No more Bond on TV as Sky buy the rights.

13»

Comments

samainsy wrote:
    What happens now because I see there is no Bond channel on sky movies

The Bond channel keeps coming and going. When it's gone they're mainly shown on the action channel although I did watch Goldfinger on Sky classics not too long ago.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    samainsy wrote:
    What happens now because I see there is no Bond channel on sky movies

The Bond channel keeps coming and going. When it's gone they're mainly shown on the action channel although I did watch Goldfinger on Sky classics not too long ago.

Yeah but I watch the ones I dont have on the computer and its annoying!
    Does anyone know how long Sky will have the Bond channel for?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Does anyone know how long Sky will have the Bond channel for?

I think they bought it back for Skyfalls TV premiere and I think that was at least a month ago, so probably not that much longer.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A big plus is - no ad breaks! According to Sky...

It always annoyed me on ITV when they had a ton of adverts, AND showed the news right in the middle. I tried to tape a Bond film once and it didn't tape the end, because they stuck the news right in the middle so it ran out of tape.

Yes, i agree. The adverts, and the news in the middle of the film spoils the flow and excitement, and sometimes, a small part of the film seems to be missing when the film continues aswell. Having said that, it wont be the same without a Bond film on Boxing Day or Bank Holidays..

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The Bond channel is STILL on Sky007. I really hope its permanant because there are no ads like damned ITV. Plus its got all the documentaries, original trailers and more. I applaud sky for really go that extra mile to provide all this material.
  • Zorin61 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A big plus is - no ad breaks! According to Sky...

It always annoyed me on ITV when they had a ton of adverts, AND showed the news right in the middle. I tried to tape a Bond film once and it didn't tape the end, because they stuck the news right in the middle so it ran out of tape.

Yes, i agree. The adverts, and the news in the middle of the film spoils the flow and excitement, and sometimes, a small part of the film seems to be missing when the film continues aswell. Having said that, it wont be the same without a Bond film on Boxing Day or Bank Holidays..

Never bothered me so much with adverts in the days prior to Sky plus (spin on!) but I was always annoyed when they broke up a great movie with the News! Outrageous!! Also agree Bank hols especially Xmas won't be the same but if you have the Bond movies on DVD or similar than perfect just to put that on for a Bank Hol :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    What is this fascination with watching films on TV you own on DVD or Blu ray?

Bond on telly hasn't been a big deal for well over a decade now, the popularity of home formats have rendered the terrestrial TV showing Bond films obsolete.

Some of us do remember when a 007 film was on it was an event but this was when they were hardly available on VHS let alone all the formats available now and they showed 2 a year if you were lucky.

At least Sky know how to present these film and show them some respect, ITV not having them is a good thing.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Shardlake wrote:

Bond on telly hasn't been a big deal for well over a decade now, the popularity of home formats have rendered the terrestrial TV showing Bond films obsolete.

Some of us do remember when a 007 film was on it was an event but this was when they were hardly available on VHS let alone all the formats available now and they showed 2 a year if you were lucky.

At least Sky know how to present these film and show them some respect, ITV not having them is a good thing.

Yes that's my feeling on it also. I remember when I was a child and in my teens, a Bond film on ITV was always a big deal, particularly on Christmas Day (after the Queen's Speech of course), but since the films were re-released, first on video in the mid nineties, and subsequently on DVD and Blu-Ray, I have very little desire to watch them on television anymore, especially since ITV used to show them mid afternoon and bastardised them with the countless edits they made.

Incidentally, the versions of LTK, GE & TND were usually shown in their uncut form when shown on ITV and yet the DVD versions at that time still had the BBFC cuts up until they released the Ultimate Edition DVD's in their uncut form in 2006.

This used to bug the hell out of me. Why have I paid all this money for my DVD collection, only to find some of the films are still cut by the BBFC, yet ITV can show them to me for free in their uncut format?
    It is a bit sad, when there was nothing else on you could always rely on ITV for a Bond film to pop up and of course a lot of us first saw Bond this way.

