Haywire; awesome female-version-of-Bond movie!

13»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    To everyone who flagged the spammy post, thanks. ;-)
  • chrisisall wrote:
    To me, the fight scenes were ferocious and technically near-perfect. I don't remember the beats you cite here being as off as you described them, and I saw it last night. I mean, it's possible there were mistakes like that, but I *think* I would have noticed them. I will be watching this again, and pretty soon!
    On another note, it was my first look at Fassbender, and though I liked him immensely in this movie, I don't think I'd like him as Bond.

chrisisall nails it. The stand out feature is the action - absolutely bone crunching. Due in no small part to the fact that Carona is a trained fighter who can really handle herself.
    For me the techniques employed to film the fight scenes (wide angle, continuation real time) are vastly superior to the Bourne/Bond fast cut style.
    If you've ever read any of the fabulous fight scenes in Peter O'Donnell's amazing "Modesty Blaise" books, you'll know that O'Donnell writes them the way Soderbergh filmed this.
    If Tarantino, or whoever holds the rights today, ever gets around to filming the best action thrillers of all time (Blaise), perhaps Carona can teach Gemma Arterton to fight when she takes the Blaise role. Fassbender would make the perfect Garvin!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Villiers53 wrote:
    For me the techniques employed to film the fight scenes (wide angle, continuation real time) are vastly superior to the Bourne/Bond fast cut style.
    she takes the Blaise role. Fassbender would make the perfect Garvin!

Isn't it refreshing to be able to SEE things as they happen?
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Villiers53 wrote:
    she takes the Blaise role. Fassbender would make the perfect Garvin!

Isn't it refreshing to be able to SEE things as they happen?

Absolutely and I think there will be a trend in this direction.
    The fast cut scenario pioneered by Bourne and copied by Bond is becoming extremely boring albeit one of the attractions of this technique could be that it makes it easier to avoid a UK 15 rating (Haywire was UK15).
    I think this more realistic wide angle real time continuation route is the way to go and frankly I don't think that UK12 yields a much bigger box office than UK15.
    Villiers53 wrote:
    The fast cut scenario pioneered by Bourne and copied by Bond is becoming extremely boring albeit one of the attractions of this technique could be that it makes it easier to avoid a UK 15 rating (Haywire was UK15).
    I think this more realistic wide angle real time continuation route is the way to go
    And the shaky cam thing started as a simple mimicking of hand held news camera, but over the years (and movies & TV shows) it somehow evolved into a combination of the quick zooms in seventies kung fu movies with documentary footage of earthquakes. So when you add in the fast cut thing, you really make a lot of the audience sick.
    I grew up watching long lasting, wide angle shots in Jackie Chan movies; loved seeing that kind of thing in Haywire.
    I wanted to like this but, her inexperience as an actress was offputting, she seemed to always be on the verge of laughing...

Another thing I hated was every time she pulled out her Automatic, she had to chamber a round, surely a pro-killer like her would already be locked and loaded???
  • chrisM wrote:
    I wanted to like this but, her inexperience as an actress was offputting, she seemed to always be on the verge of laughing...

Another thing I hated was every time she pulled out her Automatic, she had to chamber a round, surely a pro-killer like her would already be locked and loaded???

This would depend on the op/situ, if you believed that your weapon could be taken from you & used against you at any point, then you wouldn't have a round in the chamber as this could gain you vital seconds, so as she was always in the unknown through the movie to me it's perfectly plausible that it would be quite natural to not chamber the round.

Well done, SNO!
    I did not liked the movie. It has interesting premise but in the end fails being entertaining action movie.
    6 or 6.5/10
    Gina Carano is good tough It would be good to see her as part of a Bond movie.