The brand new guess the character

Comments

May as well have an update while we're stopping by

Can't give any more clues right now but all encouraged to participate. It's not Willard Whyte, but as one clue suggested, one specific color rises above all other. White is not it. This has to go soon

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dominic Greene? No idea if it has been said. I hope I'm wrong...
    You needn't worry, it's not Dominic Greene, but this is counting down now -

One or two other clues

#46 It certainly was a crazy world, and Arthur Brown, could be appreciated

#47 If Depeche Mode doesn't work, try Simon and Garfunkel

take your time, there's no real rush with this
    so many musical reference to silence and fire but it's not helping! @-)
    timmer wrote:
    so many musical reference to silence and fire but it's not helping! @-)

Nobody's helping with this.. It's a dead issue

May take it up to 50 (clues) again by the end of the weekend, just to say it was done, once again
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Magda?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 388
    Ed Killifer?

He wasn't aware of Sharkey "under his nose" and a moment of "lost concentration" led to him falling through the trapDoor (hence why he's not a fan of Jim Morrison) which was "over troubled water" and he "went to pieces"
    congratulations

that's two further incorrect responses

(may as well have a bit of amusement)

No, it's not Miss Magda and it's not Ed Killifer (and that was a decent response)

#48 I could of featured a little longer if someone hadn't been so attentive

#49 someone was 'landing' in trouble

spare the big 50
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    This one sure is a stumper. Some character that died in a fire.
    Hmmm, :-? maybe one of the Drax space-cadets that took a laser hit, causing a fiery death in the cold silence of space, which would cause him to eventually be burned up by the sun. Hence Rising Sun, but not with Sean Connery.

===I'm thinking. I will be meditating on this all day tomorrow.
  • I'm going to want to kill myself after you reveal the answer. Even if, by some miracle, I blunder into the answer.

009 in Octopussy?
    "Green Four" from TLD?
    Not one of Drax' space cadets

Not 009 and not Green Four from The Living Daylights

Clue 50 will be a big help and will be disclosed in a day or two if this round is still underway
    Maybe you could just brazenly narrow it down to 3-4 films. I am stumped.
    I think the Carter/Clinton clue is a bit of a throw-off ie we quite possibly are talking more than post 1981(Carter) and pre-1993 (Clinton)
    I am definitely thinking that timeline, but as usual am stumped.
    I don't know the rather obscure or lesser characters names readily.

Will this turn out to be something like: the cocktail waiter standing behind Octopussy and who appeared on the terrace wearing a yellow armband and who hurled glassware during the final fight at her palace/abode? Eh. Probably not that obscure.

I was thinking 009 actually, too, but that 's a no.
    Hopefully we can get the 50th clue soon, dear @Baltimore_007
  • Howe in A View to a Kill?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,634
    The sooner this is out the way, the better

Sorry to say, it's not 'cocktail water standing behind Octopussy etc etc' or Mr Howe from A View to a Kill

This is a recognized and easily visable talking character with some significant screen time. All clues are factual and relevant - there are no red herrings

Adding clue 50 (along with the others, maybe the biggest giveaway)

#1 I am a figure of quite significant importance

THE TITLE SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. 'COLONEL'

#2 I was told to do something

'BLOCK THE RUNWAY'

#3 I was told not to do something

'DON'T SHOOT (AND HIT THE PLANE)

#4 You won't see me in 'The Safety Dance'

'MEN WITHOUT HATS' - FEYADOR WAS NEVER SEEN WITHOUT A HAT

#5 I saw, which is (or was), essentially, the very title of that years release

THERE WAS AN EARLY MORNING SUNRISE AT THE AFGHANISTAN AIR BASE AND FEYADOR WAS PRESENT. DAYLIGHT WAS JUST CREEPING IN (TO THE SKY)

