Moneypenny Becoming M

Comments

• THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    Wait their have been people who said bond should be black gay and female lmfao wow
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DarthDimi wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    I know but their will be a lot of people who wouldn't like it.

The penny drops, as they say. Let's not mess with James Bond - period. Which is why we shouldn't discuss
    - MP becoming M
    - Bond becoming M
    - Bond being female, gay, black, ...
    - Mallory being a double agent

We're 23 (or is it 25) films in and yet ultimately people still want things to be more or less as they've always been. There's a certain limit to the freedom we have in trying out new things.

The question one should really ask is: does any of these suggestions improve on the quality of the films? Since the only sensible answer would always be no, I suggest we leave the current state of affairs more or less intact.

My two cents.

Add that nonsense about Bond being a code name to the list as well. I just want to rip the faces off of people advocating such garbage.
    I think many people mix Bond with soap opera and think we can just add things at will, however ridiculous, without any problem: Bond as a codename, M is really his mother, Le Chiffre survived and became Blofeld, etc.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    THEBond007 wrote:
    Wait their have been people who said bond should be black gay and female lmfao wow

I don't think anyone's ever suggested all three at the same time but no doubt they do exist.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,143
    doubleoego wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    I know but their will be a lot of people who wouldn't like it.

The penny drops, as they say. Let's not mess with James Bond - period. Which is why we shouldn't discuss
    - MP becoming M
    - Bond becoming M
    - Bond being female, gay, black, ...
    - Mallory being a double agent

We're 23 (or is it 25) films in and yet ultimately people still want things to be more or less as they've always been. There's a certain limit to the freedom we have in trying out new things.

The question one should really ask is: does any of these suggestions improve on the quality of the films? Since the only sensible answer would always be no, I suggest we leave the current state of affairs more or less intact.

My two cents.

Add that nonsense about Bond being a code name to the list as well. I just want to rip the faces off of people advocating such garbage.

Wow, psychopath in the making! Why stop there, rip their limbs off also. BTW, I agree with your point :)
  • THEBond007 wrote:

I wouldn't mind a black Bond and I think changing his appearence (which has been done before) is a much less stupid suggestion than Moneypenny becoming M or Judi Dench returning.
    I love Daniel Craig but I hope Bond 26 could be his last one or 27 I would like to see a new Bond sooner or later. Don't get me wrong Craig is my favorite Bond.
  • THEBond007 wrote:
    I love Daniel Craig but I hope Bond 26 could be his last one or 27 I would like to see a new Bond sooner or later. Don't get me wrong Craig is my favorite Bond.

If you love him and he's your favourite then why do you want him to go? It would be good to hear why.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,983
    THEBond007 wrote:
    If you love him and he's your favourite then why do you want him to go? It would be good to hear why.
    Because if you love someone, you should set them free... 8->
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ]
    QBranch wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    Because if you love someone, you should set them free... 8->

Oh, don't go Rick Blaine on us, @QBranch. ;)
    THEBond007 wrote:

I don't know maybe I would just like when new people come in.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 194
    THEBond007 wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:

I don't know maybe I would just like when new people come in.

I love DC too, but seven movies is a bit much. But hey, if they can make it work and still produce good movies I'll keep going.

I'm just thinking at 27 DC will be too old to play the part, but if they work it into the storyline I think it could work. I just would want to see Bond start to act like his age, having to rely on his finesse over physical presence. I don't want to see a 65 year old DC being able to manhandle three guys at once.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    At one point, even Craig will get a bit long in the tooth for Bond. Five? Perhaps. Seven? I honestly doubt that. Why don't we strike a balance and tell him he's had his six when the time comes? ;-)
  • I think Craig has plenty still to offer however after another two he'll be getting on a little and he looks the type that may not age too well. He's not exactly got boyish looks has he?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    At one point, even Craig will get a bit long in the tooth for Bond. Five? Perhaps. Seven? I honestly doubt that. Why don't we strike a balance and tell him he's had his six when the time comes? ;-)

This all depends about how long the delays between films. If the next one is on 2014, then I think it is reasonable to think he can make a fifth one in 2016, but then he would be close to 50 and it will be time to find a successor. If the delay is three years between films, then it is more likely that we will have four Bonds with Craig.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think he'll probably do 5. If Bond 24 isn't out until 2015 then maybe he'll stop after that.

