The most average Bond film

13»

Comments

Absolutely. We love all the Bond films (well not DAD) so to say its bottom of the list doesn't means a 'bad' film just a bad Bond film.

Well, some of them were bad films too. DAD was a bad film, Bond or not. But on the Bond scale, if we are looking for the average Bond film, I would say TND or TWINE. Maybe Brosnan was the most average Bond actor, come to think of it?
  • Goldfinger isn't average - it's abysmal

Connery just sits around for two hours looking bored - as is the viewer

I take umbrage from anyone who thinks Live and Let Die is an average movie, or maybe just damn surprised. I can't take my eyes of it myself

The best examples of average Bond releases for me would include,

You Only Live Twice

The Spy Who Loved Me

Octopussy

License to Kill

Goldeneye
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We love all the Bond films (well not DAD) so to say its bottom of the list doesn't means a 'bad' film just a bad Bond film.
    And bad Bond is like bad pizza; it's still pizza.
    :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Absolutely. We love all the Bond films (well not DAD) so to say its bottom of the list doesn't means a 'bad' film just a bad Bond film.

Interesting point. If anything DAD deserves recognition for being a model of what not to do. A lesson EON learned quite well, I am proud to say.

Now, for all those that have the immaculate QoS near the bottom: If you don't think of it as a Bond film how does it stack up? Good, average, still bad? Just curious. I pose this question because I would like the Moore films better if they were simply campy spy romps and not supposed to be Bond films.
    Now, for all those that have the immaculate QoS near the bottom: If you don't think of it as a Bond film how does it stack up?
    It rocked, and those that think otherwise can kiss my freckled butt.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Now, for all those that have the immaculate QoS near the bottom: If you don't think of it as a Bond film how does it stack up?

I do agree with the both of you, I enjoy Quantum of Solace! On first viewing, I will admit, I was rather disappointed by how short it was and how quickly it moved through the plot with barely any substance to cling to. However, on later viewings, I found it to be a lot better!
    00Beast wrote:
    However, on later viewings, I found it to be a lot better!
    I was the same! It's really a great movie after all.
    chrisisall wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Quite so! The action lends a great deal to its goodness! We get at least three very intense hand-to-hand combat fights (Mitchell, Slate, and Greene), three vehicle chases (the PTS DBS chase, boat chase in Haiti, and the plane chase in Bolivia), and two pretty slick shoot-out! (the opera house gunfight between Bond and Greene's men, and the Perla de las Dunas hotel gunfight)
    00Beast wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I do agree with the both of you, I enjoy Quantum of Solace! On first viewing, I will admit, I was rather disappointed by how short it was and how quickly it moved through the plot with barely any substance to cling to. However, on later viewings, I found it to be a lot better!

Same thing here, it grew on me. I think QOS is above average, but to some extend atypical.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Goldfinger isn't average - it's abysmal
    I appreciate that not everyone is a huge fan of GF and some consider it vastly overrated - but to call it "abysmal" is insane. I don't think Connery looks bored at all in it. If anything he could be criticised for being too "laid back" and casual (I for one think its his best performance as Bond). Having watched a bit of AVTAK last night that's - at best - a "ho-hum" movie. I'd probably even say its below average - despite some good scenes and a great score by JB. It just feels very "sleepy" and I never realised how dodgy it is watching Rog (at his least convincing - he looks more like the cool but slightly over-the-hill uncle than Bond) bed George Best's once girlfriend until now.  
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Quite so! The action lends a great deal to its goodness! We get at least three very intense hand-to-hand combat fights (Mitchell, Slate, and Greene), three vehicle chases (the PTS DBS chase, boat chase in Haiti, and the plane chase in Bolivia), and two pretty slick shoot-out! (the opera house gunfight between Bond and Greene's men, and the Perla de las Dunas hotel gunfight)

And don't forget the deeply emotional characterization and maturation of Bond as an agent and his relationship with M as well as Bond facing his innermost demons! The action isn't why I watch QoS. That kind of stuff I listed is why. It is so fully packed with such great substance and thought provoking questions that make it a thrill to watch again and again just to study why Bond does what he does and feels what he feels.

