Most horrible deaths in Bond films

Comments

• samainsysamainsy Suspended
    samainsy wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    fine then I'll speak proper English is this any better?Look I've got capital letters and everything.You should be proud, and yes I'll stop arguing.Any better,

Well it's an improvement certainly but starting a sentence in lower case and ending with a comma shows that claims of 'proper English' are somewhat exaggerated!
    That was a typing mistake, thank you for spotting it out for me.

Ludovico wrote:
    Anybody mentioned Dr. No's death? He was boiled to death AND knew that his plan was thwarted in the same time, which may have been more painful for him, giving his hubris.

his death in the book is much better
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Anybody mentioned Dr. No's death? He was boiled to death AND knew that his plan was thwarted in the same time, which may have been more painful for him, giving his hubris.

What was it? I read some of the book then lost it then sold it
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    samainsy wrote:
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I suggest you read it again. Describing the end would be difficult without making it sound a bit ridiculous.

Also, there's this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._No_(novel)#Plot
    ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I suggest you read it again. Describing the end would be difficult without making it sound a bit ridiculous.

Also, there's this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._No_(novel)#Plot
    ;-)
    I'll have to re-buy it from somewhere and thanks for the link.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 546
    1.Sir Hugo Drax in MR
    2.Elliot Carver in TND
    3.Stamper in TND
    4.Alec Trevelyn in GE
    5.Sir Gustav Graves in DAD
    6.Helga Brandt & Hans in YOLT
    7.Necros in TLD
    8.Franz Sanchez in LTK
    9.Dario in LTK
    10.Ernest Stavro Blofeld in FYEO
    11.Gominda in OP
    Agreed with most of those above.

I reckon the "they'll print anything these days" guy in TND deserves a spot too. In terms of gore it doesn't show much but I reckon being chucked into a printer would be a painful way to go.

Simply doesn't work, because Brosnan just grins through it, and offers a poor attempt at humor. Yes, it's an unusual exit, but not really gory so to speak - just different. But any upsetting factor is simply made redundant by Brosnan himself, being almost flippant and smirking and making a 'funny' quip. A real Bond film death that works has to be where the killer themselves shows no remorse for their victim, and certainly doesn't offer any puns or wisecracks after a killing. Moore's killing of Karl Stromberg would be one great example, but Brosnan at the Hamburg printing rooms, just didn't work for me. Horrible death ?, no it was a silly death, I feel
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117

I reckon the "they'll print anything these days" guy in TND deserves a spot too. In terms of gore it doesn't show much but I reckon being chucked into a printer would be a painful way to go.

Simply doesn't work, because Brosnan just grins through it, and offers a poor attempt at humor. Yes, it's an unusual exit, but not really gory so to speak - just different. But any upsetting factor is simply made redundant by Brosnan himself, being almost flippant and smirking and making a 'funny' quip. A real Bond film death that works has to be where the killer themselves shows no remorse for their victim, and certainly doesn't offer any puns or wisecracks after a killing. Moore's killing of Karl Stromberg would be one great example, but Brosnan at the Hamburg printing rooms, just didn't work for me. Horrible death ?, no it was a silly death, I feel

Arent we discussing the mechanics of the deaths themselves not other characters reactions to them?

If the criteria of a horrible death is Bond not making a lame quip over it then we are left pretty much with Tracy, Vesper and M.

I would say the printing press death is probably not far off the 'he has lots of guts' guy both in terms of bone crunching pain and Bond quippery so is justified in being included in this list.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189

Arent we discussing the mechanics of the deaths themselves not other characters reactions to them?

If the criteria of a horrible death is Bond not making a lame quip over it then we are left pretty much with Tracy, Vesper and M.

I would say the printing press death is probably not far off the 'he has lots of guts' guy both in terms of bone crunching pain and Bond quippery so is justified in being included in this list.

Could we add Grave's death to that? Its nature is grisly and there's a naff quip there too. Maybe even add Drax's death aswell.

