Another way to die...was it that bad?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 269
    Ok, here I go defending Another Way to Die.
    I have to confess that when I first heard it the day of QOS opening, I was quite shocked. It did not sound like a Bond Theme. But as I listen to it some more time afterwards, I thought that although the tone of the music was unfamiliar with what was done before, it was a very good song.
    YES! A very good song with a music that matches the gritty look of today's Bond film and lyrics that were more worthy of Fleming's character than all the nonsense crap in Adele's song.

for the lyrics: for once the main song does not fall into easy listening. The problem I have with songs like Adele's one is that despite the fact that they are quite effective (with big orchestra and becoming more and more powerful), they are not very interesting to listen as such. Another Way to die has the different instrument cleverly answering to each other. It doesn't have a melody as such, but the mixture of the various piano/drums and guitar really achieves to create an excellent, rich and effective music with a particular tone.

as for the duet: what I like with this duet is that it's not a usual romance song. Jack White's voice is not so masculine and with Alicia Keys' voice, I think it completes very well with each other, singing together rather than to each other.

as for the lyrics: it changes from the actual love song which apart from the singer's voice, are not this interesting. The song is made of fragment that are evoking to me quite visually the gritty world in which Bond evolves, and it reminds me of the description and mood in Fleming's books, with short sentences that are simple but mean much.

So for me, even if Another Way to Die won't live forever, it remains one of the most interesting Bond song to listen to, it is as cynical as Goldeneye and Thunderball, as effective as You know my name and Tomorrow never dies, and ages away from the gentle melodies of the Moore era that Adele is copying in her song.
    So once again: Yes, it's good song!
  • It's a mix bag for me. It's a bit of a car crash of a song for me, all over the place with messy musical arrangement and vocals yet somehow it works. It isn't pleasing on the ears but does has a positive impact. I have to be in the mood to enjoy it.
  • I still stand by my opinion on it.
    Fantastic song. It's so different. Not a huge fan of Alicia's vocals in it, would have been much happier if Jack White had been left to do a solo version, but the ups and downs in beat, the drumming, the guitar riffs. Such an intricate, interesting. brilliant song.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,043

It's the worst thing White has done granted but I find TND & TWINE worst songs personally, Crowe's song is a complete dirge and TWINE just puts me to sleep, it's the worst of the Craig era but worse full stop, I'll take it over All Time High, worst Barry Theme tune in my view, no I do prefer MWTGG. DAD was just plain wrong full stop, I'm sure if Madonna wasn't so obsessed with trying to be some dance pioneer and produced a straight forward ballad we might have had something OK.

I've no problem with Barry's OP score not one of his classics but still better than all of Arnold's in my view despite the thing I don't have allot of time for the film, I will give it another watch but there is more than Tarzan yells and casual racism that irks me about that film.

Keyes should have never been used and White should have done it on his own, lets face it he was given very little time to come up with it, I think some of you forget that, Adele & Epworth had months to compose there's. If White had been given the time properly I'm pretty sure it would have been much better, that being said White leaves Adele's considerable talent in the dust, the man is a musical wonder, it's just such a shame he didn't get a chance to rise to the challenge.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,043
    Duplicate.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    It's shockingly bad, down there in the gutter with DAD. It's a toss up between this and DAD as the worst song in the franchise.

The first time I heard it leaked on the internet, I thought it was some kind of bad joke, and that another song was being produced and this was just some trash made up to throw people off the scent.

Never in my wildest nightmares did I think this would actually be the song that would make it to the film.

Utterly offensive. 0/10.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ytterbium wrote:
    Ok, here I go defending Another Way to Die.

It doesn't have a melody as such

And that's a bloke defending it.

Hope Pistorious has a better counsel than you otherwise his opening statement to the court will be along the lines of 'I done her in, you've got me bang to rights. It's a fair cop.'
    Have to say it has grown on me, Its kinda going for the LALD approach with its changes throughout the track?
    This is utterly ridiculous the worst thing ever and offensive, have you not heard One Direction?

Now that is garbage and offensive, White's song wasn't great but seriously there are plenty worst songs out there.