• edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    1) Fight Club 10/10
    2) Se7en 10/10
    3) The Game 9/10
    4) Zodiac 9/10
    5) TGWTDT 6/10
    6) Alien 3 4/10
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Glengary glenross, not many ensemble movies get better than this.

Coffee is for closers!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think Finchers best is Fight Club (closely followed by se7en) and his worst is Alien 3. I haven't seen all his films though.

You might have seen it already but if you haven't The assembly cut of Alien 3 is such a better film than the theatrical cut, you get a sense of what Fincher was trying to achieve. The Blu ray Alien set also has a lengthy documentary call Wreckage and Rage, that starts with developing the story and it many drafts then is about Fincher's battle with Fox. It's one of the most fascinating film docs I've seen, neither Fox or Fincher are painted particularly pretty but you can understand his frustrations.

I personally rate this version of Alien 2nd to Ridley Scott's original and find that much more refreshing than Cameron's very enjoyable but dated combat flick, Alien 3 harks back to the first film with a new fresh take I urge anyone who thinks it's the worst of the series to watch this version, it's not perfect but it hints at what Fincher could have achieved without the interference.

Really GWTDT 6/5?

doubleoego wrote:
    Glengary glenross, not many ensemble movies get better than this.

Coffee is for closers!!

"Go to lunch, will you got to lunch"

Yeah easily one of the best ensembles, everyone is on fire and Spacey who was very much in the infancy of his career hold himself admirably against some acting heavyweights, the scene where Shelley tears so many strips off him and then he turns the tables on him is an acting master class, people tend to go for the terrific Baldwin cameo but that film is full of so many utter sublime moments, recently got the Blu ray and watched it again recently, simply a masterpiece.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I really didn't like Alien 3 when I saw it (and I loved the first two). Then again it was the theatrical cut I saw. Interesting fact. Renny Harlin was approached for Alien 3 as well as Goldeneye.
    I think Alien is a masterpiece and for me Ridley's finest but as much as I loved Aliens as a kid I just find it a very enjoyable action flick with some pretty dumb lines in it now, Alien 3 is just so much more an interesting film though Fincher interests me so much more than Cameron, he's a visionary like Lucas, as far as directing Fincher is in another class.

Alien 3 always gets dismissed I can't believe some think Resurrection is better that is well and truly the dog of the series if we don't count the god awful spin offs.
    I actually enjoyed Resurrection more than the theatrical cut of Alien 3 when I first watched it - but it certainly paled to the first two in comparison. By a LONG shot.  I enjoy Aliens a lot but I think I too prefer Alien overall.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think the reason Alien 3 is so unpopular is because it followed Aliens. People wanted a sequel to Aliens. They wanted pulse rifles and flame throwers, they wanted Newt and Hicks, they wanted another big sci fi miltary action flick.

Instead they had a film with a smaller scale that had Ripley trapped on a planet with no weapons. Didn't bother me (I prefer Alien to Aliens anyway) but I imagine it pissed off lots of people at the time. My main problems with Alien 3 are the special effects, the deaths of Newt and Hicks and the story.

I'm honestly not sure if I prefer 3 or Ressurection. But I think both are miles below the first 3.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I was annoyed at the sudden deaths of Newt and Hicks too...and that put me in a bad mood for the rest of the film if I'm being honest.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    captain-america-1990-poster.jpg

I would say that this is in the Batman & Robin area of comic book films. Thankfully, without all that neon lighting. And the nipples, mustn't forget the nipples.
  • AliAli
    edited January 2013 Posts: 319
    Little did we realise the horror that was to come with final frontier ;-)

Final Frontier was a victim of the worst special effects of the series and too much Shatner egotism but had interesting ideas.

I'd also rather watch Nemesis than ever watch Insurrection again. Mind you, I'd rather chew my own leg off than ever watch Insurrection again! I really liked Voyage Home, more than the Khan/Spock duo. Undiscovered Country gets my vote for best ending though. Just for the last scene with Sulu going off on his own. Lovely moment.

As for films. Apart from working through the Bond BluRay box, the last film I watched was probably Moon. I expected a hashy remake of 2001 so was delighted to find a thoroughly intelligent, thought provoking and emotional sci fi film instead. Bloody marvellous! Going to try Source Code next but more interested in when Duncan Jones will start on Moon's pseudo sequel, Mute. I believe he's also working on an Ian Fleming biopic as well?
  • I've been too busy to watch any movies recently, but with the last response, I think Final Frontier is one of the very best with the original cast, probably second or third favorite after Wrath Of Khan. But the whole 'steal the Enterprise to search for God' was a bit of lame storyline, but a vast improvement on the absymal idea before, to save some whales in San Francisco. WTF was that all about. - Yes Nimoy as director, wanted a fun release or light hearted story after some previous serious entries, but it was a disaster for me. Completely absurd path to take in retrospect

