Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    0013 wrote:
    Rewatched Se7en last night.
    What can I say that haven't been mentioned before? Well, I noticed there is John C. McGinley so I was wainting him to call Mills as Nancy and give him a long and funny rant.
    Seriously is an amazing movie from every point of view: performances, story, cinematography, music, ecc.

The serial killer genre and thrillers in general are still playing catch up, couldn't agree more it still works all these years later, I remember thinking as I left the cinema that I;d just seen a future classic and I wasn't wrong.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
    William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelley and Ricardo Montalban.

A huge improvement over Star Trek the motion picture, which felt like a remake of the TOS episode "Changling" TWOK is the sequel to the TOS episode "Space Seed" 15 years after. It's essentially a submarine battle movie in space. All held together by great acting, beautiful score by James Horner and excellent directing. Nick Meyer and Harve Bennett revived Star Trek for the Silver Screen and it payed off.

10/10
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    0013 wrote:
    What can I say that haven't been mentioned before? Well, I noticed there is John C. McGinley so I was wainting him to call Mills as Nancy and give him a long and funny rant.
    Seriously is an amazing movie from every point of view: performances, story, cinematography, music, ecc.

Great movie. One of my favourites. Would have loved to have seen it in the cinema but unfortunately I was only 10 when it came out. I remember a family friend saying to me they knew someone who couldn't sleep for several days after they saw it. Whether that was true or not I don't know (I wouldn't say it was THAT frightening).

I suspect that and Silence of the Lambs are probably the best movies in the genre.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Great movie. One of my favourites. Would have loved to have seen it in the cinema but unfortunately I was only 10 when it came out. I remember a family friend saying to me they knew someone who couldn't sleep for several days after they saw it. Whether that was true or not I don't know (I wouldn't say it was THAT frightening).

I suspect that and Silence of the Lambs are probably the best movies in the genre.

Dash up one for Zodiac from me. Basically just have David Fincher direct any serial killer mystery film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Dash up one for Zodiac from me. Basically just have David Fincher direct any serial killer mystery film.

Forgot about that. Excellent movie too - but I still think Seven and SOTL are slightly better.

Incidently I've got Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer on LoveFilm at the moment which I still need to watch. Is that any good?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Forgot about that. Excellent movie too - but I still think Seven and SOTL are slightly better.

Incidently I've got Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer on LoveFilm at the moment which I still need to watch. Is that any good?
    It is haunting. One of the most brutal/sick films I have ever seen. That isn't a knock on the film, just be prepared when going in, because this film brings it, and doesn't hold back.
    Ah, thanks. I'll prepare myself then.
    Andromeda strain - One of my favourite science fiction movies.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Four weddings and a funeral - 10/10 - One of the best romcoms ever, almost perfection and after having seen it so many times I keep laughing.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Zodiac is not really a serial killer film in the same sense, it has more in common with All The Presidents Men, it's more about the investigation by journalists and police.

It's one meticulous film and for me Fincher's masterpiece as a film personally a better film than both.
    Shardlake wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Zodiac is not really a serial killer film in the same sense, it has more in common with All The Presidents Men, it's more about the investigation by journalists and police.

It's one meticulous film and for me Fincher's masterpiece as a film personally a better film than both.

Se7en is from the same perspective for most of the film. More about the police than the killer. Zodiac is a serial killer film for sure, and the genre at its best. So clever.

We barely see the killer, amping up the paranoia. All the suspects muddle our minds and make us unsure what to believe. All the shots depicting the individual killings each have different actors that fit the physical descriptions the victims gave to police. Throw in a brilliant cast, haunting soundtrack, cinematography and overall story and Zodiac is a classic. Nobody else can capture that atmosphere, the tense grip that the killings placed on the San Francisco area like David Fincher. One of my favorite films of all time, up there with Good Will Hunting and Casablanca and The Dark Knight.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    I've been keen to watch Zodiac from some time and with your comments now I'm more than interested.
    0013 wrote:
    I've been keen to watch Zodiac from some time and with your comments now I'm more than interested.

You have never seen it? If not, go into it blind. It really feels like a long journey (the film takes place over a couple of decades), and leaves you both cinematically satisfied and fascinated with the case. It has always been my favorite criminal case since I was little and the first time I saw it I fell in love. The film captures the fear of San Francisco, the brutality of the killings and the haunting atmosphere strangling the area for years on end perfectly. Like I said, Fincher is a genius. If you end up seeing it, please share your thoughts. :)
    In fairness @sharklake I've only seen Zodiac once whereas I've seen both Se7en and Lambs several times. Probably should give Zodiac a re-watch.
    Went to the cinema saturday night to watch the Hobbit! The time flew by for us, thoroughly enjoyed the film and really looking forward to seeing part 2! :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Howard The Duck

howard_the_duck_movie_image_leah_thompson__1_.jpg

Again with the duck? /:)

I know! But Lea Thompson is sooo cute in this 80s guilty pleasure film of mine and Barry's score is per-fect!
  • AliAli
    I actually enjoyed Howard. Far better than the critics would have everyone believe, even if it was seriously tamed down from the comic. Certainly preferred it to Willow in Lucas's post Star Wars output. That was an incredibly flat, boring, paceless movie.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Ali

Oh Willow... :P True, I kind of like Howard because it's so subversive. Little me failed to spot that back in the day but I know a lot better now. ;-)
    Shardlake wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Se7en is from the same perspective for most of the film. More about the police than the killer. Zodiac is a serial killer film for sure, and the genre at its best. So clever.

