Your best to worst films of the year for 2012 (so far)

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Best films for the year for me would be The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall.

I haven't actually seen the film but judging by this clip it has to be a good contender for worse film of the year.

Forgive the crudity

That music that starts at 0.30 sounds familiar too ;)

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Best films (in no particular order):

Skyfall
    The Raid
    Young Adult
    Cabin In The Woods
    Bully
    Searching For Sugarman
    Into The Abyss
    The Angels Share
    Avengers

I can sense truly bad films a mile off (or at least ones I know I definitely won't enjoy) so I don't watch them but the two that had great stuff in them but were overall disappointing were TDKR and Prometheus. I'm a mad Alien fan and actually enjoyed Prometheus on first viewing but the second time I watched its flaws were almost overwhelming. For those that aren't alien fans and were still disappointed - that's how I felt about TDKR. Just really long and not enough Batman.

1.Skyfall
    2.Dark knight rises
    3.The Avengers
    4.Bourne legacy
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @BAIN123 Not a bad worst film choice. Pretty much all the papers slammed it. Even for the countless cast of B list (not even that outside of the UK) celebs it must have been the low point of their careers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not much of a list, but here it is:

1.) The Dark Knight Rises/Skyfall
    2.) Argo

3.) The Bourne Legacy
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I want to organize a Top Ten, but I just made a list of all the films I still need to see from 2012, and there's a good twenty or so on there that could be top contenders for the year. I'm slowly finding a way to watch all of them, so I'm sure I'll know in a month or so.

Some major favorites for the year: SF was my favorite for 2012, and I think 'Django Unchained' was second and 'The Dark Knight Rises' was third. But, it could all change.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I am perplexed to see The Bourne Legacy in people's best list, some highly too. It thought it was extremely dull, tedious, derivative, poorly scripted and directed nonsense.

I haven't seen much this year, but I like to think I saw the best of the year's films.

Good:
    The Avengers
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Ted
    Brave
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Hunger Games
    The Pirates Band of Misfits
    Prometheus

Poor:
    This Means War
    Dark Shadows
    The Bourne Legacy

Guilty Pleasures:
    Battleship
    The Expendables 2
    @Mallory, my thoughts exactly: it was one of the biggest upsets of the year, and I didn't enjoy myself in the slightest while watching it. Nice list, though I found myself disappointed in 'Prometheus,' sadly. Perhaps I'll give it another watch and see if my outlook on the film changes.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Also, the list should have Skyfall in it.

@Creasy47

I think it's a case of too high expectations. Try viewing the film objectively for what it is. I did, and I think is really great, even if there are some stupid plot holes and character decisions.
    Mallory wrote:
    Also, the list should have Skyfall in it.

@Creasy47

I think it's a case of too high expectations. Try viewing the film objectively for what it is. I did, and I think is really great, even if there are some stupid plot holes and character decisions.

I just might do that, especially since I now know what to expect. It could prove to be more enjoyable; it's happened in the past. I expected a lot out of 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows,' and after leaving the theater, I was really disappointed in it. When it came out on blu-ray, I went ahead and bought it because it was on sale for $8, I believe, and I was shocked at how much I liked it upon the second viewing.
    Only saw three movies this year and loved all three.

1) The Dark Knight Rises (10/10) Now that I've got the dvd and the more I watch it the more I love it. Bane is a awesome villain.
    2) Skyfall (10/10) Can't wait for the dvd to come out. Need to see it again.
    3) The Avengers (8/10) lots and lots of fun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Quite ironically, my two favorite films of the year have the words "Rise" and "Fall' in their titles, respectively.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    If I go off of expectations:

1. The Avengers (I honestly thought this would die a fiery death, much to my liking it was far better than I anticipated. Far better.)

2. The Dark Knight Rises (Excellent ending to a great trilogy, but again I let reviews lower my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised.)

3. Skyfall (It was what I expected it to be. And great, but for Bond 24 I won't be spoiler hunting. Lesson learned.)

4. Headhunters (? I'm not sure if this was 2012, but a cracking film.)

5. The Bourne Legacy (FAR better than I let myself think. Only just watched it this week, but I failed to see how it was as bad as some of the more dramatic reviews led up to be. I enjoyed it.)
    @JWESTBROOK, I'm pretty sure 'Headhunters' was released in 2012. I have it in my Netflix Queue, and since I've seen it hit someone's top films for this year, I'll have to hurry and see it.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,341
    I
  • I'll try and type a full list later, but for now, Django has to be my film of the year. Closely followed by The Raid, and then SF.

TDKR, I thought it was brilliant when I saw it at the cinema, then I thought about some stuff and realised how many plot holes there were. I got the DVD and I didn't think it was that great after all, Begins is still my favourite Batman film.

I also loved Expendables 2. I'm a big fan of the action films of pretty much everybody involved so I thought it was epic. And unlike the first film, it didn't take itself too seriously. It was a fun, brilliant action film.

