Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Stallone can act. Watch Rocky.

Expendables was a pretty average film I thought. Good for a bit of nostalgia but other than that not great, took itself way too seriously and it wasn't really well directed.

The 2nd one is much more fun, has better diected action scenes and ends up as a much better film.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Zero Dark Thirty.

Great directing, acting, cinematography and music.

But...

The second act is horrendously boring, dull, poorly plotted and very trying on ones patience.

7/10
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Moneyball

It's a good film though I think it deserves only one view (for me, that is). I was interested in the statistical methods, but for obvious reasons is not the main feature of the film... I mean, they didn't went into details.
    Stallone can act. Watch Rocky.

Expendables was a pretty average film I thought. Good for a bit of nostalgia but other than that not great, took itself way too seriously and it wasn't really well directed.

The 2nd one is much more fun, has better diected action scenes and ends up as a much better film.

And even more, Rocky Balboa, his best performance in my opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Stallone can act. Watch Rocky.

Good to hear. I think I will check out #2 then. Thanks, @thelivingroyale.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    American Mary (2012)

american_Mary_tease_t614.jpg?a3ca5463f16dc11451266bb717d38a6025dcea0e

From Jen & Sylvia Soska (aka The Twisted Twins) comes this beautiful, dark and shocking body mod psychological horror.

Mary Mason (Katharine Isabelle) is a medical student struugling to pay her bills. She takes on a job as a dancer at a club, but end up performing a little off the books surgery for the clubs owner.
    Following a sexual assault by one of the instructers at Mary's college, she decides to give in and plunge herself in this new culture, becoming the go to person for anyone wanting a little work done that normal plastic surgery just won't cover, and maybe get some revenge too.

American Mary was one of the most talked about films of last years Frightfest, and I can see why. Definitely one of my favourite Horror films of this decade, so far.
    Dredd - This movie was better than i expected, will be a definite purchase.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Sessions'

Fantastic film. Great work by John Hawkes and all of the supporting actors - Hunt, H. Macy, and it was nice seeing a bunch of 'Deadwood' actors working together again. Wonderful, touching film.

'Seven Psychopaths'

I didn't get to finish the last twenty minutes of this film, but wow, was this a surprise. It already looked pretty entertaining, but it's hilarious, filled with some wonderful dialogue and characters throughout. I love what I've seen so far.

'Silent Night' (2012)

Another surprise film. I thought it would be another generic direct-to-DVD reboot, but McDowell and King make a fun little pairing, and it offered some pretty fun kills and nods to the original 'Silent Night.' Cool twist at the end, too. If you're a horror fan and enjoyed the original, I would suggest this to you: it's not as psychological as the one from the 80's, but it's a good way to spend 90 or so minutes of your time.
  • I thought the first SNDN film was average and the 2nd was pretty crap. I haven't seen any of the others.
    I thought the first SNDN film was average and the 2nd was pretty crap. I haven't seen any of the others.

You really aren't missing out, then.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Last Stand. Cheesey and violent but a bit of a guilty pleasure I must admit.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    0013 wrote:
    The Dark Knight Rises... again. It's great to have it on DVD!
    Someone who appreciates good taste! My last viewed were
    X-Men (2000) - 8/10
    The sequel is better, but you can still watch this one for a good way to kick back for 2 hours.
    Jaws (1975) 10/10
    Probably the millionth time I've seen it. Still a classic.
    Ghostbusters (1984) 10/10
    Who doesn't like this film? If you don't please say. One of, if not the best film not to be included on IMDb's Top 250
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    The Dark Knight Rises

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

A beautiful and emotionally satisfying conclusion to a masterpiece trilogy. Thank you for everything, Mr. Nolan! :((

This is my happy day :D even if i am ill
    Recording "The Hurt Locker" tonight. Looking forward to watching this within the next day or so!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Recording "The Hurt Locker" tonight. Looking forward to watching this within the next day or so!

