Haywire; awesome female-version-of-Bond movie!

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,687
Have you people SEEN this???
She's Bond as a woman, totally Flemingesque & dark. Makes Nikita look a bit 'agent-lite'.
Thoughts?

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Seen the movie. Pretty good and Gina Carano could work as a Bond girl

haywire-relativity-media08.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gina Carano could work as a Bond girl

[-O<
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Sounds good. I'll get this film and let you know what I think of it. I like the cast.
  • It was an excellent film. And she nd the would be bond are an item now.

The fight between her and assbender was excellent and there's a proper plot.
    I thought it was ok - little bit derivative of Bourne and others but nowhere near the worst cinematic experience of my life and worth a watch.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This film was average at best. It did have a great cast and yes Carrano kicking ass, especially beating the snot out of Fassbender is a joy to watch. I mentioned in my who should be a Bind girl thread that Gina should definitely be a Bond girl but with Jystice Keagye coming out in 2 years, she must be cast as wonder woman.
  • I haven't seen it myself; I was really looking forward to it but my girlfriend saw it and hated it. She's a huge fan of ass-kicking ladies and was very excited about this film, her opinion was that the lead's complete inability to act ruined it for her (and apart from that, the movie was just okay anyway). I trust her opinion so I'll maybe see it once it comes on TV but I have no opinion to make an effort to go out and rent it.

However, I did enjoy Zoe Saldana in Columbiana...
  • I think Carano was a bit like Lazenby. Not the best actress in the world but considering she'd never acted before, she did a pretty good job. I think unlike Laz, she's sticking with it (I think she's in the new Fast and Furious film), so I'm sure that soon enough her acting will get better and I think she has a promising career as an action hero.

I did love the film, great action, great all star cast who all gave good performances, and the story wasn't amazing but it was good and it kept the film going.

I wouldn't say it's a female Bond film though. I'd say more like a female Bourne (because of the whole rogue assassin angle), except without tons of shaky cam/quickfire editing.
    I wouldn't say it's a female Bond film though. I'd say more like a female Bourne (because of the whole rogue assassin angle)
    She struck me as a female Bond because of her character, not so much the circumstances of her spy life. She has that determined, emotionally detached quality, with a streak of unhappiness under the surface. Like a combo of Dalton & Craig.
    Tell me this Michael Fassbender scene not a bad action scene only one problem,
    when he knocks her to the floor,why does he help her up.if he was proffessional MI5
    why not finish her were she lay.This happened in nearly every scene Channing Tatum
    throws hot coffee into her face she survives with the help of a customer .Ewan McGregor punches her stuns her then runs away and gets his foot caught in rocks?
    To the movies credit Gina Carano looks the part the action scenes staged well other than that ?
    Check out Helen Mirren in Red, Anne Parillaud in La Femme Nikita,Sophie Marceau in Les femmes de l'ombre,Paula Patton mission impossible 4
    To me, the fight scenes were ferocious and technically near-perfect. I don't remember the beats you cite here being as off as you described them, and I saw it last night. I mean, it's possible there were mistakes like that, but I *think* I would have noticed them. I will be watching this again, and pretty soon!
    On another note, it was my first look at Fassbender, and though I liked him immensely in this movie, I don't think I'd like him as Bond.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    On another note, it was my first look at Fassbender, and though I liked him immensely in this movie, I don't think I'd like him as Bond.

That's how I feel. I've seen him in this and Inglorious Basterds and I think he's a great actor, but not Bond. He might be too old by the time Craig quits anyway.
    Mi5 agent is brought in to kill Gina Carano he opens the door lets her in then smacks her to the back of the head,she lies stunned on the floor a professional killer would finish the job. A mi5 agent would most likely be ex military(s.a.s).
    Channing Tatum american is most likely to be a seal.
    Gina Carano martial art skills are good but in some of the scenes she is overpowering
    her victims who are trained killer remember they were in the same team,who trained them would have trained her. Bruce willis played in a movie the Last boy scout he kills a man with one punch because he knows were to strike.
    best scene were she fights cops until she fall from a great height onto her back anybody else would be in wheelchair.
    renno61 wrote:
    best scene were she fights cops until she fall from a great height onto her back anybody else would be in wheelchair.
    She seemed to suffer from that fall adequately enough for me. And so what if she was trained by the same people- maybe she excels naturally at fighting, and that's why she's better than the other slobs that let their minds wander during lessons!
    :))
    Maybe in the next one? she cant fight the hulk :-))
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    This can't go here?
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3127/red-2-trailer-action-movies-thread/p9#Item_251

How far can a thread on one specific movie, or even just one character from the movie really go? That's why we have threads like the one listed.