My vote for "nastiest death" all round goes to either Sanchez (The heat was certainly on that time :D ) or Krest. Probably the latter as he had to go through not only the physical agony but also the mental agony of knowing that he he'd been set up.

"PLEEASSE FRANZ, NO!!! AAAAAHHHHH"

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Xenia in GE. Having her spine effectively ripped out of place must have been pretty horrible...I'm suprised she didn't enjoy it :p
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @BAIN123 She always did enjoy a good squeeze. ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 61
    Mods get off peoples back for spelling and grammar. Its getting to be harassing. This aint a police state like we have here in US.

The most heartbreaking horrible death for me was Herr Stamper in TND. He is stuck to the rocket and knows

KNOWShe will soon die. Hes already lost all his friends "for Kaufman!" "And Carver." Could you imagine that kind of fear?

Mod edit: Expect a PM.
    Murdock wrote:
    @BAIN123 She always did enjoy a good squeeze. ;)

I know some don't like that line but I've never had a problem with it. According to the commentary Martin Campbell wasn't sure whether to keep that in or not.
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Maybe. Still, the one in the movie was horrible all the same.
    I think Dr No's demise was amusing and disturbing at the same time, but can't quite pinpoint where exactly any humor comes into it, but one or two smirks have been evident during viewing

I would of put Rosie Carver into this, but her death was more upsetting than horrific. Still something uncomfortable whenever you see it

Maybe Kronsteen warrants a mention, with the slow acting poison. Was hardly a nice way to go, or if not him, then the Bond impersonator at the SPECTRE gardens at the very start, killed by Donald Grant. One or the other
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Aki.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Would Drax have felt anything or just lose it straight away?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Has anyone mentioned that poor bastard Zorin has killed with the underwater intake fan in A View to a Kill? That was pretty gnarly.

This guy:
    http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_427.htm
  • A lot of guys get ripped to shreds in Bond movies.

Has anybody mentioned Blofeld in FYEO? I can't imagine going down an industrial chimney is very pleasant.
    Would Drax have felt anything or just lose it straight away?

I think it might have been quick but very painful.
    What about that guy's in OHMSS when he gets cut up?
    Gerard wrote:
    Damballah's in LALD. But then, of course, I hate snakes.

The henchman meeting the snowplow in OHMSS. "Lots of guts", indeed.

Delia's in LTK. Not because of what we see, but of what we imagine.

Krest's and Dorio's in the same movie. And Lupe's lover too ("Give her his heart!" Chilling). BTW, LTK has quite a few horrible deaths.
    Why what happened to her off screen... I knew she got stabbed but what else? :((

Oh how could I forget that one? Such an awful way to go. I still think Dr No being slowly boiled alive might be the worst. Dying slowly, horribly AND knowing you had lost.
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh how could I forget that one? Such an awful way to go. I still think Dr No being slowly boiled alive might be the worst. Dying slowly, horribly AND knowing you had lost.

Or Strawberry Fields (terrible Bond girl) and Jill Masterson being covered in oil/paint and Fields got it in her. Also Greenes how did he die? Oil or bullets and who shot him?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:

Or Strawberry Fields (terrible Bond girl) and Jill Masterson being covered in oil/paint and Fields got it in her. Also Greenes how did he die? Oil or bullets and who shot him?

His own side (Quantum) shot him, I assume.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Why though because he failed? And how did he fail? Such a bad film not watched it in ages watching it later though.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Why though because he failed? And how did he fail? Such a bad film not watched it in ages watching it later though.

Well, the Bolivian coup was an abject failure, was it not?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh yeah.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh yeah.

The Quantum organisation would have lost much influence in the country as a result, as well as the monetary loss associated with losing the resale of the Bolivian water supply.
    Ludovico wrote:

I think Field was okay as a Bond girl. Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but better as a minor Bond girl than many we have seen.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    One thing we can all agree on. The Bond series is NOT for children.