The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Another question and i dont know how to even word it. What did the 911 attacks have to do with the direction of Bond after DAD? I just watch the Everything or Nothing Documentary and there was a part where the mentioned 911 and how it effected the direction of Bond. I dont understand that? Maybe someone here can help me out
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Another question and i dont know how to even word it. What did the 911 attacks have to do with the direction of Bond after DAD? I just watch the Everything or Nothing Documentary and there was a part where the mentioned 911 and how it effected the direction of Bond. I dont understand that? Maybe someone here can help me out

Maybe because the films after the late Brosnan era showed the uncertainty of the world, the darkness that people can experience in a time after attack and the reality of the danger in a way that wasn't seen quite as much before? There is a terrorism aspect to CR, and that connects the film and the franchise to the spy agencies and their fights to stop terrorism from happening worldwide and the films got more political in some regards and became more mature. That is just how I see some of it.

Bond's reply to what he does in TB: "I travel, kind of a licensed travel shooter".

What the hell is a travel shooter?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    He says "a licenced troubleshooter"- basically he solves problems (that's our Bond! ;) )
    MrBond wrote:
    Now to something entirely different. I've heard that Bibi Dahls name from FYEO *shudders* have some sort of double meaning, but i can't for the love of god come up with it. Whats the innuendo?

No innuendo, just a reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_doll

And here's the nightgown popularized by the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babydoll

Do we think that two shots into Professor Dent was enough? Should it have been three or four?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Do we think that two shots into Professor Dent was enough? Should it have been three or four?

I would've loved all six, personally.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I would've loved all six, personally.

Same. I do remember the first time I saw the film and saw Bond coldly execute Dent, I was shocked by the second bullet as the man was clearly dead or at least in the final throws of life by that point. So it serves a point, but maybe a third or fourth would have been gratuitous, two made the message clear. One in the front, and another in the back to make sure.

One thing I was thinking listening the the DN audio commentary; the film has something of a tonal shift halfway through the movie. It's first half is almost a detective drama while the latter half is very comic-book. Was this an issue that people picked up on or do they think the filmmakers handled the jump well.

I'm about done for this night but was thinking recently with regards to the Zorin airship in A View to a Kill, did Zorin have more than one airship ?

Around halfway through, we see the interior and he's having a business meeting and it's quite large and expansive, but towards the end when they kidnap Sutton, the inside from before has gone, and all it contains is a small seating area, and it has appeared to have diminished in size from before. Not enough room to swing a cat let alone hold a business conference

Was it merely just that Zorin had more than one of those huge airships, or it was the same one all along, and we're just supposed to turn a blind eye to any such inconsistencies ?

Any thoughts would be appeciated
    I'd like to think Zorin had a second level specially built in, just above the gondola (cabin).
    Seems you were right, @Baltimore_007. It appears there are indeed two different airships. I found this on IMDB:

"Vehicles featured included two Zorin airship blimps, one with green and white and the other with green, red and white markings, the larger being a SkyShip 6000 and the smaller is marked G-BIHN and was inflatable from a Portakabin."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090264/trivia

Notice the differences between the larger, non-inflatable airship
    http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_401.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_402.htm

and the smaller, inflatable blimp at the finale
    http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_737.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_807.htm
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    I think I get this page,In DAF when he was in the lift with the real Peter Franks why did he smash the window when he was about to start a fight?I have many more to ask as being a young fan.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    samainsy wrote:
    I think I get this page,In DAF when he was in the lift with the real Peter Franks why did he smash the window when he was about to start a fight?I have many more to ask as being a young fan.

I heard the window smashing was an accident that happened as they were shooting the fight, and they just went with it.
    samainsy wrote:

I heard the window smashing was an accident that happened as they were shooting the fight, and they just went with it.
    Oh thanks its cos i'm watching it now.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    samainsy wrote:

Bond smashes the window in the lift because there is no room to move. Bond is going to overpower Franks, but because of the confinement, he cannot get a good punch in, and the breaking glass alerts Franks.
    It's a well choregraphed and executed scene I feel, and a rather unique fight in the Bond series.

oohh i got more questions (dont diss) what is the plot for bloodstone?Why did Tracy die?What would have happend to Jaws if he stayed on Draxes side?Do you think he should go to Australia next and deal with some Mafia for Bond 24 (Thats my Idea and many more)?How do all the cars carry all the gadgets in them?I still have many more which I have spent months trying to find out I just dont want to bother you right now.
    samainsy wrote:
    oohh i got more questions (dont diss) what is the plot for bloodstone?Why did Tracy die?What would have happend to Jaws if he stayed on Draxes side?Do you think he should go to Australia next and deal with some Mafia for Bond 24 (Thats my Idea and many more)?How do all the cars carry all the gadgets in them?I still have many more which I have spent months trying to find out I just dont want to bother you right now.

What? I take it you haven't seen OHMSS then. If not, watch it and you will find out.
    samainsy wrote:

What? I take it you haven't seen OHMSS then. If not, watch it and you will find out.