#6 Something very dangerous got a little too close to me

SHAH THREW A HAND GRENADE

#7 Some people may think I'm not a very nice or helpful person

I CONSIDERED AN APPEAL. INSTEAD OF A HANGING, I DECIDED ON FIRING SQUAD

#8 My name, or who I am, is mentioned at least once

KOSKOV MENTIONS IT AT LEAST TWICE

#9 I got very close to (another) most pivotal and significant character of that years release

BOND HIMSELF (AND MILOVY) ARRIVE BY 'PLANE, AND I WAS PRESENT

#10 The sky was a multitude of expansive and effervescent colors

SEE CLUE #5

#11 Half of what I am, or who I am, provided some serious danger or jeopardy to myself

FEYADOR (DOOR), GOT JAMMED ON THE TANKER TRUCK AND I DIED IN THE EXPLOSION

#12 I can usually sleep easy after dark

THE AIR BASE JAIL IS SOUNDPROOFED. I DO NOT LIKE TO HEAR NOISES AT NIGHT

#13 I was asked to investigate something, the results were, that someone was pleased, and that someone was not too happy

SEE CLUE #7. JAILOR WAS PLEASED, SHAH LESS THAN HAPPY

#14 The final scenes I witnessed were a scene of mayhem and confusion

THE AFGHAN AIR BASE WAS A SCENE OF MAYHEM, BEFORE I DIED

#15 I can usually be associated with a particular color

RED

#16 I could of been in Rising Sun, but not with Sean Connery

SEE CLUE #5

#17 Someone, although not quite benevolent, was always pleased to see me

GEORGI KOSKOV WAS ALWAYS PLEASED TO SEE ME

#18 Depeche Mode may well be a favorite music act of mine, if only for one particular release

SEE CLUE #12 'ENJOY THE SILENCE'

#19 I came after Carter, but before Clinton

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS WAS RELEASED IN 1987

#20 A most unfortunate incident took place, where you couldn't see my legs

THE EXPLOSION I DIED IN, SITTING IN THE TANKER TRUCK

#21 Some quite pivotal figures came down to see me - in the almost literal sense

SEE CLUE #9. BOND AND MILOVY DOWN STEPS FROM THE 'PLANE

#22 There were to be, no prisoners of the sun

BOND, MILOVY AND KAMRAN SHAH ESCAPED JAIL BEFORE SUNRISE

#23 I was in the right place for a war, but this sure wasn't Vietnam. But could of been, if only you had added an extra number

THE NUMBER OF THE CARGO PLANE WAS '18'. PAUL HARDCASTLE HAD A WORLDWIDE HIT IN 1985 WITH '19', ABOUT THE VIETNAM WAR

#24 Some people were, where they shouldn't have been

BOND AND MILOVY SPIED ON ME (AND NECROS AND KOSKOV) AFTER THEIR ESCAPE

#25 I couldn't start, but I was just about finished

I COULDN'T START THE TANKER TRUCK, I WAS SOON TO BE KILLED

#26 I'm not your usual average encounter on the street

YOU DON'T SEE COLONELS EVERY DAY OUT AND ABOUT

#27 Revenge is a dish best served very hot

SHAH GOT REVENGE FOR HIS INCARCERATION BY BLOWING ME UP, IN A HEATED EXPLOSION

#28 Someone was going west, some people were going north (true to say), I was most likely going south (in a sense), or maybe just up, as a general direction

KOSKOV WAS DEFECTING TO THE WEST, BOND AND MILOVY (IN THE PLANE) WERE GOING NORTH (UP), I WAS SOON TO BE KILLED (SOUTH, OR BLOWN - UP)

#29 Someone was trying to get away. And they did, they got away

BOND AND MILOVY ESCAPE IN THE CARGO PLANE

#30 Think of a number. A specific number, less than the clues hitherto presented

'18'