I have been meaning to see that flick. Please let us know your thoughts.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I have been meaning to see that flick. Please let us know your thoughts.

Will do! No probs.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Zombie Honeymoon

Zombie_Honeymoon_2004.jpg

This isn't a George Romero kind of zombie film, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Romero is dead, so to speak ;-), and made that point very clear with his last flick, Survival Of The Dead, a film which puts his masterpieces Night Of The Living Dead ('68) and Dawn Of The Dead ('78) to shame. Instead, we see new creative brains try with full force to produce interesting and surprisingly intelligent zombie indies on a shoestring budget.

Zombie Honeymoon may very well be one of the more successful of these recent attempts. Besides its catchy title, it has above all a lovely little script full of comedic and original twists. One mustn't expect the best of the best, but there's potential. In a way, this is a mirror reflection of Night Of The Living Dead. Instead of the traditional family breaking down under the pressure of a sudden, unexplainable zombie outbreak, we see the strength of the family withhold its demise as long a possible.

The two lead actors give interesting performances, making up for whatever false notes one might, if looking hard for them, still spot in Zombie Honeymoon. But overall the film manages to keep us focused on the screen and afterwards contemplate some of its surprising creative choices.

Recommended for those who enjoy experimental film making with an edge...
    I saw 'The Switch' - had it's moments; nothing terrible, nothing grand, all predictable - last night, and I was also fortunate enough to see 'V/H/S': blew me away at how tremendous, scary, and nervewracking it was. All of the directors put a very great spin on all of the films, and it was wonderful trying to pick out what was going to happen before the real twist of it began. I'm really getting into trying to come up with theories on the whole film, and am also looking forward to checking out the sequel.
    Wanted - 7/10 - This McAvoy - Angelina Jolie flic is still a guilty pleasure as you can easily put you braincells to rest while the sometimes awesome visuals and physical impossibilities happen on the screen.

Burlesque - 7/10 - Christina Aguilera is hot and can sing with Cher, she used to be hot, in a simple tale of music and the love for Burlesque dancing. What is not to like. But the big music and show numbers lift this movie easily up from any mediocrity.

Expendables 2 - 8/10 - Simply an over the top actioner with the stars of the eighties actioners, they seem to enjoy themselves and they lift that mood over on the casual viewer. I can now easily admit that after two movies Dolph Lundgren easily steals the show for me.
  • The Last Stand Not really the return to the Governators 80s roots I wanted, this film can't compare with the first two Terminators, Commando, Predator, etc.

But it's a cheesey bit of fun with some cool action scenes and it's hard not to be happy that Arnie is back to doing what he does best.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Wasn't The Last Stand titled as The Sheriff at one point, or am I just confusing it with a line from the trailers where Arnold says something like "I'm the Sheriff" when asked who he is.
    Cowboy Bebop: Knocking On Heaven's Door

cowboybebop.jpg?w=590

Though I haven't yet fully decided which is to be called my favourite anime series ever, and probably never will, Cowboy Bebop certainly remains a forceful contender. All of its elements, including drawings, voicing (the original Japanese voicing - of course), music, story writings,... are absolutely magnificent. The one feature length film the series has produced, Knocking On Heaven's Door, effectively demonstrates the series' high quality.

Set on a futuristic Mars, bounty hunter Spike and his partners find themselves up against former space soldier Vincent, whose inner torments run deep enough to conspire against every single human soul. A one-man biological war is about to ensue, and Spike & co must do what they can to bring the threat down on its knees.

Animated action never felt so exciting, kinetic and mesmerizing. This is a film written for adults, to be enjoyed by everyone, not just by anime fans. The anime series, Cowboy Bebop, is recommended viewing, however, for those willing to fully grasp the setting of this film. It isn't mandatory though, although I can only say that both film and series are quite simply amazing!
    I watched 'Death Race 2' and 'Death Race 3: Inferno' on Netflix tonight, and it was a pretty entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. Really entertaining chase sequences, and the acting wasn't all that terrible, given the direct-to-DVD expectations. I love the little twists throughout, as well.
    @Creasy47, is the protagonist in those two films the same from #1 (Jason Statham plays him)? Or is it a new protagonist every film?
    Luke Goss plays the new protagonist in both of these films, but the latter two films kind of tie everything together, in a way. It's very unique, you'd have to watch them both so I wouldn't spoil anything. I quite like what they did with it all.

