Pierce Brosnan: "I Loved Skyfall"

Comments

BMT216A wrote:
    I wonder if we would see his legacy differently if he, noticeably younger, had also starred in TLD and LTK

I love Brosnan's Bond but he wasn't ready in the 80s.

Plus I can't bear to imagine a world without Dalton as Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    BMT216A wrote:
    I wonder if we would see his legacy differently if he, noticeably younger, had also starred in TLD and LTK

I love Brosnan's Bond but he wasn't ready in the 80s.

Plus I can't bear to imagine a world without Dalton as Bond.

Considering most casual movie goers don't even know who he is or that he has been Bond, we basically do in some part.

Its great to see Pierce watching them as a fan like us again! Good on PB! :-bd
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Considering most casual movie goers don't even know who he is or that he has been Bond, we basically do in some part.

Hahahahaha, I don't care! We rabid Dalton fans HAVE GOT his glorious two to worship over & over!!!! ^:)^
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

Hahahahaha, I don't care! We rabid Dalton fans HAVE GOT his glorious two to worship over & over!!!! ^:)^
    Yes, we have to keep his awesome legacy alive. Stupid casual moviegoers...
    It took you ten years pierce but you got there in the end.

A blend? I see more of moore then connery but he was never really his own man.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Pierce is a good man and is absolutely right with what he says here.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,494
    actonsteve wrote:
    It took you ten years pierce but you got there in the end.

I've felt that way for many years and have said so in numerous threads. I can see why Moore fans like Brosnan better than Dalton or Craig, this era is "Moore Jr" and mostly overcooked, no one can do Bond quite the way Sir Roger did and get away with it. Yet, Brosnan is much more a Connery devotee. It really makes me wonder how he managed to be mostly very un-Connery like, and part of the answer is that he didn't put his foot down and put his own stamp on the role as those who came before and followed him have done. The latter part of his era (1999-2002) is the worst in series history by some margin IMHO, and while I wish him well and like him in other roles, I'm not too worried that his new franchise will be much, if any competition for the now superior product in his old job.

actonsteve wrote:
    I don't even know what that's all about. I saw no Connery in Brosnan. Heck, I didn't even see very much Moore... I saw an older, more capable version of Remington Steele is all. And I actually liked that.

So there.
    :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I didn't see Connery or Moore in Brosnan, I just saw Brosnan. His own personality, walk, attitude, charm, etc. did come through. I think he may be harder to peg that's all.

I do like all the Bonds (with the exception of Lazenby), and I find plenty to like in Brosnan. I agree that his first 2 films were the best, but I don't share the same observations as others who say he was never Bond. Respectful but firm disagreement there, gentlemen.
    I find plenty to like in Brosnan. I agree that his first 2 films were the best, but I don't share the same observations as others who say he was never Bond. Respectful but firm disagreement there, gentlemen.
    *virtual hug*
    Question though, was Lazenby too womanizing or too lacking in thespian skills for you? I thought he was pretty good, considering.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    No the womanizing part doesn't bother me. You can click on the "For Original Fans " thread to read my entire review of the film (I forget which page - we have reviewed all the films now ...). :) I simply never bought him as Bond, he was not believable for me, and yes it was I feel that was due to lack of acting skill.

edit: I was able to find the pages, on page 7 of the Originals thread we have SirHenry's excellent review of OHMSS and then we all follow on more or less with our reviews; mine is on page 9 of that thread. Just in case anybody wants to read the full reviews and have not visited that thread yet.
    I simply never bought him as Bond, he was not believable for me, and yes it was I feel that was due to lack of acting skill.

"Lazenby misses the mark for me in this role, by some substantial margin. Yes, the man can fight and move very well - action scenes were believable and had power. Good intro, too. And I believe he undoubtedly tried his best, but he is just not a very good actor. He looked the part enough (and I am maybe more flexible in my requirements in this area than other fans), but I just did not get any of the elements I want in Bond, that make me believe it is James Bond, the believability in that character - and that, truly as demonstrated in what is missing in this film, can only come from a fine actor. "

More than fair enough. L-)
    I feel it is impossible to fully judge George on his performance because of the stupid dubbing. If only we got both a physical and auditory presence from him.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I feel it is impossible to fully judge George on his performance because of the stupid dubbing. If only we got both a physical and auditory presence from him.

But he is only dubbed for 40-minutes or so in the middle of the film. The rest of the film is his voice.
    MrBond wrote:

But he is only dubbed for 40-minutes or so in the middle of the film. The rest of the film is his voice.

It is still a big part of the film where this occurs, and crucial to the plot. Baker dubbed more than just the Bray stuff, though it wasn't that much additional stuff, just some lines here and there it is still present. My point is, 40 minutes is a huge chunk of time. Apparently they shot the Bray scenes with George doing the voice and only after he walked did they have Baker talk over George. I then believe George only found out about the dubbing at the premiere.
    Acting is more than the words spoken, too, though. I wouldn't count against him because he was dubbed.
    Pierce Brosnan is a true gentleman. Pierce has always given Daniel Craig all the praise in the world for his performance as James Bond.
    Acting is more than the words spoken, too, though. I wouldn't count against him because he was dubbed.

