No more Bond on TV as Sky buy the rights.

Comments

• Actonsteve: I don't remember specific dates, but I do have memories of watching Bond at Christmas as a child. The whole relationship towards films was different back then wasn't it? As you couldn't even buy films on video-tape at that point, so you had to wait for them to be broadcast on TV. I believe Cubby Broccoli was quoted or described as deliberately tightly controlling how often the bond films were shown on TV in order to maintain their 'specialness'. I don't think young people today can really understand what that special 'glamorous' image of the films was like.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Today ITV just plugged the hell out of them, they are never not on. Although the last time a Bond was shown was last month. Hopefully they show all the films from now until August as a send-off.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm a Yank and don't know of ITV, but I can see your sentiments. All this garbage happening in his 50th year in our lives on screen. Rubbish.
    And for 37 of those years Bond was with and only ever has been shown on ITV. A shame that in the US, it was all over the place.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history_bond_on_tv.php3?id=02822
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I remember the "00-Heaven" season in the late 90s :D

By that point I'd seen them all already though.

Personally I couldn't care all that much. Got them all on either (official) VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray so its hardly like I'm going to miss them ;)

Also, don't forget that terrestrial TV does (or at least did until a few years ago) have a habit of cutting films to shreads. With Sky, its possible that films like LTK (which is nearly ALWAYS cut - even on DVD or VHS) may finally be shown in their entirety.

Its funny how people talk about families "sitting down and watching a film that premiered on TV". Those days, to be honest, are long gone. While I've watched a fair few films on TV over the years the last time I did it with my family was with the UK premier of Jurassic Park on Christmas Day 1996 (still got the recording of that actually).
  • Sooner or later, I'll buy the boxset (probably after one comes out with Skyfall included). So no big loss, really. Although Sky just keep making up ways of convincing us to fork out money for them...
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 371
    I can appreciate why people without Sky Movies would be pretty vexed about this news, however if you do have it, it's great news, Sky will undoubtedly show them more often, in their uncut format (Sky has their own ratings system), and with no adverts, which lets face it, is really annoying.

They will have dedicated movie shows as Skyfall gets closer, 50th Anniversary marathons, they can do anything they like as they don't have to pander to the scheduling of soap operas or the News at Ten.
  • Isn't it something like £20 a month on top of sky subscription to watch MOVIES. For £20 a month I could buy two at a time and watch them any time advert free.
  • Isn't it something like £20 a month on top of sky subscription to watch MOVIES. For £20 a month I could buy two at a time and watch them any time advert free.

Absolutely, I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone went out and got a Sky subscription just for Bond, but it can only be good news for those of that are existing Sky movies subscribers... ;-)

Samuel001 wrote:
    Sky Movies review programme 35MM will show the interviews with Craig and Bardem on April 13th at 7.30pm.

Did anyone manage to catch this?
    Isn't it something like £20 a month on top of sky subscription to watch MOVIES. For £20 a month I could buy two at a time and watch them any time advert free.

When the Bluray arrives at the end of the year the dvd prices will undoubtely plummet and fou can undoubtely get a lot more 007 dvds for your 20 quid.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Gone are the days when it was an event when ITV showed a Bond film - I mean, it's years now since they broke the 'golden rule' for me that was never showing one either at Christmas, on a Bank Holiday or on a Saturday night. For some time now they've filled a couple of hours at any time on any random day by showing a Bond flick as if it were any other movie. Which, let's face it, no Bond flick (well, practically no Bond flick) ever will be.

So, yes, frankly I couldn't care less about this news. After all, we haven't had to rely on TV to watch a Bond flick on the small screen for a long, long time now. The magic of ITV being Britain's Bond telly host died many moons ago...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I couldn't personally give a damn who has the rights, there are these inventions called DVD players and Blu ray players where you can watch the films when you like.

The need to be bothered whether a Bond film is on TV has completely been erased, I remember being a nipper and then it was a real event one or two a year if you were lucky.

Granted Sky do have too much of a monopoly on everything but ITV had no respect for the series and were showing them all the time, so hopefully Sky will have a better approach and the quality will without a doubt be better.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Murdoch is pure evil.
    Murdoch , is the new Blofeld, with his son James as his henchman !!!
    I actually dont mind Sky having the rights to bond, Itv hardly show bond with respect, heavily cut and interupted by adverts and news.
    I do miss the days when on christmas day , the bond film was on after queens speech but with the advent of dvd's those days of gone.
    Lets hope sky treat Mr bond with respect, although buying never say never again is a disgrace, its a dreadful movie and is not part of the bond series as far as i am concerned
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    It's a shame. Despite having them all on dvd, I still liked to tune in. Couldn't help myself.