Alec Trevelyan is in the second one, as well. But, it's Sean Bean, so, you kind of know what happens to that chap.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Luke Goss plays the new protagonist in both of these films, but the latter two films kind of tie everything together, in a way. It's very unique, you'd have to watch them both so I wouldn't spoil anything. I quite like what they did with it all.

Alec Trevelyan is in the second one, as well. But, it's Sean Bean, so, you kind of know what happens to that chap.

Haha, poor Sean. I have seen comments from time to time praising certain films in his filmography by saying things like: "Time to celebrate: Sean Bean's character doesn't die in this film!!!" :))
    Special Forces - think 'Tears Of The Sun' in Afghanistan with French blokes. Actually not bad, better than the reviews suggested and worth a watch.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Descendents 2012

A well acted drama on all parts and Clooney delivers one of his finest performances, I still prefer Sideways but a more then competent follow up. One thing I am sure though is that the 2012 Best actor Oscar winner is going to go down as one of those really they gave it to that guy, the one who didn't even talk looked smug over Clooney and more importantly Gary Oldman for TTSS. Quite a few critics have remarked on Day Lewis completely immersing himself in the character of Lincoln and it's a quality rarely seen, well Gary did the same you can barely see Oldman in his interpretation of George Smiley, it is astonishing.

The Artist is the biggest load over deserving sentimental tosh in a long time.
    I see this future critics looking at Tinker and The Artist the way they do now Dances With Wolves, (a good film but nowhere the level of GF) did that really win over Goodfella's?

4/5

Django Unchained

Very enjoyable, incredibly violent maybe QT's most violent to date. Waltz walks away with the film with Dicaprio taking the silver, Foxx makes an effective title character and the script zings with the usual Tarantino quality. One sequence which has more than a bit of Blazing Saddles about it, is likely to go down as one of the funniest of 2013 (in the UK). Richardson's cinematography gives the whole thing a Leone quality.

The usual soundtrack genius is applied, the use of Hip Hop doesn't jar and feels no more welcome than the genre samples he employs. He also has a new composed piece by Ennio Morricone, a first I believe for a QT film

He comes close to topping both the opening sequence and the Tavern sequence of Basterd's he really is a master in building suspense, from the moment they arrive at Candie's Plantation he starts to build the tension to almost unbearable levels but said falls short of his previous film which I personally found a better film all round.

Unfortunately one thing does jar, having held back from Hitchcock like cameo's since Death Proof QT can't help but appear displaying his usual talent for acting with a character who can't make his mind up what nationality he is, the man makes Arnie look like a thesp in comparison, no mean feat.

4/5

My QT Ranking

1. Jackie Brown 5/5
    2. Inglourious Basterds 5/5
    3. Reservoir Dogs 5/5
    4. Pulp Fiction 4.5/5
    5. Kill Bill Part 1 4/5
    6. Django Unchained 4/5
    7. Kill Bill Part 2 3.5/5
    8. Death Proof 1.5/5
    Saw Django Unchained last night. It was just as good as i hoped it would be. I'm looking forward to see this again.

10/10
    Mimic

245741.1010.A.jpg

Pretty decent job for Guillermo del Toro and quite an amusing film. Not the best of the creature feature genre so far, but rather entertaining still. I put it slightly above average but recommend it only to fans of bug horror. ;-)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Rewatched Se7en last night.
    What can I say that haven't been mentioned before? Well, I noticed there is John C. McGinley so I was wainting him to call Mills as Nancy and give him a long and funny rant.
    Seriously is an amazing movie from every point of view: performances, story, cinematography, music, ecc.