Favourite Non-Bond Movies

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @X3MSonicX, that sounds like 'Married Life', with Patricia Clarkson, Chris Cooper, and Rachel McAdams. If that's it, that is also an excellent film. Chris and Patricia are husband and wife, but Chris' mistress is Rachel, and his best friend is Pierce. But, Pierce starts to fall in love with Chris' mistress.
    Series:

Batman Series- particularly Batman (1989), Batman Forever, Batman Returns, and Batman Begins (I detest Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight- they are complete mockeries of Batman)

Indiana Jones Series- All of them, with Last Crusade being my favorite

Star Wars- All 6, with Empire Strikes Back and Phantom Menace being my favorites

Mission Impossible Series- All 4, with Ghost Protocol being my favorite

Toy Story Series- All 3, with #2 being my favorite probably

National Treasure- Both, with the second being my favorite

Night at the Museum- Both, with the second being my favorite

Non-Series:

The Fugitive
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop
    Zookeeper
    The Patriot Games
    Air Force One
    Kindergarten Cop
    Tarzan
    Dennis the Menace
    Treasure Planet
    The Matador with Brozzy I enjoyed alot.

Timeshare with Timothy Dalton was a great film lol, seriously I enjoyed it

Highlander with Sean was pretty good.

Roger's appearance in Boat Trip was pretty funny.

Patriot Games with Sean Bean is one of my favorite movies too, very good performance by Bean if I must say.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    Series:

Batman Series- particularly Batman (1989), Batman Forever, Batman Returns, and Batman Begins (I detest Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight- they are complete mockeries of Batman)

Indiana Jones Series- All of them, with Last Crusade being my favorite

Star Wars- All 6, with Empire Strikes Back and Phantom Menace being my favorites

Mission Impossible Series- All 4, with Ghost Protocol being my favorite

Toy Story Series- All 3, with #2 being my favorite probably

National Treasure- Both, with the second being my favorite

Night at the Museum- Both, with the second being my favorite

Non-Series:

The Fugitive
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop
    Zookeeper
    The Patriot Games
    Air Force One
    Kindergarten Cop
    Tarzan
    Dennis the Menace
    Treasure Planet
    TDK is the spitting image of all that Batman is.
    :O
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: No, I hate The Dark Knight. Christian Bale is NOT Batman and shouldn't have ever been in the role at all. His voice is disgusting and as Bruce Wayne he is an absolute fluke. Heath Ledger is a disgrace to the character of The Joker and makes me want Jack Nicholson to come in and immediately save the movie from total failure. He is NOT The Joker and should never have been at all. Yes, I realize The Joker is supposed to be a dark and brooding, sinister killer who isn't cracking puns left and right, and that describes Jack Nicholson perfectly. In fact, I'd even settle for Mark Hamill as a live-action Joker; goodness knows he was absolutely perfect as Joker in cartoon form! I also hate all the political and social crud that overtakes The Dark Knight instead of watching Batman kick butt. That's one of Dark Knight's problems- it is horribly boring!! I really hate the ending of the movie too. The fact that Batman should ever be hunted by the police is ridiculous. I simply face-palm at the very idea.
    Road to Perdition has actually been my favorite movie for a long time, long before Craig was Bond. Obviously, you could probably tell how ecstatic I was when I heard the news about Mendes.
    The Dark Knight was legendary. Heath Ledger did a outstanding job, he practically took the movie to a whole new level, he stole every scene. TDK was more than just a super - hero movie, it was drama as well, damn good drama. In my opinion its the best portrayal of Batman and the joker.
    00Beast wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: No, I hate The Dark Knight. Christian Bale is NOT Batman and shouldn't have ever been in the role at all. His voice is disgusting and as Bruce Wayne he is an absolute fluke. Heath Ledger is a disgrace to the character of The Joker and makes me want Jack Nicholson to come in and immediately save the movie from total failure. He is NOT The Joker and should never have been at all. Yes, I realize The Joker is supposed to be a dark and brooding, sinister killer who isn't cracking puns left and right, and that describes Jack Nicholson perfectly. In fact, I'd even settle for Mark Hamill as a live-action Joker; goodness knows he was absolutely perfect as Joker in cartoon form! I also hate all the political and social crud that overtakes The Dark Knight instead of watching Batman kick butt. That's one of Dark Knight's problems- it is horribly boring!! I really hate the ending of the movie too. The fact that Batman should ever be hunted by the police is ridiculous. I simply face-palm at the very idea.

