Moneypenny Becoming M

THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
edited February 2013 in Actors Posts: 91
As we all know Lois Maxwell was the first Moneypenny. On Wikipedia under her Later years and death section it said that she would love to see Moneypenny becoming M. DO you think it would be a good idea. Could Lois Maxwell have been a good M?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I would love for an era go on long enough for Bond to be M. That would be special, and I think it is a great job for him to have when he retires from the field. Fleming knows he deserves it.
    I would have loved to see Lois Maxwell as M. Not sure how realistic it is for a secretary to be promoted to the head of MI6, but I like the idea.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    I would love for an era go on long enough for Bond to be M. That would be special, and I think it is a great job for him to have when he retires from the field. Fleming knows he deserves it.

It's acutally Money penny becoming M it would be a good idea. Then maybe Moneypenny can finally have Jame Bond hahah.
    :))
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    nope. need a mean streak to play M.
  • Money penny becoming M?! She's a secretary not a deputy. Whilst she is very good at her job, there is a marked difference between typing and applying lipstick to making decisions in matters of national and international security.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Money penny becoming M?! She's a secretary not a deputy. Whilst she is very good at her job, there is a marked difference between typing and applying lipstick to making decisions in matters of national and international security.
    The Feminists of the international world would have a ball with you! ;)
    Money penny becoming M?! She's a secretary not a deputy. Whilst she is very good at her job, there is a marked difference between typing and applying lipstick to making decisions in matters of national and international security.

I don't think so: Judi Dench having been M for years, it just shows some women can be M, with the right background.
  • I would love for an era go on long enough for Bond to be M. That would be special, and I think it is a great job for him to have when he retires from the field. Fleming knows he deserves it.

I don't think Bond would ever want to become M. In the novels, he's always quite bored when he's in the office, he hates sitting around and doing nothing but reading reports. As M, all he would get to do, is sit behind a desk, have meetings with the folks from MI5, Scotland Yard, Ministers (all of whom, iirc, Bond doesn't really like), and occasionally send out other agents to do what he would be aching to do himself, constantly reminding him of his own mortality and age. No, I think when the time would come that Bond wouldn't be fit enough to go into the field, he'd just hang up the Walther and retire in Jamaica.

I don't think Bond would ever want to become M. In the novels, he's always quite bored when he's in the office, he hates sitting around and doing nothing but reading reports. As M, all he would get to do, is sit behind a desk, have meetings with the folks from MI5, Scotland Yard, Ministers (all of whom, iirc, Bond doesn't really like), and occasionally send out other agents to do what he would be aching to do himself, constantly reminding him of his own mortality and age. No, I think when the time would come that Bond wouldn't be fit enough to go into the field, he'd just hang up the Walther and retire in Jamaica.

It would be the last job Bond would want to have.
    Ludovico wrote:

It would be the last job Bond would want to have.

Yeah, I know. Bond is a field man, till death or retirement.
  • Taffin wrote:
    I would have loved to see Lois Maxwell as M. Not sure how realistic it is for a secretary to be promoted to the head of MI6, but I like the idea.

It depends on which Moneypenny that we're talking about.

In the 60s, "secretaries" were seen as just secretaries. No matter how competent, how much of their bosses' duties they could help with, they were seen as being "the help". I can't see Maxwell's Moneypenny ever being promoted even in the 80s.

Now, Eve Moneypenny would have a better chance - still a slim chance, but a better one. Admin assistants these days can often perform almost every aspect of their bosses' jobs and indeed often do at certain times (although "behind the scenes"). Of course, I'm talking about high-level assistants - which would describe Eve (there was a new poster here at the time of SF's premiere who worked as an admin assistant herself and complained bitterly about what an unrespected, terrible job it was and how it diminished and insulted Eve to be doing it). In fact, I have even seen admin assistants promoted to managerial positions in the real world. It's still not common, but I've seen it happen a few times.

Now, Eve will have a tremendous amount of experience helping to run the 007 section and she has field experience herself. Would that be enough to become M after, say, 20 years? Possibly, but it's not probable. But more probable than it's been in the past.