I must admit though having as is tradition purchased Sky Movies over the Christmas Period, the 007 channel is well put together and it good to see one Bond film after another without adverts.
  • The Christmas tradition of Bond on telly is long gone, and you have to say it's down to the recent movies imo anyway, they're not classics. None of the Brozzer films really slot into that Christmas day schedule, even GE is too violent, you'd think one out of 4 would at least make it, but DAD is grim and nasty and stupid. CR too violent really, but you'd think they'd do a late night CR and QoS on two consecutive nights; they oddly never did this.

Broadening it out, why are the movies on the big five channels so rubbish these days? Always the same ones, repeated ad nauseum, nothing special or unusual, just the same old classics dulled by familiarity. Casablanca, Great Expectations, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, About a Boy, School of Rock. You can't say Sky Movie Classics have anything better really. It's all on Netflix, an embarrassment of riches, but there's a generation growing up never seeing movies with Charles Laughton or Clark Gable or even Marilyn. Or even Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry or Harold Lloyd. Why is this?
    The Christmas tradition of Bond on telly is long gone, and you have to say it's down to the recent movies imo anyway, they're not classics. None of the Brozzer films really slot into that Christmas day schedule, even GE is too violent, you'd think one out of 4 would at least make it, but DAD is grim and nasty and stupid. CR too violent really, but you'd think they'd do a late night CR and QoS on two consecutive nights; they oddly never did this.

Broadening it out, why are the movies on the big five channels so rubbish these days? Always the same ones, repeated ad nauseum, nothing special or unusual, just the same old classics dulled by familiarity. Casablanca, Great Expectations, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, About a Boy, School of Rock. You can't say Sky Movie Classics have anything better really. It's all on Netflix, an embarrassment of riches, but there's a generation growing up never seeing movies with Charles Laughton or Clark Gable or even Marilyn. Or even Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry or Harold Lloyd. Why is this?

Quite simply because SKY and to some extent other broadcasters have a monopoly on movies, which the terrestrial channels simply can't match. I remember growing up and you'd be guaranteed at least one great film every night on either the BBC, ITV or C4 but nowadays? The odd decent film every now and again.
  • Okay... but what are they doing with the monopolies? I don't see Laurel & Hardy, Tom and Jerry, a decent, relatively rare Hitchcock on Sky Classics, most of the movies they're showing aren't anything out of the way either.

Again, when I was on lovefilm, all sorts of rarities and little gems would pop up in recommendations, you'd never know they existed otherwise.
    Shardlake wrote:

Yes that's my feeling on it also. I remember when I was a child and in my teens, a Bond film on ITV was always a big deal, particularly on Christmas Day (after the Queen's Speech of course), but since the films were re-released, first on video in the mid nineties, and subsequently on DVD and Blu-Ray, I have very little desire to watch them on television anymore, especially since ITV used to show them mid afternoon and bastardised them with the countless edits they made.

Incidentally, the versions of LTK, GE & TND were usually shown in their uncut form when shown on ITV and yet the DVD versions at that time still had the BBFC cuts up until they released the Ultimate Edition DVD's in their uncut form in 2006.

This used to bug the hell out of me. Why have I paid all this money for my DVD collection, only to find some of the films are still cut by the BBFC, yet ITV can show them to me for free in their uncut format?

I think it's just a case of younger generations may miss the chance of watching one of the films purely by chance and get hooked on Bond. This is how I discovered Bond thanks to my dear old mum who has a crush on Roger Moore! ;))
    RogueAgent wrote:

I think it's just a case of younger generations may miss the chance of watching one of the films purely by chance and get hooked on Bond. This is how I discovered Bond thanks to my dear old mum who has a crush on Roger Moore! ;))

Your mum clearly has good taste ;-)
    RogueAgent wrote:

Your mum clearly has good taste ;-)

Taking her to see him in November! May have to take a adult nappy with us! Bless her! :))
    I wanted to see him in Leeds in October but I have a scheduling conflict :-(
    What about Salford Quays appearance?