My only problems with it are: Why is Liam Hemsworth even in the film? I know they wanted a young actor to play that character but surely they could've gotten somebody else, like Tony Jaa or somebody. Also I was let down when Jet Li jumped out of a plane and disappeared 10 minutes in.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    5. The Bourne Legacy (FAR better than I let myself think. Only just watched it this week, but I failed to see how it was as bad as some of the more dramatic reviews led up to be. I enjoyed it.)

That's exactly how I felt. I think some people set themselves up for a let down by thinking it'd be really good like the first 3. I went in expecting a decent spy flick with some cool action, and that's what I got. I won't be rushing out to get the DVD anytime soon but I really enjoyed it.

I thought the fights were good and I also have to give it props for having a long motorbike chase. Not enough motorbikes in films. I think they should've just recast Bourne though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Gone
    2. Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
    3. Cleanskin
    4. The Pact
    5. Bel Ami
    6. Skyfall
    7. The Hunger Games
    8. The Millionaire Tour
    9. Piranha 3DD (I like Panabaker, but this was bad)
    1. Intouchables (great French movie)
    2. The Avengers
    3. The Hobbit
    4. Prometheus
    5. The Expendables 2
    6. The Bourne Legacy
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    SaintMark wrote:
    2. The Avengers
    3. The Hobbit
    4. Prometheus
    5. The Expendables 2
    6. The Bourne Legacy

Where is Skyfall?
    MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    2. The Avengers
    3. The Hobbit
    4. Prometheus
    5. The Expendables 2
    6. The Bourne Legacy

Where is Skyfall?

I believe doing very well, having visited and buying the dvd this year I will have done my bit for EON. I am one of the people that were seriously underwhelmed by SF and will see it again on dvd perhaps my judgement will change.

JWESTBROOK wrote:

That's exactly how I felt. I think some people set themselves up for a let down by thinking it'd be really good like the first 3. I went in expecting a decent spy flick with some cool action, and that's what I got. I won't be rushing out to get the DVD anytime soon but I really enjoyed it.

I thought the fights were good and I also have to give it props for having a long motorbike chase. Not enough motorbikes in films. I think they should've just recast Bourne though.

I honestly thought the DNA alterations and stuff would be too much, but it was fun, creative, and a good plot motive behind the film. I think people didn't like it because it didn't have the impact of the Bourne's, because it's really the story of an addict needing his fix almost through the end. Not as personal as the originals, but still great.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Haven't seen much so here they are so far

1. The Dark Knight Rises (10/10: Best Batman Film)
    2. Skyfall (10/10: Best Bond)
    3. The Pirates! In an adventure with scientists! (9/10: Best Animation)
    4: Avengers Assemble (8/10: Brilliant in IMAX! Then I bought the DVD)
    5. The Bourne Legacy (2/10: A Bourne movie that sucks? Unthinkable)
    These are ranked in order. The only one I really hated was The Dictator

Skyfall
    Django Unchained
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Ted
    The Avengers
    21 Jump Street
    Lincoln
    Looper
    Les Mis
    Men in Black 3
    The Lorax
    Chronicle
    American Reunion
    The Hobbit
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Dictator

@bondbat007, nice to see someone else who absolutely loved 'Django Unchained.' I haven't seen all I want to see from 2012 so far, but your top three are the exact same order as mine so far. I don't think anything else will trump them.
  • 1. Zero Dark Thirty
    2. Silver Linings Playbook
    3. Looper
    4. Les Miserables
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Skyfall
    7. Lincoln
    8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
    9. Cloud Atlas
    1-The Avengers
    2-Lincoln
    3-Skyfall
    4-Les Misérables
    5-Hunger Games
    6-Dark Knight Rises

7-Amazing Spider-Man
    8-The Hobbit
    9-Taken 2
    10-Bourne Legacy
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 553
    I keep full rankings each year. Here is my full ranking list for films seen at the cinema in 2012...some I saw more than once:

1 Argo
    2 Skyfall
    3 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D HFR
    4 The Dark Knight Rises
    5 Looper
    6 The Artist
    7 The Avengers
    8 Lawless
    9 Prometheus
    10 To Rome With Love
    11 Dredd 3D
    12 The Cabin In The Woods
    13 The Hunger Games
    14 The Master
    15 War Horse
    16 Jack Reacher
    17 Life Of Pi 3D
    18 The Amazing Spider-Man 3D
    19 Seven Psychopaths
    20 The Muppets
    21 Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists
    22 The Descendants
    23 Ted
    24 The Campaign
    25 The Bourne Legacy
    26 Dark Shadows
    27 Brave
    28 Total Recall
    29 The Dictator
    30 Chronicle
    31 Taken 2
    32 Madagascar: Europe's Most Wanted
    33 John Carter
    34 American Pie: The Reunion
    35 Men In Black III
    36 The Watch
  • After rewatching a few of the films on my list I'd move TDKR down a bit and I'd move Ted up.
  • Best The Raid
    Worst skyfall
  • Best The Raid

Can't argue with that.
    Worst skyfall

Didn't see that many films this year eh? ;)