. Actually see some flesh fall of a beautiful woman's leg. Some bones here and there.
    05) 'Hugo Drax takes the first step for villain's kind - MR':
    Ah well, Moonraker was a kind of 'family film', but I would have loved to see Hugo's face freezing to death. Up, close and personal. Something like that has been done with 'Mission To Mars'.
    06) 'Blofeld's final death by acting like Santa Clause - FYEO':
    It's funny yes, and it causes a certain death. But it just looks so incredibly cheesy. Blofeld deserved a far better, more horrific death and not such an 'on screen joke'.

Really nice topic @samainsy ;-)!!!
    Anyone else have a favourite list of 'deaths' ;-)?
    I am glad I am not the only one thinking Rosa Klebb's death was gripping and seemed so really painful.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I am glad I am not the only one thinking Rosa Klebb's death was gripping and seemed so really painful.

Imagine if that was your granma :-P. It must be said though, Lotte Lenya was an incredible stage actor. Something the Bond franchise is using in the past three films: Good stage actors or actors with plentiful recognition (Oscars).
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 14,816
    Ludovico wrote:

Imagine if that was your granma :-P. It must be said though, Lotte Lenya was an incredible stage actor. Something the Bond franchise is using in the past three films: Good stage actors or actors with plentiful recognition (Oscars).

She was an amazing actress. She made her death so convincing too. A simple bullet, yet there is so much anger and spite in that last cry. I wonder if it was the pain of being killed by such a beautiful woman, unable herself to kill a man she despised.
    Milton Crests death and Dr Kananga pretty gruesome and extremely painful i would think.

Felix leiter surviving shark attack probably tops it as he lived to remember it. :-) Obviously does not quality as Felix did not die, probably more painful.
    Kotto (Kananga) was just simply humorous above all else, not to mention asinine. There's nothing overly horrendous about it or even gruesome. Whatever was said before, the most nasty deaths of the franchise would have to include Helga Brandt, Corrine Dufour, Dario, Hans, Paris Carver (it's the imagination aspect of what Kaufman may have done), Milton Krest as mentioned, then possibly Aki and Plenty O Toole for example. Not forgetting Vesper Lynd - you can never leave her out
    I completely forgot the death of Lisl von Schlaff in FYEO. Damn what an horrific carcrash.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Kotto (Kananga) was just simply humorous above all else, not to mention asinine. There's nothing overly horrendous about it or even gruesome. Whatever was said before, the most nasty deaths of the franchise would have to include Helga Brandt, Corrine Dufour, Dario, Hans, Paris Carver (it's the imagination aspect of what Kaufman may have done), Milton Krest as mentioned, then possibly Aki and Plenty O Toole for example. Not forgetting Vesper Lynd - you can never leave her out

Well the thread title is 'most horrible deaths' isn't it? Not most realistically portrayed or dramatic deaths.

So Kanaga would have to be up there as it is basically the same as Krest and it would hurt - a lot not to mention the splatter effect all over the room.

Actually while we're at it why isn't Solitaires white dress splattered with blood and bits of Kananga?
    Seriously, am I the only person who thinks Quarrel's death was terrifying?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Seriously, am I the only person who thinks Quarrel's death was terrifying?

It certainly wasn't a pretty affair, but I'd really need to re-watch it.
  • oo7oo7
    Saunders
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,639
    The SPECTRE guard that falls into a tree......I'm guessing he's *not* a big fan of DYKHCTAM.....lol ;)

(dunno if he died but it sure must've been painful !)

Falling to death (Gobinda , Zorin , Necros) , burnt alive (Kidd) , shredded (Dario....Carvers death is a tad amusing) , Stromberg ("ballseye , Fishfinger !")........those were the most horrific if I had to choose.
    what was that above abbreviation ? Little tired now in my defense

And what SPECTRE guard and what tree ? Got to say, I admittedly often find the Quarrel death amusing more than anything else, but realize if we take it seriously, it must of been pretty horrific for the character in question. Saunders demise never generates much, wasn't a character some may care for, and as for a horrible death, No - I just couldn't classify it as that. Necros off the cargo plane would of been far more horrific, those few seconds as you fall, as your life flashes in front of you. I think it's far more highlighted than some recent character mentions
    Quarrel's death was really quite horrifying. That look of terror on his face just before he's hit with the flames is nothing short of nightmare-inducing.
    Do we have a sensitive man hands here?
    02) 'Goldfinger being sucked out an airplane - GF':
    Again very Hamilton-esque. In reality you can never make such a death look realistic.
    Modern cinematography does it. Witness; World War Z, which is worth of awards.
    Richardo wrote:

Sorry, Richardo, do you not have a way of discussing things without mocking people?
    Richardo wrote:

Sorry, Richardo, do you not have a way of discussing things without mocking people?
    In actuality, I was joking! I apologize for being offensive.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Richardo wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

In actuality, I was joking! I apologize for being offensive.

Sorry, I believe I jumped the gun on that. The BigGayIsland ordeal has had me on edge, now almost anything can come across as trolling to me, unfortunately.

Back on topic, Della's death is quite horrific to think about when the rape is taken into account. Plus the gunshot wound is in the center of her chest, we don't know that she necessarily died instantly. Sharkey's always unnerves me as well, for a similar reason that it's not exactly clear how he died.