As much as I love TDK, I do commend you for actually sticking by a hatred for the film, as odd as it might sound. I fear that when TDK came out, everyone jumped the bandwagon and loved the film, just to love the film. I caught it during the midnight release and have loved and watched it so much, many times since, but I honestly don't recall seeing someone who really didn't like the film - thank you for that, haha.

@battleshipgreygt, I haven't seen Road to Perdition in a long, long, long time, but I do recall loving it. Really cool to know that Craig and Mendes have worked together before, and the reason Mendes is at the helm for SF is because it was a request of Craig's.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    TDK is mature, deep, and moving. Batman is being chased because he has to. He vowed to be anything he had to be to insure Gotham's safety, whether he looks good or evil. The Joker is the symbol of a man who has no compassion, and wants the world to burn. He is maniacal, but a man still. He shows Gotham that evil has a face, and one like everyone else. That's poetic, and I don't know why you don't like that. It is a die-hard Batman fan's dream come true.
    TDK is mature, deep, and moving. Batman is being chased because he has to. He vowed to be anything he had to be to insure Gotham's safety, whether he looks good or evil. The Joker is the symbol of a man who has no compassion, and wants the world to burn. He is maniacal, but a man still. He shows Gotham that evil has a face, and one like everyone else. That's poetic, and I don't know why you don't like that. It is a die-hard Batman fan's dream come true.

The reason I love The Joker so much is because he wants to destroy the absolute definition of 'good' just to do it. No motive, no driving force, he, like you said, just wants to see the world burn, no matter what it takes or who is put at risk.

Actually, Batman the Animated Series already did that in September of 1992!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    00Beast wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Heath Ledger is a disgrace to the character of The Joker and makes me want Jack Nicholson to come in and immediately save the movie from total failure. He is NOT The Joker and should never have been at all. Yes, I realize The Joker is supposed to be a dark and brooding, sinister killer who isn't cracking puns left and right, and that describes Jack Nicholson perfectly.

It's been a while since I've seen Burton's Batman, but didn't Nicholson have his fair share of puns and one liners?

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" springs to mind anyway.
    00Beast wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Heath Ledger is a disgrace to the character of The Joker and makes me want Jack Nicholson to come in and immediately save the movie from total failure. He is NOT The Joker and should never have been at all. Yes, I realize The Joker is supposed to be a dark and brooding, sinister killer who isn't cracking puns left and right, and that describes Jack Nicholson perfectly.

It's been a while since I've seen Burton's Batman, but didn't Nicholson have his fair share of puns and one liners?

Yes he did, but they were perfectly delivered, and I could believe that he was The Joker. I never got that with Ledger. He just looked like some dumb punk thug who hoped to be anything like Nicholson and Hamill's Jokers.
    Must...leave...thread...hastily...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Yes he did, but they were perfectly delivered, and I could believe that he was The Joker. I never got that with Ledger. He just looked like some dumb punk thug who hoped to be anything like Nicholson and Hamill's Jokers.

Fair enough. I happen to like both versions, but that's just me. I prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight however. The former having a better structure and better pacing. Ledger's performance is the best thing about The Dark Knight, but the film sags in the 3rd act, right after the Batman/Joker interrogation. Bale's Batman voice is also intolerable in places, they should of just went the whole way and had Clint Eastwood play Batman.
    I must ask, has anyone besides me seen Timothy Dalton in the fox family original movie, "timeshare"? . he plays a widowed father and works as a chef in it. In the movie he goes on vacation with his kids but another family booked the same room as he did, A widowed mother and her kids arrive at the same time as Tim and his kids do...bla bla Tim falls in love with the widowed mom and they all become one big happy modern family.