I'll always have fond memories of the 00-Heaven Series in the 90's. As previous posters have said, the trailers were brilliant, really getting the public in the mood, long in advance. As a youngster in the 90's, in a time before dvd's, these showings really ignited my growing love for Bond. It's sad that less youngsters will now be exposed to the older Bond films as a result of this move.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The discussions attempted by some on the matter of Sky's Bond channel can be continued here.
  • Thanks 0Brady, I know I'm biased as I'm a Sky subscriber, but I think this is brilliant news, as I said earlier in this thread, I always felt Sky would give the movies the respect they deserve, but a new dedicated channel is more than I expected, 007HD will now be added to my favourites list, plus it wont just be movies but features and documentaries as well as plenty of 50th Anniversary and Skyfall stuff, can't wait!
    Bluray here we come
    Why is this such a big deal to Bond fans living in Britain? I thought all of us has every Bond film on DVD...
  • Why is this such a big deal to Bond fans living in Britain? I thought all of us has every Bond film on DVD...

Because Sky have said they'll be making their own features and documentaries for the 50th Anniversary and Skyfall that will only be available on 007HD...

• edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Why is this such a big deal to Bond fans living in Britain? I thought all of us has every Bond film on DVD...

Not everyone has all the films on DVD. Plus, I have memories of watching Bond on ITV, it's always been on ITV and I saw most of the films on there, it's kind of sad. Plus, you have to pay for Sky, and pay even more for the movie subscription, so they're stopping people from becoming fans. Maybe a kid who might've turned over and discovered Bond won't now, because it's on Sky.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2012 Posts: 12,459

Not everyone has all the films on DVD. Plus, I have memories of watching Bond on ITV, it's always been on ITV and I saw most of the films on there, it's kind of sad. Plus, you have to pay for Sky, and pay even more for the movie subscription, so they're stopping people from becoming fans. Maybe a kid who might've turned over and discovered Bond won't now, because it's on Sky.

OK maybe its a good thing in the long run, but yeah it makes me a little sad - just because I remember how special it was when a Bond film came on tv. Nostalgia, I know. I don't own all the films (though I want to).
    It sounds like it may be cool with special features, etc. I am always wary of one company having the only rights; we'll see how it goes. It doesn't affect me personally as I am in Japan and before that the U.S.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    I just found out about this now! I've grown up watching Bond on ITV, the weekend slots on ITV1, the late night film slot on Fridays on ITV4. Before I got the DVD collection, this is how I would watch Bond at about 10 or 11 on a friday night for months on end. The 118 ad's! I loved them, this is shameful. Everyone selling out to Sky; first F1, now Bond! This is sad. An end of a legacy, era and partnership.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Most kids I know discover Bond on the box. I did and then my dad took me to watch one and I was hooked.

Having said that you can have too much of a good thing on itv. People take you for granted. The viewing figs for classic bonds have dipped. So being away might be a good thing.

F1 coverage has been better on sky. Sky will have a dedicated bond resource without ads, I hope they turn it into a full bond channel, with interviews docs, insider stories etc. with advent of smart TVs Im pretty much sure you will be able to access it like netflix without the main sky subscription eventually. I hope it brings an air of mystery and mystic back to the bond brand and that can only be a good thing.

I would love there to be bond specials on itv during the holiday seasons, that was always great fun and Christmas without a bond film on itv will be sad.

Long live the Bond revolution.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As I've mentioned in the TV alerts thread, there are only 6 more films to be shown by ITV and that's it. Don't forget to tune in and see Bond off - after 37 years.

New fans need to rely on the new films now. No more Bond marathons.
    Rarely watched a bond film on tv unless I stumbled across it and was bored. Always watched them on vhs then dvd.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,143
    Whilst some may get their first taste of Bond on tv for me Bond on DVD & now Blu-ray is the best way to watch and for novices they can pick up 2nd hand copies of individual movies for very small amounts. As for die-hard Bond fans you should only want the full Boxset to watch and enjoy over and over at your pleasure. Praise the Boxset!!! And who cares about Sky ;)
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    What happens now because I see there is no Bond channel on sky movies