We barely see the killer, amping up the paranoia. All the suspects muddle our minds and make us unsure what to believe. All the shots depicting the individual killings each have different actors that fit the physical descriptions the victims gave to police. Throw in a brilliant cast, haunting soundtrack, cinematography and overall story and Zodiac is a classic. Nobody else can capture that atmosphere, the tense grip that the killings placed on the San Francisco area like David Fincher. One of my favorite films of all time, up there with Good Will Hunting and Casablanca and The Dark Knight.

Zodiac was marketed as such a film and allot of people came out of it wanting the same thing as Se7en and came away being very disappointed hence the flop the film was.

Fincher himself had no intention in making another such film and likened the film to All The Presidents Men, the film is mostly from an investigative point of view and at some rare moments it employs thriller devices but for the most part this quite allot of people talking and if you aren't thrilled by the likes of Presidents Men you might be in for a shock if your wanting something traditionally a thriller.

Yes it is about one of the most notorious Serial Killers of all time but fact to refer to this film as a serial killer film serves in a great disservice and gives some the wrong idea of what they are actually going to watch. Quite a few people have described this as boring and felt duped into watching a film that was more traditional due to the Fincher So I would argue that just because you like Se7en and SOTL you won't necessarily embrace Zodiac.
    I never thought it was boring when I watched it. In fact I rather enjoyed it and, as I was studying journalism at the time, found it interesting.

I suppose like Se7en it focuses less on the killer and more on those 'investigating' and also the killer pretty much gets away with his crimes - but that's where the similarities end.

I think Se7en and Lambs are probably more "re-watchable" due to their relatively straight forward "cat and mouse" narrative - maybe that's why I remember them more?

As I said, need to give it a re-watch.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Zero dark thirty.

Good movie.
    Glengary glenross, not many ensemble movies get better than this.
    Zodiac is definitely up there with Se7en and Lambs in the ranks of films that master extremely biting tension.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I never thought it was boring when I watched it. In fact I rather enjoyed it and, as I was studying journalism at the time, found it interesting.

I suppose like Se7en it focuses less on the killer and more on those 'investigating' and also the killer pretty much gets away with his crimes - but that's where the similarities end.

I think Se7en and Lambs are probably more "re-watchable" due to their relatively straight forward "cat and mouse" narrative - maybe that's why I remember them more?

As I said, need to give it a re-watch.

Zodiac is a film I watch only once in a while, and for two reasons:

1.) It is one of my all time favorites, so I make it a special occasion when I see it or any of my favorite films and do so rarely.

2.) The film is filled with such intensity, and is so very packed with it, factual accounts, a long timeline of events that spans decades, and so many twists and turns that mirror the real life efforts of the police that when the credits roll you feel drained, much like Robert is throughout the ordeal.

Damn, just talking about it makes me want to see it all over again, and I am on campus now. I blame you guys! :P
    I agree you can't watch it regularly but like yourself it is one of my all time favourite films and for me Fincher's best, he'll strive to top it in my view, especially now he seems to be moving towards a more blockbuster arena of film making.

The direction, the acting, the script, the cinematography are all exemplary, Fincher expects the best and it's up there on the screen, not forgetting David Shire's terrific score another Presidents Men connection.

Although House Of Cards looks like he's definitely continuing to be a innovative film maker, directing the first 2 episodes of the 13 parter, I'm just such an admirer of his work and don't think he's really dropped the ball to spectacularly he made GWTDT better than the source material and topped the Swedish version, I do hope he gets to do the other two although I feel we are getting further from this happening, Fincher and Craig again, pity Americans can't direct Bond, a Fincher Bond film now that would pretty incredible.
    I love GWTDT. A worthy adaption of a fantastic novel. All the Fincher boxes are checked:

Great mystery: CHECK
    Jaw dropping atmosphere: CHECKITY-CHECK
    Suspects to the till: CHECK
    Haunting plot: CHECK
    Gorgeous cinematography: CHECKITY-CHECK

Every time I see it the frigid cold of the setting comes through the screen and gives me a chill. Another Fincher masterpiece.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Just come across Se7en on Sky Modern Greats. It made me switch over from Diamonds are Forever (a film must be good if I choose to watch that over a Bond flick). Personally I don't see why a good American director can't make a Bond film - If the producer can be an American then why not the director? Not all American film-makers are Michael Bay. 
    My Fincher Ranking

1. Zodiac 5/5
    2 Se7en 5/5
    3. Social Network 5/5
    4. Fight Club 5/5
    5. GWTDT 5/5
    6. The Game 4/5
    7. Alien 3 4/5
    8. TCCOBB 3/5
    9. Panic Room 3/5
  • I think Finchers best is Fight Club (closely followed by se7en) and his worst is Alien 3. I haven't seen all his films though.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just come across Se7en on Sky Modern Greats. It made me switch over from Diamonds are Forever (a film must be good if I choose to watch that over a Bond flick).

It says more about that stinker of a Bond flick than anything else! ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just come across Se7en on Sky Modern Greats. It made me switch over from Diamonds are Forever (a film must be good if I choose to watch that over a Bond flick).
    It says more about that stinker of a Bond flick than anything else!  ;)
    I actually don't mind the first bit of that film. Its a bit too "jovial" for my liking but it does have character. Once they head out into the desert though the film looses any momentum it had.