Undiscovered Country leaves some of us older Trek fans a little misty eyed, as the original cast get together on deck and Chekov announces "Well, I guess this is goodbye" , or words to that effect, will have to watch again sometime. You realize the cast and characters you lived with for 25 years are going to be no more and all we will have is memories, so it is a little sad when the time arrives, and you realize an era is coming to an end, and I never did take much to Patrick Stewart and the Generations cast. You'll never beat the originals
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Django Unchained
    Violent, satirical, crude, stylish... pure Tarantino.
    Excellent performances by Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio, great music (I specially love the inclusion of
    Ain't no Grave by the master Johnny Cash
    ).
    As for the blood, Django Unchained may have a few gallons less than Kill Bill but while in the latter no one would feel sorry for the hundreds of ninjas killed, in the former History teach us something more deep and painful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,547
    captain-america-1990-poster.jpg

I would say that this is in the Batman & Robin area of comic book films. Thankfully, without all that neon lighting. And the nipples, mustn't forget the nipples.

It's the Sallanger cap! :D

Sir, you ought to watch Reb Brown's two Cap films. The second one even stars Christopher Lee. ;;) If the 1990 cap is in the Batman & Robin zone, I'd say both Reb Brown movies are in the Batman 66 group. But with less attractive women. ;-)

Anyway:

Cannibal Holocaust

cannibal-holocaust-locandina-dvd-usa.jpg

Some will call this filth and shockexploitation which, I guess, we could argue is correct. But, more than that, this film effectively demonstrates the barbaric nature of us, so-called civilised people, and how easy it is to make it show its face when exposed to the wilds of the jungle. In the end, one must decide who's the big evil in the plot and the outcome most surely isn't always what we expect. I'm a fan of Cannibal Holocaust and a passionate fan of its beautiful soundtrack.

But don't watch it please if your stomach isn't up to it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've never seen an episode of the 1960's Batman series. I think all that "biff, boff, pow" stuff would get on my nerves after a while.
    I've never seen an episode of the 1960's Batman series. I think all that "biff, boff, pow" stuff would get on my nerves after a while.

Its TERRIBLE - but funny
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

My main incentive for watching that series and the film:

This

and

this. ;-)
  • Sin City. Still fun. :)
    Aliens (1986)
    Great film. 10/10
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    What a wonderful evening's entertainment I've had. Started with one of my all time favourite films: Paul Mazursky's 'Willie & Phil' starring my favourite actress ever, Margot Kidder. I must have seen it at least 50 times over the years on VHS and Laserdisc but now it's finally been released on DVD - albeit only in Italy for some strange reason. Anyway, it was great to see it in widescreen for the very first time and to hear Claude Bolling's sublime score in 2.0.
    I followed this with 'Everything Or Nothing' which arrived from Amazon today. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it rather moving. Oh and whilst I'm as anti-Brosnan as can be where his eye-watering portrayal of 007 is concerned I must admit he comes across in this as an exceedingly nice chap. Pity the disc is vanilla - surely there must be a mountain of unused interview material.
    Went last night to see Lincoln a second time. AWESOME movie. Daniel Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones are nearing perfection in their play. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
    Just watched Die Hard 3, just as entertaining and funny as ever! Love the chemistry between Willis and Jackson!
    1) Se7en 9/10
    2) Alien 3 8/10
    3) Fight Club 6/10
    4) Zodiac 6/10
    5) The Game 4/10
    6) TGWTDT 4/10
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Just watched Die Hard 3, just as entertaining and funny as ever! Love the chemistry between Willis and Jackson!

Haha, all I could hear in my head after I read your post was Samuel's voice shouting "McClane!!!" :))
    Watched The Hurt Locker yesterday! Very good movie and pretty full on and real! Can see why it got Oscar recognition!
  • Flight

Brilliant. Densel Washington better win an Oscar. Django should still get best picture though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Flight

Brilliant. Densel Washington better win an Oscar. Django should still get best picture though.
    Unless Denzel miraculously becomes Daniel Day Lewis before mid February, I'd say his chances are quite slim.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Flight

Unless Denzel miraculously becomes Daniel Day Lewis before mid February, I'd say his chances are quite slim.

Yeah sadly you're probably right. He really is great in it though and although I haven't seen Lincoln or Les Mis or any of the others, I think he deserves an award.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Bo9bSl.jpg

Casablanca

If any film deserves the title of "perfect", it is this one. Every time I watch I feel a renewed pleasure. Everything from the brilliant acting from an A list cast, the biting imagery the refugees and their dreams of a better life, the horrors of war and the unity of all people and of course the passion of Rick and Ilsa, the greatest romance ever on celluloid all set against the breathtaking visuals is the epitome of filmmaking.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Batman-and-robin-screen-1.jpg

Batman & Robin (1997)

I decided to rewatch this after 12 years...
    WHY WAS THIS MOVIE EVEN MADE????? :'(
    I saw this in theater's as a young child and the only thing I remember was the bright neon colors. This movie nearly killed the Batman Franchise and is possibly the worst super hero movie ever...well that's debatable, green lantern was pretty horrible.
    2 out of 10.