Or maybe, if they get the movies out very quickly, maybe 6 (although I don't think he's aging brilliantly so I think that's really pushing it).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2013 Posts: 3,497
    If they will ever make Naomi Harris' Moneypenny the new M, there will be a huge outcry from the "true experts".

• JamesCraig wrote:
    If they will ever make Naomi Harris' Moneypenny the new M, there will be a huge outcry from the "true experts".

Don't worry, that will not happen, unless the writers are sniffing a dodgy substance! I do like Naomi Harris as Moneypenny though. I look forward to see how this modern take on the classic character develops.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Why not? Naomi would do a great job.
  • RC7RC7
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I thought Naomi was the weak link in SF. For that reason alone I'm sceptical about what to expect in future outings. However, she's proven to be a decent actress in the past so I'm holding out hope she settles in better for 24. As for the 'M' idea, I don't see how there is a logical career progression there. From what we saw in SF I'd be happy if Fiennes sticks around until he pops his clogs. An absolute masterstroke of casting IMO.
  • X3MSonicX wrote:
    Why not? Because the Moneypenny character is a PA to M. How many PA's to CEO's end up taking over when their boss retires or dies? M is at the top of the tree in Mi6, Moneypenny is effectively just a secretary. How hard is this to grasp?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Why not? Because the Moneypenny character is a PA to M. How many PA's to CEO's end up taking over when their boss retires or dies? M is at the top of the tree in Mi6, Moneypenny is effectively just a secretary. How hard is this to grasp?
    In the civil service the difference is even greater. I work in a government agency and there's no chance at all that one of our top secretaries would end up in the management team, let alone become the head of the organisation. The skills necessary are just too different.
    The head of MI6 would have to send people on dangerous missions, keep budgets, fight political fights to defend the budgets and the organisation, etc. These are things secretaries have no clue about doing.
  • X3MSonicX wrote:
    In the civil service the difference is even greater. I work in a government agency and there's no chance at all that one of our top secretaries would end up in the management team, let alone become the head of the organisation. The skills necessary are just too different.
    The head of MI6 would have to send people on dangerous missions, keep budgets, fight political fights to defend the budgets and the organisation, etc. These are things secretaries have no clue about doing.

Well put. Good to hear someone making sense. Surely this thread can now be closed, unless we think Moneypenny is the natural choice to be the next Q?
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Well put. Good to hear someone making sense. Surely this thread can now be closed, unless we think Moneypenny is the natural choice to be the next Q?

I wonder why people would still need to explain why not. Simply mind blasting.
    Maybe there should one thread for the most ridiculous theories and suggestions. And to debunk them.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Ludovico wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I wonder why people would still need to explain why not. Simply mind blasting.

Thanks for the explanation, people. However i meant Why Not having Naomi as Moneypenny.
  • Doesn't read like that considering the response to my comment. I stated I do like Naomi as Moneypenny. I don't however understand how some people seem to believe the character of Moneypenny can elevate themselves to the position of M. It's just nonsense.
    Doesn't read like that considering the response to my comment. I stated I do like Naomi as Moneypenny. I don't however understand how some people seem to believe the character of Moneypenny can elevate themselves to the position of M. It's just nonsense.

I know, i actually read it. Sorry. But i wasn't saying that it was about your state, friend. I thought that was someone here that said that Naomi wouldn't be a good Moneypenny.
  • No worries, I understand. I agree about Naomi. I'm excited at the prospect of how her interpretation of Moneypenny will play out and I enjoyed her performance in Skyfall :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    THEBond007 wrote:

I don't think anyone's ever suggested all three at the same time but no doubt they do exist.

Can Latifah do a British accent? ;)