I think she could have done it. She could be strong enough to. Now she might be as tough because she is a little sweet. And it would be 50/50 how good she will do because she has a thing for james.
    No, not for me. There has been enough tinkering around with the formula. No more please!!!
    Will the new formula in Sky fall worked well, but can they do it again in Bond 24
  • Ludovico wrote:

I don't think so: Judi Dench having been M for years, it just shows some women can be M, with the right background.

Of course any woman with the right background / experience could be M and Dench's M was testament to that. Women are just as capable. But we are talking about Moneypenny. She is a secretary, a personal assistant, she doesn't have the creditials to be promoted to such a role. It would be like the house keeper of the White House being the next President of the US because they clean the White House whiter than white.
    Well Moneypenny is strong in all the movies. I'm not saying that all the woman who played Moneypenny can do it. All I am saying is that Lois Maxwell could have done an a good job being M
  • THEBond007 wrote:
    Well Moneypenny is strong in all the movies. I'm not saying that all the woman who played Moneypenny can do it. All I am saying is that Lois Maxwell could have done an a good job being M

Sorry, if you mean Lois Maxwell the actress then I totally agree with you. If you mean Maxwell's Moneypenny character then I would disagree with you.
    Ludovico wrote:

Of course any woman with the right background / experience could be M and Dench's M was testament to that. Women are just as capable. But we are talking about Moneypenny. She is a secretary, a personal assistant, she doesn't have the creditials to be promoted to such a role. It would be like the house keeper of the White House being the next President of the US because they clean the White House whiter than white.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you. That is what I meant: we don't object to a woman being head of MI6. But a secretary being head of MI6 does not make any sense.
    Lois Maxwell the actress could be Moneypenny because she is strong enough. But really how bad could Moneypenny be as M
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This suggestion is ridiculous beyond imagination.

@THEBond007, in this and other threads you keep making suggestions that go nowhere. You talk about making lengthy references to Judy Dench in future Bonds, now you suggest a MP turning M. A secretary with a girlish crush on Bond suddenly in charge of MI6? Do come on.

What's next? Q as the next Blofeld?
    edited February 2013 Posts: 91
    You know what i am tired of this [].

Mod edit: offensive language removed.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    What's next? Q as the next Blofeld?

I have a theory about internet forums: however ridiculous an idea is, it will brought forward by someone as sensible. I remember when CR was released, I read somewhere a guy suggesting that Le Chiffre survived CR, in fact faking his death, gained a bigger scar around his eye somehow, shaved his head and became Blofeld. No kidding.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die

After 23 missions, we may think he already should deserve it? ;)
    X3MSonicX wrote:

No No NO. That must be the stupidest thing ever. WHat will the movie be aabout Jame just sitting behind a desk and doing paper work will some other agent goes out no terrible. Granted if they say Bond is M and does do field work picks his own missions then maybe.
    THEBond007 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

No No NO. That must be the stupidest thing ever. WHat will the movie be aabout Jame just sitting behind a desk and doing paper work will some other agent goes out no terrible. Granted if they say Bond is M and does do field work picks his own missions then maybe.

No, genius. They meant the old Bond becomes M for the new Bond's timeline.

So Brosnan would have been Craig's M, or Craig would become the next Bond actor's M.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

So Brosnan would have been Craig's M, or Craig would become the next Bond actor's M.

I was wondering when it was going to show up. The stupid codename theory.
    I know but come on that is a stupid idea to bring a old Bond back to play M why that makes no since. What is the point of that.
    Ludovico wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I was wondering when it was going to show up. The stupid codename theory.

It doesn't have to be BOND as M, but just the actor. As sort of a nod and a wink.

But I suppose some simple minded people wouldn't get that actors are actors, not characters.
    I know but their will be a lot of people who wouldn't like it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THEBond007 wrote:
    I know but their will be a lot of people who wouldn't like it.

The penny drops, as they say. Let's not mess with James Bond - period. Which is why we shouldn't discuss
    - MP becoming M
    - Bond becoming M
    - Bond being female, gay, black, ...
    - Mallory being a double agent

We're 23 (or is it 25) films in and yet ultimately people still want things to be more or less as they've always been. There's a certain limit to the freedom we have in trying out new things.

The question one should really ask is: does any of these suggestions improve on the quality of the films? Since the only sensible answer would always be no, I suggest we leave the current state of affairs more or less intact.

My two cents.