Never Say Never Again Blu-Ray!

edited March 2013 in News Posts: 1,548
Just been casually browsing Amazon and to my great surprise noticed that NSNA is being released in April. With Bonus features it appears ie commentary and docs. Happy days. Just need Quatum Collectors Edition now with alternative ending and commentary.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Interesting news. I desire some honest talk about McClory's irrational hatred towards the folks at EON.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've done a bit of digging around, and the commentary features Irvin Kershner & 007 historian Jay Rubin.

Scroll down to Supplements for an overview of the extras:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2071/neversayneveragain.html
    Thanks for the heads up, will certainly buy it if only for the extras.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's already been mentioned in this thread somewhere:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1924/james-bond-on-blu-ray

It has been out for a couple of years in the US I believe so the UK finally get it at last - if anyone wanted it. ;)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 140
    Actually, NSNA blu ray is currently out of print in the US. The few copies available through Amazon Marketplace are priced around $100.
    A re-issue then. Who have thought they wouldn't have printed enough?
  • I for one will be getting it. It's a good film, has its problems and obviously lacking the Eon shine but still Worthing of being a Bond film. Look forward to seeing the extras.
  • So does any one know if this reissue. UK/ Region Free version has the horse falling scene cut? I heard that is possible that it was cut because of cruelty and such.
  • A colossal waste of money for an unofficial Bond film and third rate ripoff of Thunderball, as far as I am concerned.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A colossal waste of money for an unofficial Bond film and third rate ripoff of Thunderball, as far as I am concerned.

I'll buy it for a penny but no more! :P
  • Murdock wrote:
    A colossal waste of money for an unofficial Bond film and third rate ripoff of Thunderball, as far as I am concerned.

I'll buy it for a penny but no more! :P

I might splurge for an extra 98 cents but that's about it ;)
  • So does any one know if this reissue. UK/ Region Free version has the horse falling scene cut? I heard that is possible that it was cut because of cruelty and such.

Wanting to know because if there's cuts I may have to wait out on finding a US release or waiting for another US rerelease.
    The UK version will likely be cut again, so I'd go with the US version just to be on the safe side.
    I was able to score the DVD/Blu-ray combo pack of NSNA at FYE about a month back for only $10. So I'll most definitely be passing on the UK release, especially seeing how it's cut. Still, a US re-release on Blu-ray would be ideal...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I agree; don't own it, don't need to myself.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd like to own it just so it's part of the Bond collection, but I refuse to pay such a high price for it on blu-ray.
  • MaxRebo120 wrote:
    I was able to score the DVD/Blu-ray combo pack of NSNA at FYE about a month back for only $10. So I'll most definitely be passing on the UK release, especially seeing how it's cut. Still, a US re-release on Blu-ray would be ideal...

You lucky man, I checked the website and they don't seem to have any on there. Anyone that own this new version confirm that it's cut? It's so much cheaper than having to track down a US copy haha
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For me the best scene in the movie is the training sequence where Bond gets "stabbed" i the end. This is a version thet was rescored with Barry's music and it really worked.

• RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    I agree; don't own it, don't need to myself.

Ditto. Seen it. Don't need to own it. £10 spent on that is £10 towards a replica of the GE key.
    I admittedly have never seen NSNA, is it worth a watch?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,787
    MaidenDeth wrote:
    I admittedly have never seen NSNA, is it worth a watch?

Only once probably. Not seen it in years myself.
    The chance to see the worst rug of Connery's career in all the BluRay goodness is surely to appealing to turn down?
    Uhm.....guys? Can I say that I found Sean Connery better in NSNA than in DAF? By jolly, we are a bit exaggerating at times I think. As a standalone film NSNA was a pretty good action thriller. And as a fim it was perhaps better than DAF, AVTAK and DAD. Purely as a Bond film, I can understand the negativity. But just a bit....

NSNA is not an official Bond film....but it still is a worthy film that stars her majesty's secret agent 007.
  • RC7RC7
    NSNA is not an official Bond film....but it still is a worthy film that stars her majesty's secret agent 007.

Not in my view it isn't. It lacks class, scope, charm... the list goes on. If you removed any one of the official canon from existence I'd be devastated, as they all add their own unique elements to the Bond cocktail. If you removed NSNA I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote:

Not in my view it isn't. It lacks class, scope, charm... the list goes on. If you removed any one of the official canon from existence I'd be devastated, as they all add their own unique elements to the Bond cocktail. If you removed NSNA I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

A) I prefer villain Maximillian Largo over villain Kamahl Kahn. Klaus Maria Brandauer was fantastic. He should have been in an official EON film.
    B) I prefer henchwoman Fatima Blush over henchman Gobinda. It earned actress Barbara Carrera a Golden Globe nomination. One of the most delicious bitches in Bond history.
    C) I prefer Sean Connery's performance as 007 in NSNA over Roger Moore's performance in AVTAK. Sean was way fitter than in DAF.
    D) I prefer Kim Basinger as Domino Petachi over Tanya Roberts' performance as Stacey Sutton. The last 'smart blond Bond woman'.

In all honesty? Like George Lazenby's performance in OHMSS, this entire NSNA-film is being judged unfairly. Solely because it's a non-EON film. Yes, it doesn't have the storyline, plot, official music, main titles an official EON-film has, but that doesn't mean that the acting performances were dull and without class.

I'm thinking of creating a NSNA-appreciation topic now, because I also know NSNA is completely ignored on the official MI6-website. there's no information to be found of this film. Yes, NSNA still is an unofficial James Bond film, but nonetheless...a Bond film!
  • RC7RC7
    but that doesn't mean that the acting performances were dull and without class.

It's the whole production that lacks class. A class clearly evident in every one of the official films. Just my opinion, but for the record I think you're clinically brain dead if you think NSNA is better than AVTAK. Just saying. ;)
    RC7 wrote:
    but that doesn't mean that the acting performances were dull and without class.

It's the whole production that lacks class. A class clearly evident in every one of the official films. Just my opinion, but for the record I think you're clinically brain dead if you think NSNA is better than AVTAK. Just saying. ;)

I am me :-).
    whatever one feels, Connery has proved himself as the original bond twice by coming back to don the role. Compared to the Bond imitators, this original Bond still had the crowd pulling capacity. As a Connery movie it is Bond movie and I enjoyed it compared to other Bond actors who always make one to feel that something is missing in their enacting the role compared to Connery. I agree with Gustav's views and love to add the Blueray NSNA as one of my proud collections of Bond movies with Connery. I do not want to waste my money on other Bond imitator's so called Bo
  • Here is the horse jump as seen on the US release. I'm assuming the UK DVDs and BD are or will still be cut, to be honest I haven't bothered looking since VHS days...

• edited July 2013 Posts: 38
    According to the BBFC website, this latest version doesn't have any cuts listed...

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/never-say-never-again-1983#relatedWorks

EDIT

According to dvd forums I've been searching, the 2013 UK Region B blu-ray IS indeed still missing the horsefall shot shown above. The German and French blu-ray, however (also Region B), is uncut. Amazon.de is your friend.