Dalton & Craig; the Intensity factor

2»

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Dragonpol wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Robert Shaw was giving away a masterclass of free acting lessons in FRWL. His performance was nothing short of magnificent.

Agreed. He played the part with great venom. He really stole the show in FRWL. Shaw was a playwright, too, but he died too young in 1978.

Very true indeed. A fine actor he was, his screen presence was magnetic and his charisma palpable.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sandy wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Robert Shaw was giving away a masterclass of free acting lessons in FRWL. His performance was nothing short of magnificent.

Agreed. He played the part with great venom. He really stole the show in FRWL. Shaw was a playwright, too, but he died too young in 1978.

Very true indeed. A fine actor he was, his screen presence was magnetic and his charisma palpable.

Something that I didn't know was that he actually died while filming in the Republic of Ireland. He was of Irish descent, it seems. There's a stone memorial to him there that was unveiled in 2008, which was a nice touch.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    Yeah, talk about 'intensity', eh? Wow.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A very underrated actor. Truly one of the greats.
    The original Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is one of my favourite movies of all time. Perhaps more so than any of the Bond films. Shaw is a huge reason why.
    chrisisall wrote:
    What I love about both Dalton & Craig is their 'intensity factor', that is, the thing no other actors brought to the role as well as they did (do in Craig's case). The other four, as great as they were, never achieved that electric sense of urgency to Bond, that feeling that they could snap at any moment.

Thoughts on this?

I did not have a problem with Dalton in TLD, but LTK was another story - very unbelievable and very contrived.

I am afraid that Craig's intensity is there to mask the worry of the producer that he cannot fulfill, a credible speaking role to larger degree than he has now.
    Perdogg wrote:
    I am afraid that Craig's intensity is there to mask the worry of the producer that he cannot fulfill, a credible speaking role to larger degree than he has now.
    I used to dislike Craig as well. I have evolved beyond that. :))
    I do not like the way Dalton got slammed for his intensity portrayal of Bond while Craig is praised for it. I guess after 12 years of Moore, the bottom feeding critics just were not ready for a "real" Bond.

We must toss in Lazenby's great physicality if discussing Craig/Dalton.
    IMHO Craig is a combination of Dalton and Lazenby
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Good point!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I used to dislike Craig as well. I have evolved beyond that. :))

Yeah, this remark is stirr crazy #-o
    Craig is a great Bond, period. IMHO of course.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I We must toss in Lazenby's great physicality if discussing Craig/Dalton.

Maybe thats why hes so good. A pretty irresistible mix there.
    @Wizard. Personally I think his acting in M's death scene echos (perhaps even outshines?) Laz's performance at the end of OHMSS. I feel so sorry for him in that scene, like someone who has lost their grandmother. The way he struggles to keep it together and gently closes her eyes before breaking down is just so powerful.The "intensity" of Dalton with the "vulnerability" of Laz perhaps?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The "intensity" of Dalton with the "vulnerability" of Laz perhaps?
    I'd say yes. Good call, BAIN. And yeah, I cried at that scene. Just a little...
  • To me, the acting of Lazenby lacked the entire movie. His "vulnerability" at the end felt too rushed for me. That being said, I'm biased because I dislike Lazenby very much so.