#31 I was not really an animal, except for one moment

THE 'ANIMALS HEART' WITH KOSKOV AND NECROS, WHILE BOND AND MILOVY WATCH, DIAMONDS IN THE ICE

#32 I arrived at a worrying time for someone

I ARRIVED ON SCENE WHEN BOND WAS DISGUISED AS ONE OF THE OTHER WORKERS, CARRYING TO THE PLANE

#33 I didn't have the stomach for battle

I WAS LYING ON MY BELLY, (IN BETWEEN) NECROS AND KOSKOV AT THE AFGHAN AIR BASE AFTER ALL HELL LET LOOSE WHEN BOND WAS DISCOVERED

#34 Someone proved to be a handful

KAMRAN SHAH THREW A HAND GRENADE AT ME

#35 I like silence, in more ways than one

I DON'T LIKE NOISES AT NIGHT, AND I DON'T SPEAK MUCH

#36 I saw a killer, in more ways than one

WHEN BOND ARRIVES AT THE AIR BASE. KOSKOV - 'I HAVE HERE, GENERAL PUSHKINS KILLER', AND HE SEES SHAH THROW THE GRENADE AT THE TRUCK

#37 Prevention, was not the word of the day

I COULD NOT PREVENT MY DEMISE, OR THE DOOR JAMMED. (PREVENTED FROM OPENING). WAS NOT 'MY' WORD OF THE DAY, SO TO SPEAK

#38 I could be a bit rough handed

I GRAB THE TANKER TRUCK DRIVER OUT THE SEAT AND THROW HIM TO THE GROUND

#39 A moment of lost concentration, proved fatal

I WAS TOO BUSY TRYING TO START THE TRUCK AND NOT REALLY CONCENTRATING ON (MORE IMPORTANT) MATTERS LIKE THE THROWN GRENADE

#40 I could of been going to Belgrade. In the end, I went to pieces

THE RED STAR ON THE TANKER TRUCK. YUGOSLAVIA HAD A SOCCER TEAM CALLED 'RED STAR BELGRADE'

#41 Sometimes I wasn't even aware of what was going on under my nose

SEE CLUE #24, OR EVEN #32

#42 There seemed to be a lot of suspicious faces in the vicinity

BOND AROUSED SOME CONSIDERABLE SUSPICION WHEN DISGUISED AS ONE OF THE OTHER WORKERS, OR EVEN WHEN HE GOES TO FIND THE RAW OPIUM

#43 I was in the 'middle' of an extreme situation

SEE CLUE #33

#44 I missed out on some excitement, but only had myself to blame

THE JAIL WAS SOUNDPROOFED, SO I MISSED ALL THE RUCKUS WITH BOND AND MILOVY WHEN THEY FIGHT OFF THE JAILOR AND HIS GUARDS. IT WAS MY IDEA TO SOUNDPROOF THE BUILDING

#45 I'm not a fan of Jim Morrison

'THE DOORS'. THE DOOR OF THE TANKER TRUCK JAMS ON ME, BEFORE THE EXPLOSION

#46 It certainly was a crazy world, and Arthur Brown, could be appreciated

THE CRAZY SCENES AT THE AIR BASE WHEN DALTON IS DISCOVERED, AND 'FIRE', WITH ALL THE EXPLOSIONS, INCLUDING MY OWN DEMISE

#47 If Depeche Mode doesn't work, try Simon and Garfunkel

'ENJOY THE SILENCE' - AND - 'THE SOUND OF SILENCE' (I DON'T LIKE TO HEAR NOISES AT NIGHT)

#48 I could of featured a little longer if someone hadn't been so attentive

KAMRAN SHAH SAW ME ATTEMPTING TO BLOCK THE RUNWAY IN THE TANKER TRUCK

#49 someone was 'landing' in trouble

MILOY AND BOND ARRIVE AT THE AFGHAN AIR BASE ('PLANE LANDING), READY TO BE PUT IN JAIL. I WAS PRESENT

#50 You can find me somewhere between Germany and Argentina

GERMANY WON THE SOCCER WORLD CUP IN 1990

ARGENTINA WON THE SOCCER WORLD CUP IN 1986

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS WAS RELEASED IN 1987

This has to end soon. Good luck to any participants

..............................................................................