I have seen it but why kill her not Bond (or attempt)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    samainsy wrote:

I have seen it but why kill her not Bond (or attempt)

Well if you've seen it you should be able to see (with your eyes perhaps?) it's not a targeted hit but that they just shoot up the car randomly and shes unlucky and gets hit and Bond doesn't.

A crap way of trying to kill either her or Bond (I'd expect better from Blofeld) due to the randomness I'll grant you but I don't see what isn't clear from the scene.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    One thing that has buggered me for a long time is a thing in QoS.

When Bonds credit card has been blocked by MI6 and he can't use it to follow Greene and Elvis to La Paz. So, what's the thing with "You're gonna get a phone call in a minute. Would you mind tell them that I'm heading for Cairo?"

Is "them" MI6? And is that just for a misdirection where Bond Is going?
    MrBond wrote:
    One thing that has buggered me for a long time is a thing in QoS.

When Bonds credit card has been blocked by MI6 and he can't use it to follow Greene and Elvis to La Paz. So, what's the thing with "You're gonna get a phone call in a minute. Would you mind tell them that I'm heading for Cairo?"

Is "them" MI6? And is that just for a misdirection where Bond Is going?

That puzzles me to this day too. And then I wonder how Bond paid to get a boat to Mathis's as well.
    Is there anyone called 007 on here?Could Jaws return with Dolly? Why did GL only do one film?
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    samainsy wrote:
    Is there anyone called 007 on here?Could Jaws return with Dolly? Why did GL only do one film?

To your first question: Not that I know of, but I can't guess why it matters anyway.

Your second: OH, PLEASE PLEASE NO.

Your third: George's agent told him that Bond would be a sort of passing fad, so he decided to leave the series before it disappeared into unpopularity. Now, 44 years later George is likely regretting his decision.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    samainsy wrote:

1. Me.

2. The time for that past with the reboot.

3. Many reasons, George saw the characteristics of other popular actors and replicated that, not realizing that they became consummate professionals on set. As well as, because Laz's agent told him that Bond won't survive the 70s and will quickly grow out. Lazenby today says he regretted the decision not to take the 7 film/14 year or the 4 film/7 year deal.
    Why did Mr Big have poppy fields?Is Baron Samedi,Whisper and Jaws dead?
    samainsy wrote:

Mr. Big was getting everyone in America addicted to drugs so that when the supply weaned and the price went up the addicted would pay for their craving no matter the cost. The less drugs, the higher the value and so Big would then get plenty of money from the enterprise. As for Baron and Whisper, who is to say that they are dead? We see Baron "die" but he spookily appears at the end before the film ends, laughing. Whether it is his "ghost" or his tangible form is up to you. As for Whisper, he wouldn't die if someone got him out of that holding unit or whatever it was that he was pushed into by Bond, though we can't say for sure.

As for Jaws, we never see him die, and since we know he is alive after the events of TSWLM and MR respectively, he obviously isn't dead.

It seems that all the questions you have can be answered by...you know, watching the films!
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117
    samainsy wrote:

As for Whisper, he wouldn't die if someone got him out of that holding unit or whatever it was that he was pushed into by Bond, though we can't say for sure.

I'm sorry but 40 years on and given his physique if Whisper has not died of a massive coronary then hes certainly a 40 stone bed ridden diabetic with weeping leg sores.

Edit: Yup although lasted longer than I would have thought.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113484/

RIP Earl, I always liked Whisper even though hes almost on a par with Elvis in the henchman ineptitude stakes.
    samainsy wrote:

As for Whisper, he wouldn't die if someone got him out of that holding unit or whatever it was that he was pushed into by Bond, though we can't say for sure.

I'm sorry but 40 years on and given his physique if Whisper has not died of a massive coronary then hes certainly a 40 stone bed ridden diabetic with weeping leg sores.

RIP Earl, I always liked Whisper even though hes almost on a par with Elvis in the henchman ineptitude stakes.

I am talking about Whisper in the borders of the film, not the actor or if Whisper would be alive today.
    samainsy wrote:

Mr. Big was getting everyone in America addicted to drugs so that when the supply weaned and the price went up the addicted would pay for their craving no matter the cost. The less drugs, the higher the value and so Big would then get plenty of money from the enterprise. As for Baron and Whisper, who is to say that they are dead? We see Baron "die" but he spookily appears at the end before the film ends, laughing. Whether it is his "ghost" or his tangible form is up to you. As for Whisper, he wouldn't die if someone got him out of that holding unit or whatever it was that he was pushed into by Bond, though we can't say for sure.

As for Jaws, we never see him die, and since we know he is alive after the events of TSWLM and MR respectively, he obviously isn't dead.

It seems that all the questions you have can be answered by...you know, watching the films!

Yes well I was watching LALD at the time and remember reading about Whisper in the James Bond encylipedia and it said unknown but what about Tee-Hee he cant die from getting thrown out of a window.
    samainsy wrote:

I am talking about Whisper in the borders of the film, not the actor or if Whisper would be alive today.

Well then the answer is yes. Bond called the CIA, they raided the place, released him from the canister and he served maybe 5-10 years on some drug trafficking charge.