It was a cute and enjoyable movie. so question is, anyone else remember this movie?
    *SPOILER ALERT*
    @TouchMyButtons, a simple plot or IMDB link would suffice. I don't need to see it now, since I know how the movie ends.
  • my favorite Dalton non Bond is Flash Gordon
    for Roger Moore its Cannonball Run
    for George Lazenby its Man From Hong Kong
    for Sean Connery its Outland
    for Craig its Layer Cake

• Honestly, I think The Blues Brothers is shot-for-shot the best movie ever made. I know there will be many who disagree with me, but take another look at the pacing and editing. I'm telling you, with the exception of a few scenes, it is the best shot movie made. There is a reason they had John Landis make the Thriller video (Michael Jackson for those too young)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    German television comemorated the death of Maximilian Schell by showing THE ODESSA FILE on late Sunday night. And I must admit, I heard about the movie - and, of course, the Frederick Forsythe novel - but I atually never got to see it. First thing that struck me: They would not be doing this film today the way they did it 40 years ago. No explosions, only one action scene (when Jon Voight kills Klaus Löwitsch), apart from that just straight narration, relying on the quality of the novel, the script, the director, and the actors. I would call that (in a positive way) old-fashioned film-making. Jon Voight is very good, and Maximilain Schell actually has a very difficult job to do. His Eduard Rosmann villain only appears right at the beginning of the movie in 2 b/w flashbacks and then at the end, when he confronts Miller. So he is in the film for about 15 minutes or less, but his characters is omnipresent throughout the movie, and Schell delivers that difficult task splendidly. made me think, that bakc in the 1960's or 1970's he would have made a worthy Bond villain either for Sean Connery or Roger Moore. The only thing I had my difficulties with, was Andrew Lloyd Webber's score plus the theme song "Christmas Dream". I see the intention of having such a jolly song in an otherwise grim movie, but still it does not work for me. But then maybe it's just me. I would have preferred John Barry (of course) or Jery Goldsmith or Lalo Shifrin. But as I said, today they would not make movies like this the way they did it. The one exception maybe TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, which I liked very much, but then at least over here in Germany the audience did not really warm to it, maybe because they thought the story telling being too slow, to less actions secens, stunts, explosions, and the like.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    My favourite movie of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark - but I love all Indy movies, no exceptions.
    Then I love A Clockwork Orange, Jurassic Park and the Star Wars saga.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Pierce Brosnan :
    The Thomas Crown affair, After the sunset , The november man, Some kind of beautiful, Butterfly on a wheel and The tailor of Panama

Sean Connery
    Marnie and Entrapment

Timothy Dalton :
    Wuthering Heights

Daniel Craig:
    Defiance, The girl with the dragon Tattoo and Munich

Bond M

Judi Dench
    Shakespeare in Love

Ralph Fiennes
    The English Patient, The End of the affair, Schindler's list and the constant Gardener

Bond girls

Monica Bellucci
    Malena

Lea Seydoux
    Beauty and the Beast

Famke Jansen
    Hansel and Gretel and The Taken trilogy

Olga kurylenco
    The November man

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Films I have enjoyed featuring the Bond actors? Try for some less well known ones as well I think.

Sean Connery
    Many films I have enjoyed, but less obvious ones include The Molly Maguires (with Richard Harris), A Fine Madness (a comedy!!), First Knight (a guilty pleasure) and pre-Bond Hell Drivers.

George Lazenby
    The only 'proper' film I have seen him in was Saint Jack - a really good Peter Bogdanovitch film. It was a support role but he was very good in it.

Roger Moore
    Love Shout At The Devil, The Wild Geese and going back in time Gold Of The Seven Saints with Rog doing an Irish accent (of sorts).

Timothy Dalton
    As Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights. Also good in a small budget comedy called Hawks.

Pierce Brosnan
    I can't believe how few films I have seen of his. None of his more acclaimed recent performances. So I will pick out two comedies which aren't anywhere near the top of his pile, but he is so suited to comedy - Laws Of Attraction and A Long Way Down.

Daniel Craig
    Enduring Love, Elizabeth (a cheat as he has a small role in this), and I am the only person in the world who likes Cowboys And Aliens.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Sean Connery – Highlander, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

George Lazenby – Not really “seen” him in anything else but tv, but he’s heard in Batman Beyond: The Movie, does that count?

Roger Moore – The Man Who Haunted Himself, North Sea Hijack

Timothy Dalton – Flash Gordon, The Rocketeer

Pierce Brosnan – November Man, The Thomas Crown Affair

Daniel Craig – The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Cowboys And Aliens
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NicNac wrote: »
    The Molly Maguires (with Richard Harris), A Fine Madness
    Those two absolutely rock.