"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• The Pool are in poor hands...great little team but with that we have a great little team manager....need a big time charlie manager. And what has he done to Sterling, the boy can't kick a ball, something is not right here.

And how jammy is Venger...blames the whole of English football for their CL exit and then Fulham do them a favour....crazy.

This weekend had some of the worst officiating calls/non-calls I've seen in a long time.

-The Fellaini hand ball that was given as a free kick when he was clearly in the box by a good yard or two

-The off-side called on the Mirallas goal against City, even though he was on-side

-The off-side called on the Sturridge goal against the Saints, even though he was on-side

-The Danny Rose hand ball that was not called against Sunderland, though he, too, was clearly in the box

-The Wigan hand ball that was not called in stoppage time that caused the deflection and allowed Wigan to score (and win)

-The McManaman tackle against the Newcastle player that didn't even garner a call, let alone a yellow or straight red

Because they don't want to "undermine the refs", the FA continue to refuse to review these calls or consider video technology. That Danny Rose non-call against Norwich could cost Norwich at least 2 places on the table. That's a difference of £2,000,000. Now, for a team like City, that's hardly a drop in the bucket. But for a team like Norwich, that's a tidy little bonus. Something has to be done about these calls.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I know Michael Owen gets a lot of stick from a lot of Liverpool fans, but not from me . He was my first proper hero , the first player I idolised . So when he announced his retirement this morning, I admit to being a little bit gutted. I remember all those goals and those finals. Thanks Michael .
    It's only an official announcement to what we all knew ages ago. Fortunately for him, he's rolling in the dosh through his horses, so playing only 37 games in 4 years hasn't been hurt him monetarily. Great, world class player during those years at Liverpool-that will never be in dispute- but when the decline came, it hit him like a truck. He left Liverpool in 2004 to go to Madrid, and his career really wasn't the same. Injured in 2005, and that was the beginning of the end. Won't forget what he means to Liverpool. Also won't forget this:

Clean and Fresh!
  • Owen for me lost his legend status when he went to the mancs. Rush left and came back, Robbin was forced out and came back and were still loved as legends. Owen went to the enemy and cannot be forgiven for this treachery. I feel dirty just writing about it....to the mancs yes he went to the mancs yuk.

once you go manc you never go back.
  • I can understand scousers feeling miffed that he ended up at Man Utd but at the end of the day he wanted one last chance at the big time and he wasn't going to get that staying at Newcastle or going back to Liverpool. Shame constant injuries blighted the last few years of his career.
    The last few years? He's played 84 league games in NINE years. And it's not even the move to United that did it for me, because it's not like he went right to United after Liverpool. It was leaving Liverpool at the height of his career for a measly £8,000,000 (and Nunez). Left the club hanging and left us in the lurch. Oh the schadenfreude when we won the Champions League the year he left.

Could have and should have been a legend; instead, will be known by a variety of non-complimentary names. Played for four teams, loved by none of them.
    What the hell has a 14 hour round plane trip got to do with Ferdinands medical training program to keep him fit. If i was Hodgson in the future? Don't bother! Let him do his tv thing instead of playing for his country! He gets paid for the Tv stuff no doubt! :-q
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    What the hell has a 14 hour round plane trip got to do with Ferdinands medical training program to keep him fit. If i was Hodgson in the future? Don't bother! Let him do his tv thing instead of playing for his country! He gets paid for the Tv stuff no doubt! :-q

He just taught the sweet FA and Woy a real lesson....choosing JT over Rio for footballing reasons ha ha ha right. They are a bunch of liars. Rio out foxed and stuck two fingers to them.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    you have to feel sorry for San marino. Not even sure why a country so small is allowed to play, or why they'd want to.
    you have to feel sorry for San marino. Not even sure why a country so small is allowed to play, or why they'd want to.

It is good practice and if you think you have an easy night and mess about you might end up with a draw.

The Dutch did their duty in a ugly win of 3-0 against Estonia.

Great that we get the Olympic stadium (won't there be lots of empty seats though, it's massive?), looks really nice and the move could be good for us, might help cement us as a bigger club.

I'm sad about leaving Upton Park though. Lots of memories there.

Still, now we have the stadium that James Bond parachuted into to. So that's something :)
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,329
    Great that we get the Olympic stadium (won't there be lots of empty seats though, it's massive?), looks really nice and the move could be good for us, might help cement us as a bigger club.