EDIT:
    Or here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2717/what-if-james-bond-would-be-female/p1
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I liked that bit because she actually hurt herself fairly badly when she fell. She beats the crap out of tons of guys but then we have that bit showing that she's still human, not some kind of superwoman.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That movie had so much potential but other than the fight between Carano and Fassbender it really has nothing to shout home about. The editing was awful. I do like Carano though, she impressed me very much.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    How far can a thread on one specific movie, or even just one character from the movie really go? That's why we have threads like the one listed.

Sorry if it irritates you for whatever reason, but I wanted to get into a deeper discussion of what I feel is probably the best female character driven spy/action movie I have ever seen. I got a very 'Bond" feel from it as well. A few, "yeah, I liked it"s on a thread covering a hundred other movies was not my intention here. :)>-
    That movie had so much potential but other than the fight between Carano and Fassbender it really has nothing to shout home about.
    Interesting. In your opinion, what movies covered similar territory in a better fashion? La Femme Nikita did so with more style, certainly, but Haywire made my jaw drop more than once, and that rarely happens for me these days.
    Carano was good film was poor,full of Clichés.
    some of the ideas good but they made her almost superhuman.
    Seduction ,stealth and the fact that she is a women is what she would use
    getting up close to her victim,in the movie the so called killers were inept.
    i am not say a women could not be a assassin against a hetrosexual man
    she could be the perfect choice,it how she went about it.
    renno61 wrote:
    Carano was good film was poor,full of Clichés.
    some of the ideas good but they made her almost superhuman.
    Seduction
    Well, clichés work if they aren't presented in an in-your-face way- I felt Haywire made them seem sort of fresh. And superhuman? Ever seen Bourne Identity? Maybe you're just not used to seeing a girl take a few good punches... :-? :D
  • Enjoyed the film as a whole, some fairly realistic stuff, however in the fight sequences there were several occasions I think I could have taken you down. Hey Gina, come & have a go if you think your hard enough!, just kidding, respect babe, your awesome. B-)
    Enjoyed the film as a whole, some fairly realistic stuff
    I've done some of that Chinese Wrestling junk in the day, and if you're willing to get hurt to hurt your opponent 4X as much, it works well. b-(

I don't think I've ever seen a female character dish out such believable punishment, not even Michelle in TND was that impressive IMO. And I DO love Ms. Yeoh's moves.
    chrisisall wrote:
    That movie had so much potential but other than the fight between Carano and Fassbender it really has nothing to shout home about.
    Interesting. In your opinion, what movies covered similar territory in a better fashion? La Femme Nikita did so with more style, certainly, but Haywire made my jaw drop more than once, and that rarely happens for me these days.

Le Femme Nikita was undeniably superior, for me anyway. I just felt that Soderbergh's directorial style and the style of editing his films usually have doesn't fit with the action genre very well. It's quirky definitely, but its quite slow and the action isn't as exciting as it should be. The car chase halfway through the movie, for example, was devoid of any decent pacing. But Carano, on the plus side, was extremely good at the physical stuff, and I genuinely believe she could kick the crap out of trained assassins, unlike other female action stars.
    I just felt that Soderbergh's directorial style and the style of editing his films usually have doesn't fit with the action genre very well. It's quirky definitely, but its quite slow
    Okay- I know what you mean there, but I totally LOVE being slowed up in the moment, being able to drink in the prep for the next thing.... the fight scenes were edited that way on purpose, and if you've ever been in a fight, THAT'S how it feels (in flashes), like a second takes SOOOO long. Or, that's how it was for ME...
    :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    I just felt that Soderbergh's directorial style and the style of editing his films usually have doesn't fit with the action genre very well. It's quirky definitely, but its quite slow
    Okay- I know what you mean there, but I totally LOVE being slowed up in the moment, being able to drink in the prep for the next thing.... the fight scenes were edited that way on purpose, and if you've ever been in a fight, THAT'S how it feels (in flashes), like a second takes SOOOO long. Or, that's how it was for ME...
    :)>-

Well the fistfights were actually pretty well done, it was just the other scenes and the film in general that I found slow. I know what you mean about the fighting alright.
    I know what you mean about the fighting alright.
    You've BEEN there!
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    I know what you mean about the fighting alright.
    You've BEEN there!
    ;)

And back ;)
    And back ;)

That's a good thing.

Y'know, as slow as Haywire was in places, I was just realizing how 'warp speed' QOS was, and how I enjoy retro cinematic storytelling.
    BUT, I still like QOS a lot.
    chrisisall wrote:
    And back ;)

That's a good thing.

Y'know, as slow as Haywire was in places, I was just realizing how 'warp speed' QOS was, and how I enjoy retro cinematic storytelling.
    BUT, I still like QOS a lot.

Yeah it is a good thing, I worked as a bartender in a busy part of the Dublin city so trouble was never too far away.

It's refreshing sometimes. I don't hate QOS either, it's got some nice moments.