And your award for best moneypenny goes to......

2»

Comments

Maxwell

There aren't any others that come even close.
    Where do you stand on Harris @Bondsum?
    I really don't recognize her as Moneypenny yet, @BAIN123, considering she played the majority of SF as Agent Eve.
    Maxwell is my favourite for the Connery years, but she should have quit soon after him. Harris is a close second. Great actress, can't wait to see how she will develop the role. Looks like the writers are giving her a lot more depth than the previous scripts ever did.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    1. Maxwell
    2. Maxwell
    3. Maxwell
    4. Maxwell

Were there any I missed?

I believe you missed Maxwell.

She's my favorite, of course, and I quite enjoyed Samantha Bond as MP, as well. I don't see how Harris can be in the rating, as we haven't seen (but more than a few seconds) of Eve Moneypenny, as we did Agent Eve.
    I don't see why we can't include Harris. Her as an agent is still the same character as her as Moneypenny.

We've seen her interacting and flirting with Bond, which is pretty much all she ever does anyway, so I don't see why we can't fairly judge her because her name wasn't revealed until the end and because she had a bigger part than sitting behind a desk for a minute.
    1. Bliss
    2. Maxwell
    3. Bond
    4. Harris
    Lois Maxwell. Like Young, she is not comparable.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, for me:

1) Lois (the champ)

2) Naomie (only 1 film but very happy with her so far)

3) Samantha (I enjoy her repartee; nearly tied with Naomie)

4) Caroline (lovely, but made to look too stereotypical)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    W_PPK wrote:
    1. Bliss
    2. Maxwell
    Bliss is my favourite too, but I must admit it's probably because I find her to be the hands-down sexiest. Lois had so much more opportunity to flesh out the character.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Lois just had amazing chemistry with Connery and Rog and the flirting feels less cringeworthy to me than with our other moneypenny's and 00's.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    DCisared wrote:
    Lois just had amazing chemistry with Connery and Rog and the flirting feels less cringeworthy to me than with our other moneypenny's and 00's.
    And Lois's MP at Bond's wedding at the end of OHMSS is heart crushing. Lois and only Lois could sell the scene that exceptionally.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Lois Maxwell invented the character on-screen, so she usually gets the default nod. I've been watching a lot of the DVDs recently, and in a lot of em she just doesn't do much other than the usual office scene. Harris, I really like. I think it's her accent.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    1. Lois Maxwell (by far the BEST Moneypenny of all time)

2. Samantha Bond (alright replacement, not brilliant)

3. Naomie Harris (cool to know her roots, but as a secretary?)

4. Caroline Bliss (acts like a schoolgirl with a crush, and the line "Listen to my... Barry Manilow collection" is horrifying)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    =bg= wrote:
    Lois Maxwell invented the character on-screen, so she usually gets the default nod. I've been watching a lot of the DVDs recently, and in a lot of em she just doesn't do much other than the usual office scene. Harris, I really like. I think it's her accent.

I can see that argument, but nobody played the flirt like she did, and nobody else gave it the heart she was able to. As I said earlier, in OHMSS when Bond throws her his hat as he and Tracy as about to get in the car and drive away after the wedding ceremony, the look on her face is heart crushing. Only Lois could pull off that scene that well.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) Maxwell - obviously
    2) Harris - still not sure how I feel about her being an agent but the actress did a good job
    3) Bond - solid if not spectacular
    4) Bliss - not terrible but the weakest of the four
    1. Lois Maxwell (The Winner!!!)
    2. Samantha Bond ( Lol her last name is Bond)
    3. Naomi Harris ( Her rating might change as she was only in Skyfall)
    4. Caroline Bliss
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Lois Maxwell by far..

Caroline Bliss might have been decent if she was in more than just 2 films... but she came off too nerdy and timid at times

Samantha Bond was alright in her first two Bond movies, but she really was nonexistent in her last 2, and not the same character that she started with in GE

Naomi Harris.. she's a good actress.. the book is still out on her right now.. i did like her banter with 007 in SF though..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Lois Maxwell

followed by
    Naomi Harris
    Samatha Bond
    and
    Caroline Bliss.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    chrisisall wrote:
    Bliss is my favourite too, but I must admit it's probably because I find her to be the hands-down sexiest.

Even though she's not my favorite Moneypenny, I always found Bliss to be more attractive than Maryam d'Abo in TLD. If I had been Bond I would have forgotten all about Kara and hooked up with Moneypenny! Preferably at my place though so there would be no Barry Manilow involved.
    Maxwell. I genuinely consider you a fool to pick anyone else, especially Bliss.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. Maxwell
    2. Harris
    3. Bond

4.Bliss
  • Maxwell
    Bond
    Bliss

Don't really want to rate Harris as yet after only seeing her in the one movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Lois Maxwell all the way. There is none other.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The scene after Bering on the rooftop and before Bond goes into see M (Mallory) had Harris as infinitely more moneypennyesque than anything Bliss ever did in her 2 outings.

For now anyway:

Maxwell
    Harris
    Bond

Bliss
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Come on, you gotta go with the late Lois Maxwell. Even when she was getting long in the tooth with Roger, she still was the best.

1. Lois Maxwell
    2. Naomie Harris
    3. Caroline Bliss / Samantha Bond (tie)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Dunno why Bond gets so much stick. She had some crap lines (not all bad though) but she had good chemistry with Brosnan and when she was playing MP she seemed more natural than Harris (who I think comes across as a bit wooden) imo.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Dunno why Bond gets so much stick. She had some crap lines (not all bad though) but she had good chemistry with Brosnan and when she was playing MP she seemed more natural than Harris (who I think comes across as a bit wooden) imo.
    I actually agree with you on Harris, but I (for some reason) attribute her awkwardness in Skyfall to the fact that this is the first time she is flirting with James Bond. I'm hoping that in future films it will be more natural, as she will become more used to him. Maybe I' grasping for straws there, I don't know.

And as far as Samantha Bond goes, she is fine performance wise (mostly). But as you said, she had some terrible lines, and the while her character did seem to like Bond, she often came across as hostile and mean. When Lois Maxwell appeared on screen, you get ready for some warm, friendly banter. When Samantha Bond appears on screen, you get ready for Bond to somehow be dissed. (And in GE she was just a b----.)
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Samantha Bond
    Lois Maxwell
    Naomie Harris
    Caroline Bliss