And there you have it (ALL ABOVE CLUES EXPLAINED)

COLONEL FEYADOR (JOHN BOWE) WAS THE CHARACTER IN QUESTION, AFTER 50 CLUES - IT FINALLY WENT

wasn't as good or enthralling a round as the Adam (Tommy Lane) one from a few months previous, and not much participation, but @James_Moloney has himself a correct response. Well done on your victory

Thanks to all who participated on this latest round
  • Is it Dolly?
    thank you for clue #50! We shall do our best ...
  • General Gogol?
  • Thanks to clue 50, I believe the answer is Anya Amasova. Can't link some of the other clues, but I'm sure @Baltimore_007 will enlighten us in due course
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    How did clue 50 lead you to Anya Amasova @Rogertheclown? It hasn't helped me one bit!

Okay, here's a guess which I feel matches up to a number of the clues: Colonel Feyador from The Living Daylights.

I haven't seen the film in a good while so I can't be sure of some of the clues... Clue #5 is what's really throwing me off this one but 4, 6, 14, 15, 17, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 40, 41, 42, and 43 all seem to fit (or, at least, can be made to fit.)
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I think you may have it Sir James. Many of the clues can be made to fit. The Colonel did die in a fiery explosion. The Jim Morrison, Arthur Brown musical clues both point to fire.
    He wouldn't appear in the safey dance either. He's not a "Men Without Hats." He very much wears a hat.
    And yes Colonels can be identified by their hat stripe colour. The Russian, colour-banded, military caps were very striking in TLD.
    I'm not sure what all the clue references to "silence" mean though. What does "he likes silence" refer to?
    Re clue #5. He saw the "Living Daylights"? hmm. I don't know.
    Feyador's death does tie-in with a lot of the clues.
    "When Bond and Kara Milovy stole the Soviet cargo plane containing Whitaker's shipment of opium, Koskov instructed Feyador to block their escape by parking a gasoline tanker on the runway. The plan failed thanks to Kamran Shah, who threw a grenade that blew the tanker up before it could even get moving. Feyador was killed in the explosion. "
    It came out 'slightly' wrong, but a winner has arrived for this last round (see above)

It was supposed to be the most recent post but made a mess of it. See above for the relevant details. Thanks again to those who got involved
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    @Baltimore. Can you explain how all 50 clues fit?! I got some of them, but how about all of them. Pleeese. Very well played btw.
    I should have got it with the Men Without Hats, Saftety Dance clue. That should have narrowed it down nicely to characters who prominently sported a hat.
    Low IQ week I guess.
  • Wow, thanks @Baltimore007 (and thanks @timmer). Many thanks for explaining the clues as there were a lot that I didn't get - you've clearly put a lot of thought into them and congrats for playing a straight bat - there really were no trick questions or red herrings and some of the clues were very ingenious (clue #50 really stumped me but it makes perfect sense).

I hope you stick around for the next round at least @Baltimore. I guess I have to think of one now. I will take six hours or so and will post something in the morning (GMT+1)

Wow, thanks @Baltimore007 (and thanks @timmer). Many thanks for explaining the clues as there were a lot that I didn't get -
    where's the post where he explains the clues? He did a great job, but still there's a big chunk I can't figure including #50.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote:
    Wow, thanks @Baltimore007 (and thanks @timmer). Many thanks for explaining the clues as there were a lot that I didn't get -
    where's the post where he explains the clues? He did a great job, but still there's a big chunk I can't figure including #50.

It is right on this page, mate. He explained everything in full, all 50 clues.
    OK it's up now; it wasn't earlier.
    What a great round!
    What a great round!

Oh, then my apologies to @timmer. I hadn't realized. :\">
    What a great round!

Oh, then my apologies to @timmer. I hadn't realized. :\">
    Actually I think you might be right though. I didn't look up. I didn't realize he'd edited his own post. I was looking for something new. My bad.