Still, now we have the stadium that James Bond parachuted into to. So that's something :)

Yea nice one for sealing that! Thinking they're gonna downgrade capacity to 60000 from 80000 but i should still imagine that'll leave a few empty seats a lot of the time. Ahwell they say they will take the seats over the running track to bring the fans closer to the pitch which Is cool, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.
    Shame LFC haven't even got foundations laid when we've needed a new stadium for about 20 years .
  • DCisared wrote:

Yea nice one for sealing that! Thinking they're gonna downgrade capacity to 60000 from 80000 but i should still imagine that'll leave a few empty seats a lot of the time. Ahwell they say they will take the seats over the running track to bring the fans closer to the pitch which Is cool, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.
    Shame LFC haven't even got foundations laid when we've needed a new stadium for about 20 years .

Good boast about the Bond reference, and good for Hammers fans although I too am sceptical that they will fill 60000. If any club needs an upgrade it would be LFC. They could easily fill 60000 plus. Without a move you are no doubt being held back when you compare to Man Utd with over 75000.
    Did anybody else see the England game the other day and how shit we were in the second half?
  • Did anybody else see the England game the other day and how shit we were in the second half?

Well at least you had a decent first half which is more than can be said for my beloved Scotland. We haven't had a decent 5 minutes of football in years!!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    We should've won yesterday. I know Allardyce complains about the officials a lot but Van Persie was off side. That should've been a win for us. Although to be fair Carroll should've probably been sent off.

Anyway figured I'd post this here too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/apr/18/fifa-14-preview-skill-games-career-mode
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    Chester FC 6 trophies 3 years!!! also a QPR fan but might ditch them if they go down and might support Hull if they come up!!
    Must win for the Norwich boys tomorrow at home against Reading! Come on lads, keep our destiny in our own hands! Didn't enjoy supporting Man City the other night against Wigan! But i am glad they won! Keeps a 4 point gap! :))
    Liverpool v chelsea should be a great game tonight (down under time)
    Hopefully we kick chelskis arses......... :)
  • What do the Liverpool fans on here think of Rafa's return to Anfield today? He's going to get an extremely warm welcome I would have thought. Will it be rapturous (like when Dalglish returned with Blackburn)? or more restrained affection (like when Keegan returned with Newcastle)?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    He's still a legend for me.

But for Arshavin scoring 4 times when he only touched the ball 4 times he'd have brought us the title. And of course not to mention dominating Europe for 3 years with an inferior squad to all the big clubs.

Compared to what we have to put up with now forget the 70's and 80's - the 00's were the glory years.

Seeing as a midtable club like us will never get the likes of Jose I'd certainly have him back - Rodgers is failing to convince me to be honest.
    Well i am just relieved we beat Reading yesterday! Although there were certainly some hairy moments for us at 2-1? I am glad we got the points in the bag! <:-P 2 more points in our next 3 games would hopefully seal us safety for another season! :-bd
    Surely it's time to say 'Taxi for Mancini'?

If I've spent half a billion I really don't expect the poorest Utd team for 15 years to stroll to the title by Christmas and to be dumped out of the champions league to boot.

If I've spent half a billion I really don't expect the poorest Utd team for 15 years to stroll to the title by Christmas and to be dumped out of the champions league to boot.

If he does get the boot? What chance Mourinho going there?
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not sure.

Certainly they fit all the criteria of a Mourinho club - plenty of money, already challenging, just need a final push to achieve greatness.

Depends whether or not he wants to knock Fergie off his perch. But if he really wants to do that he could come to us!
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not sure.

Certainly they fit all the criteria of a Mourinho club - plenty of money, already challenging, just need a final push to achieve greatness.

Depends whether or not he wants to knock Fergie off his perch. But if he really wants to do that he could come to us!

I'm sure he fancies the Man Utd job too!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not sure.

The trouble is he needs to wait five years at least for that to come up. He's not stupid enough to take the job straight after Fergie. Better to let someone else fail first.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not sure.

The trouble is he needs to wait five years at least for that to come up. He's not stupid enough to take the job straight after Fergie. Better to let someone else fail first.

He would be daft to go back to Chelsea thats for sure!
  • Just got back from London with blisters, sore nips and swollen ankles...raised 5000 for the local hospice turned on Motd and saw Hannibal lecter playing for liverpool. Come on man grow up ur ruining the shirt.