I'm not counting it against him, since it isn't his fault. It is just something that bugs me.
    Yes, all the dubbing in Bond films bugs me actually. I wish, for example, that Daniela's voice in FRWL wasn't dubbed. Unless she was truly unintelligible, it would have been nice to hear her accent a bit. Supposed to be Russian, not Italian, though ... oh well. I still dislike dubbing.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'd agree that Brosnan was certainly a hybrid of Connery/Moore but I don't agree with the status that he never made it his own. Stuff like the Dr Kaulfman sequence, the graveyard scene, M's "sexist dinosaur" speech didn't remind me of either of those two. I just saw James Bond in those scenes. His expressions, his posture, his eyes all feel Bond like to me. I thought those were scenes when he came into his own and WASN'T overshadowed by his predecessors.

I love Moore but I have to admit that most of the time I just saw Roger Moore. At least with Brosnan I saw Bond more.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd agree that Brosnan was certainly a hybrid of Connery/Moore but I don't agree with the status that he never made it his own. Stuff like the Dr Kaulfman sequence, the graveyard scene, M's "sexist dinosaur" speech didn't remind me of either of those two. I just saw James Bond in those scenes. His expressions, his posture, his eyes all feel Bond like to me. I thought those were scenes when he came into his own and WASN'T overshadowed by his predecessors.

I love Moore but I have to admit that most of the time I just saw Roger Moore. At least with Brosnan I saw Bond more.

I'd be more aligned with this way of thinking too.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Count me in as well. Moore wasn't playing Bond as much as he was playing Roger Moore playing Bond. I always feel like he's winking at the audience and saying "isn't this just a laugh - I'm playing James Bond!". There's almost no difference between his approach in the Bond films (especially his later stuff) and his role in The Cannonball Run. And that's ok if it's just lighthearted fluff. But, personally, I don't want my Bond to be lighthearted fluff. With Moore I'm often reminded of an old Bevis and Butthead episode where they're watching a music video by the great, but notoriously slacker, band Pavement. B&B's critique was a simple, frustrated, "Try harder, damnit!". I love Moore (more as an ex-Bond, really) and I do enjoy his Bond films when I'm in a certain mood, but I do wish he would've "tried harder" in a lot of his later films.

I'm not the biggest Brosnan fan either, but I'll take his Bond over Moore's anyday.
    Grinderman wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Count me in as well. Moore wasn't playing Bond as much as he was playing Roger Moore playing Bond. I always feel like he's winking at the audience and saying "isn't this just a laugh - I'm playing James Bond!". There's almost no difference between his approach in the Bond films (especially his later stuff) and his role in The Cannonball Run. And that's ok if it's just lighthearted fluff. But, personally, I don't want my Bond to be lighthearted fluff. With Moore I'm often reminded of an old Bevis and Butthead episode where they're watching a music video by the great, but notoriously slacker, band Pavement. B&B's critique was a simple, frustrated, "Try harder, damnit!". I love Moore (more as an ex-Bond, really) and I do enjoy his Bond films when I'm in a certain mood, but I do wish he would've "tried harder" in a lot of his later films.

I'm not the biggest Brosnan fan either, but I'll take his Bond over Moore's anyday.

I agree with this, while some of Moore's films may have been better (FYEO & TSWLM) than one or two of Brosnan's (DAD), I find Brosnan's take more interesting because he played it straight the whole time. Moore was just there for a laugh sometimes, it seems. That said, when Moore was good, he was VERY good.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I do agree with what many have just written. And I do love Roger's Bond. But yes, Brosnan was Bond and played it as Bond and I do believe brought his own nuances, style to it. Definitely.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    You can really see how much Brosnan cherished his time as Bond. He seems to proudly wear his "I was James Bond" badge. I don't blame him. I think it was Pierce that said “More men have walked on the moon than have played James Bond" or something like that.

With that said, I don't mean this to be insulting to Pierce (but I don't know if it can be taken any other way), but does anyone feel Brosnan is jealous of Craig and his tenure?
    I do agree with what many have just written. And I do love Roger's Bond. But yes, Brosnan was Bond and played it as Bond and I do believe brought his own nuances, style to it. Definitely.
    THANK YOU!!
    =D>
    You can really see how much Brosnan cherished his time as Bond. He seems to proudly wear his "I was James Bond" badge. I don't blame him. I think it was Pierce that said “More men have walked on the moon than have played James Bond" or something like that.

With that said, I don't mean this to be insulting to Pierce (but I don't know if it can be taken any other way), but does anyone feel Brosnan is jealous of Craig and his tenure?
    I think Pierce wishes it has him who got to do the gritty take on Bond alongside Judi as M, as she was his M first.
    I think Pierce wishes it has him who got to do the gritty take on Bond alongside Judi as M, as she was his M first.
    Classic Freudian 'M' envy. ;))
    What can you say? The man obviously has good tastes. ;)