It just occured to me that I've never seen an Austin Powers movie...

2»

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's fuuny, now thinking back to all that talk in August 2011 that we knew would go nowhere. No one wants another film over ten years later!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's fuuny, now thinking back to all that talk in August 2011 that we knew would go nowhere. No one wants another film over ten years later!
    3 movies were enough. With Goldmember it's obvious they were running out of ideas. A forth movie would only be worse.
    Murdock wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    3 movies were enough. With Goldmember it's obvious they were running out of ideas. A forth movie would only be worse.

They were using way too much toilet humour as well.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    So @chrisisall, have you watched any of the movies yet? :)
    I watched part of one online, and while it made me chuckle, it actually reminded me how good the Pink Panther movies were...
    I guess I'm just not into comedy these days.
  • Matt Helm and Derek Flint were definitely the predecessors of Austin Powers, no question.

I really don't mind the AP series, it's mindless entertainment and my son and I love to pick out Bond scenes being parodied and have a few laughs.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

They were using way too much toilet humour as well.

I also thought they were being too serious at some points. It's weird. How DAD was going into the absurd, Goldmember wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a comedy or a drama.
    I have never wanted to see a Powers movie. They strike me as juvenile and gross humor. I do not find it funny in the least bit and the character is so unlikable. Austin Powers really suck.
    Hollywood seem to have some sick obsession with piting a total nerd jackass with hot babes, babes who would never give such a man the time of day. Maybe that's the whole joke...be that as it may, I do not find it the least bit amusing.
    Austin Powers isn't really a nerd. His thick glasses are reference to Harry Palmer, the spy Michael Caine played in the late 60's.
    The first one was very funny, the second one is ok and the third a bit poor, Mike Myers has a habit of repeating the same jokes and playing various characters which arent't that funny, oh and using a Scottish accent whenever he can.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 11,189

The most "Austin Powers-like" character in Bond is Mr Kil (urgh!) then perhaps Xenia Onatopp. .
    Treasure Bond as you have always known him! AP will pollute and ruin your mind to the early movies else! :))
    The Austin Powers movies are nothing more than good, stupid fun. Nothing wrong with that, so long as it's in small doses. I think, if you're in the mood for brainless laughs, they're well worth watching.

Just be warned: you may never look at the Moore-era Bonds the same way again. A lot of the parody in AP cuts very close to the bone.