The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 225</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b> "The writers get progressively more naive in their creation of a suburban dream of epicureanism and adventure." [David Robinson of The Times on TMWTGG]</b></font>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Great. So I just had to look up "epicureanism" to make sure it was what I was vaguely assuming it was (an enjoyment and pursuit of the "finer" things in life; good wine, good women/men; quality over quantity, etc.) So I guess I was vaguely in line with it. Hmmm.

I'm tired. What is this thesis saying? That from TMWTGG represented a false or exaggerated lifestyle of lavish pleasure? And one of my first thoughts is: Just about that time, didn't we go into the TV series Fantasy Island? (U.S.A.) Like right after this movie, I think. Looking at Scaramanga's island home, then came TSWLM with Stromberg's fantastic underwater abode (not to mention the Lotus that turned into a minisub). How is that naive? Fantastic yes; naive? I don't get it.

Okay. Just to stop my brain from bubbling over (I am soooooooooooooo tired just now), I will disagree.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't really get it either (and used the whole wiki-page to get an idea of what's beeing says). If I read it correctly, the producers got more 'naive' in their portrayal of the finer things in life? How could one get naive in doing such a thing? I don't really consider Bond a suburban dream either. Or is it meant in a way of Bond beeing the protector of such a world, where everything is perfect? But they don't really show 'suburban life' now do they?

so... disagree.

I'll state that Robinson should stop smoking joints though.
    :-P
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ah, here we go. A reviewer tries to seem intelligent by using a big word but just comes off as a pretentious git. If anything, the series and its escapism, adventure and Bond's own hedonistic living increased as time went on, and didn't get more undeveloped, unimportant or simple. As Moore's era went on after TMWTGG we got bigger and even more lavish locations, amazingly behemoth sets, Bond continuing to indulge in the pleasures both in food and skin of the areas he was in and more as time went on, so I have no idea what this David Robinson is on about. Either he wasn't/isn't a Bond fan and is just plain ignorant of the films before TMWTGG, or as I said, he is trying to seem smarter than he is by using words above his reading level. Any way you spin it, it makes no sense as a statement and certainly doesn't hold up well once properly picked apart and analyzed.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 225</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b> "The writers get progressively more naive in their creation of a suburban dream of epicureanism and adventure." [David Robinson of The Times on TMWTGG]</b></font>

Not sure on this one?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 202</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Timothy Dalton could have done not only GoldenEye, but ALL of Brosnan's movies.</b></font>

Sorry, had to chime in on this old one. I'd like to believe Dalton would have walked off the set of DAD.

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 226</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>YOLT is the most parody inspiring of the Bond films.</b></font>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>YOLT is the most parody inspiring of the Bond films.</b></font>
    Gosh...it isn't the most over the top film in the series, but I think I might agree. I mean, we have :

*Bond being "transformed" into a Japanese man.

*The villain with an eye scar and cat (that we finally see all of this time around). We even see said villain hold their pinkie to their mouth in a photo from shooting.

*The massive volcano hideout hidden in plain sight.

*The "death" and resurrection of the hero.

*The space plot that is at its roots about creating tensions between nations.

I'm sure there are more, but there are many things here that we see often parodied.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agreed. Austin powers relied heavily on the outlandishness of YOLT with using...

Bald villain with a scar on his face wearing a Nehru jacket. (An amalgamation of Dr. No and Blofeld.) Dr. Evil! (Also Dr. Evil's introduction was his face unseen until a meeting room scene parodying Thunderball.)

Volcano/Underground Lair.

Space Rocket that opens up in the front to bring in something. (In this case Mini Me.)

Musical ques reminiscent of "Capsule in Space" and "Mountains and Sunsets."

Mister Roboto an obvious parody of Osato, along with an added Sumo scene for good measure.

Genetically engineered Sea Bass. (Parody of Blofelds Piranhas.)

Oh and Austin Powers goes to Japan.

That's about all the YOLT stuff used in Austin Powers.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree: The Austin Powers series confirms that.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 227</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Silva's CGI'd scarecrow face was too perfumed an effect for a more serious Bond film.</b></font>
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Re: Silva's CGI'd scarecrow face was too perfumed an effect for a more serious Bond film.

Disagree.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It was alright. Lord knows we've had much worse in what started out as serious films.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It was alright. Lord knows we've had much worse in what started out as serious films.

Could be wrong but we are talking DAD, right? ;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Disgree. made his revenge story more acceptble
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I thought it looked stupid regardless of how serious the film is or isn't supposed to be. I'll agree though because I don't like it and I don't think it fits.
  • Disagree. It was legitimately creepy and added a lot to his story of brokenness and revenge.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Disagree, as well as being a rather large nod towards Fleming's taste for villains with deformities it also served as a metaphor for the ugliness below the carefully managed façade of Silva's character. Personally I found the effect genuinely unsettling and realistic and it was only on repeated DVD viewings when the CGI became apparent.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Disagree; although I knew part of Silva's face was CGI, I found it rather eerie.
    Somebody yelled "My precious" during this bit when I saw SF in cinema which made it actually funny. For me the scene will always be remembered with that remark. I did not mind the scene at all....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Disagree. I loved it. The villain with a disfigurement is so Flemingesque.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Disagree. It fit Fleming's Bond and was well done.
  • 00Hero00Hero Banned
    Its not really a scarecrow face imo but disagree with @Dimi its one of the best sceens in the film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    While I feel it does slightly stand out from the rest of the film tonally, then again- as mentioned above- it is a very Flemingesque detail to give the villain a physical trait. Besides, we've seen these traits in the more serious films (albeit to a lesser degree) i.e. Scaramanga's third nipple; Le Chiffre's eye etc. I'm kind of on the fence with this one. I think the main issue is the amount of deformation in his face- perhaps it's a bit much for the film's tone. However, it really needs to be severe to make Silva's revenge believable. In conclusion, I'm leaning more towards disagreeing with the theory.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    dissagree. It looked fine, but when he put his false teeth back in it looked fake.
    Disagree: Its looked good to me...as long as they didn't over use it trough out the film then that would have bothered me.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Silva's CGI'd scarecrow face was too perfumed an effect for a more serious Bond film.</b></font>

Disagree: I thought it was pretty good, if it had been over done I think we could have ended up slating that particular scene? Where instead it was one twist I was not expecting?
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree: The Austin Powers series confirms that.

Yes, not to mention TSWLM and TND follow a similar premise.

DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree as well. Classic, deformed, psychotic Bond villain. Silva is one of the great ones, that's confirmed for me with each and every re-watch. I wasn't thinking of his face in CGI terms but if it is, this is a good use of the medium.

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 228</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>In most of his Bond films, Roger Moore was the better actor in the lead cast.</b></font>
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 228</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>In most of his Bond films, Roger Moore was the better actor in the lead cast.</b></font>

Most, yes. TMWTGG and AVTAK probably being the exceptions. Maybe even MR.