Ok, so the action is a great plus too... ;;)
  • I think FOR YOUR EYES ONLY takes the cake here.
  • That's a valid choice, as despite Moore doing very well, and being serious for once, it does drag on sometimes, particularly towards the final half hour and the Saint Cyril's ending. Sometimes you think you're watching Ben Hur or something, as the ending is never in sight. It's either that (for Moore) or Octopussy for me, and The Spy Who Loved Me of course. I always enjoy Live and Let Die and Golden Gun and Moonraker too much to class them as 'average', and View to a Kill is an unmitigated disaster, so we can't put that into this here category. I guess On Her Majestys Secret Service can be included here. Lazenby does well, it's a decent adventure, but nothing special for me, so therefore, 'an average Bond release'
    don't forget the deeply emotional characterization and maturation of Bond as an agent and his relationship with M as well as Bond facing his innermost demons!
    Yes, this!
    Man with The Golden Gun except the scenes with Sir Chris Lee in who owns the film
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I always enjoy Live and Let Die and Golden Gun and Moonraker too much to class them as 'average', and View to a Kill is an unmitigated disaster, so we can't put that into this here category. I guess On Her Majestys Secret Service can be included here. Lazenby does well, it's a decent adventure, but nothing special for me, so therefore, 'an average Bond release'

Just to get this right here - you are saying that LALD, TMWTGG and MR are all better than OHMSS?

I suppose each to his own, everyone's entitled to their opinion etc but really....!?!
    That's a valid choice, as despite Moore doing very well, and being serious for once, it does drag on sometimes, particularly towards the final half hour and the Saint Cyril's ending. Sometimes you think you're watching Ben Hur or something, as the ending is never in sight. It's either that (for Moore) or Octopussy for me, and The Spy Who Loved Me of course. I always enjoy Live and Let Die and Golden Gun and Moonraker too much to class them as 'average', and View to a Kill is an unmitigated disaster, so we can't put that into this here category. I guess On Her Majestys Secret Service can be included here. Lazenby does well, it's a decent adventure, but nothing special for me, so therefore, 'an average Bond release'

But...but...but...its based on what Fleming ACTUALLY wrote.
  • been blogging about every Bond film since receiving the Bond 50 Blu Ray set. I'm through A View to a Kill. Link to that post can be found here and all previous entries are located on the blog: http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/the-007-files-a-view-to-a-kill/
    I would say for me its a toss up between Octopussy and Die Another Day. I would have thrown in The World Is Not Enough too but that's my least favorite of all the Bond movies.
  • http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/the-007-files-tomorrow-never-dies/

Possibly TND. Nothing great, but not bad either... so average.
    TMD
    TMWTGG
    OP
    TLD

I dont hate these films by any means, but they're never my go to when I feel like watching a Bond flick.

I mostly stick with Connery, Craig or Goldeneye when I'm in a Bond mood, but...
    If I'm feeling Dalton I'll always go with LTK.
    If I want Moore, I usually choose LALD or TSWLM (my top 2 Moore films) or MR (for campy OTT Moore)
    If I get bored with GE, and want more Brozza I pick TWINE (the second Bond film I ever saw growing up) or DAD (again for OTT action reasons).
  • I'd say that Octopussy and You only live twice are the most average alongside GoldenEye
    Bond movies that are NOT 'average' IMO:
    DN (origin)
    FRWL (realistic)
    TB (mostly)
    OHMSS (class Fleming/ Tracy )
    TLD (Dalton + formula = win)
    LTK (Brutal Fleming)
    GE ("for England")
    TND (Wai Lin ROCKS)
    CR (Blow us away, why don't you?)
    QOS (never so fast & fierce)
    SF (bigger than TB- no mean feat)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,497
    The only period that feels average to me is TND-->TWINE-->DAD. This Brosnan era feels like EON was just cranking them out to keep the revenue coming in. None of these three films feel particularly inspired. I think TWINE had a potential to be a lot better, but the execution was lacklustre and confusing. The 80's from 85-89, start to feel a bit average to me with AVTAK, TLD, LTK. Don't get me wrong TLD is a top 10 Bond film--it's a great espionage thriller, while lacking the colour and pizazz of the earlier films, but as part of a period in the Bond timeline, this era feels a little dull compared to what came before.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    The only period that feels average to me is TND-->TWINE-->DAD. This Brosnan era feels like EON was just cranking them out to keep the revenue coming in. None of these three films feel particularly inspired. I think TWINE had a potential to be a lot better, but the execution was lacklustre and confusing. The 80's from 85-89, start to feel a bit average to me with AVTAK, TLD, LTK. Don't get me wrong TLD is a top 10 Bond film--it's a great espionage thriller, while lacking the colour and pizazz of the earlier films, but as part of a period in the Bond timeline, this era feels a little dull compared to what came before.

I agree with your analysis!

• Average? I'd say the ones I don't think of when I think of Bond films...
  • YOLT, LALD, LTK AND TWINE are all pretty average to me. They do have some endearing qualities but some major flaws as well.
  • There's too many of these in the series: starting from the 70's up through 2002 everything was formulaic. Now, let's not discount nicer efforts like TSWLM, LTK, GE but these films all followed the same pattern. I picked TSWLM, LTK, GE just based on my observation of fan critiques and I could somewhat agree but nevertheless, I like disruptions in the formula: OHMSS, CR, QOS, and SF.