Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

That was on ok film. There are 11 films i'd rate higher, that's out of the 24 films i've seen staring Mitchum, so far. As for Monroe, i've never got the fascination surrounding her.

I just know a lot about her and can't believe she overcame so many detrimental challenges in her young lifetime. Besides that, she just lights up the screen for me and makes me smile no matter what. Rest assured, when I am feeling down I pop in a Marilyn film and my spirits are instantly lifted.

I was going to ask you, @MajorDSmythe, I find the part of the film where
    Mitchum's character (Matt) grabs Marilyn (Kay) and ravages her to be completely out of place with the rest of the film and it doesn't fit with who Matt is as a character.
    Did you feel taken out of it with that scene?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Detective (1968)

the_Detective2.jpg

Powerful film, starring Sinatra as a cynical cop struggling to find moral balance in his life, opening up debates on homosexuality, justice and much more. This film is brutal and at times very controversial. I recommend it for its style and audacity. We were still a few years away from Dirty Harry and this was actually one of the first R rated films ever.

Oh, and it stars my favourite hottie of the time: Jacqueline Bisset. ;-)

detecasm.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Frank in a cop movie? Must see for me! I have wanted to watch The Detective for eons now.
  • For those of you not still listening to Now Playing, they are covering the Die Hard series. the first in the series is The Detective. Give them a listen to find out why.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    Last movie I watched was an amazing documentary debunking the ridiculous 9/11 government cover-up story fed to us . Here's a link to the documentary, its up to you to watch it, if you would rather stay in a trance of lies and government deception , thats fine.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Frank in a cop movie? Must see for me! I have wanted to watch The Detective for eons now.

Expect nuances, contradictions and bitterness. This film belongs in the 70s but proved ahead of its time. I'm a fan!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @0Brady - Yeah, I found that quite surprising. Given how Matt was portrayed, it felt very out of character.

@Dimi - The Detective is one of my favourite Sinatra films. If you liked The Detective, then I suggest you try and find a copy of Sinatra's The First Dealy Sin (1980), which turned out to be his last leading role. You could say he's playing the Joe Leland character, albeit 13 years older, in The First Deadly Sin.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Argo'

I now see why everyone is up in arms about Affleck getting snubbed for Best Director. What a tremendous film that will most certainly sit on my Top Ten for 2012. Great direction, acting, and nerve-wracking suspense all around, leading up to an incredibly intense finale. Affleck delivers again, both on and off screen.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    Data_Thief wrote:
    Last movie I watched was an amazing documentary debunking the ridiculous 9/11 government cover-up story fed to us . Here's a link to the documentary, its up to you to watch it, if you would rather stay in a trance of lies and government deception , thats fine.

Meanwhile, while we are all being brainwashed by the likes of global media and politicians, why don't you keep on getting brainwashed by the likes of Alex Jones and the yarns he spins.

Either way, we'll all be brainwashed...... ;)
    Just ignore the patz.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'm happy believing the lies of the government. I don't mind that the authorities are tricking me. Most of the time in life you can only rely on yourself anyway and living in ignorance is easier.

You take away my Bond THAT is when I get angry ;)
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    edited January 2013 Posts: 81
    Lockout (Or ESCAPE FROM SPACE PRISON/NEW YORK) with Guy Pearce. He was good, but it bored me. I feel bad for Pearce cause he's a great actor, always watchable, he just stars in some less than stellar movies and doesn't quite break into the A-list. Never bad movies, per say, just un-realized.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I've watched a few over the last couple of days.

Doctor Who The Movie The 8th Doctor was alright, the TARDIS was amazing, but it's too American. I didn't like the 7th doctors death (doesn't die battling aliens or saving the world or even a companion, he just lands in the middle of a gang war, gets shot and the hospital give him human blood). Oh, and The Master was just terrible.

Goal 3 I wondered why this wasn't in the cinema like the first two and now I know. It's worse than the 2nd one and has almost nothing to do with the other films. Wierd way to end what's meant to be a trilogy, a crap straight to DVD sequel that has almost nothing to do with the others.

Zero Dark Thirty It's a good thriller, but not her best film. I think it's sad in a way how Bigelow, like her ex (Cameron), has moved away from action movies and is now focusing on these award type films. It's hard to believe that this was directed by the same person who made Point Break.
  • Con Air It was on TV, I haven't seen it for years so I thought why not? Stupid but fun. Overall one of Cage's better films.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Taken 2 7.5/10

Much like the Bourne Legacy I like this movie more the second time around, probably because I knew what was going to happen. I hope the third will be better though.

Lockout 8/10

Loved this movie when I saw it in theaters and love it just the same when I watched it on netflicks. The humor in it is probably the best part.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Django Unchained It had premiere this Friday in Sweden. And even though it isn't as good as Inglourious or Pulp Fiction it is still a great film and Tarantino has once again proved that he is a great and innovative director!

Now i have to catch up with the Sherlock series, Mad Men and read some Le Carré. " Luckily " i have the flu and therefore got time.
    Man Hunt (1941 film) Walter Pidgeon directed by Fritz Lang
  • Django Unchained on Saturday. 20 minutes too long - literally the last 20 minutes, rather than any specific cuts needed elsewhere. Terrible cameo from Tarantino that sealed it as weaker for me than Inglourious Basterds - which was my favourite film of that year. Up until then, however, great action, great dialogue and really funny in places - despite treating the subject matter respectfully in my opinion.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    The Dark Knight Rises

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

A beautiful and emotionally satisfying conclusion to a masterpiece trilogy. Thank you for everything, Mr. Nolan! :((
    The Raid (2011)
    Action packed superbly made film. 9/10
    Star trek IV The voyage home, light hearted and fun trek with some serious themes. Good addition to the series of movies. I watched it whilst listening to the commentary by Shatner and Nimoy.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Star trek IV The voyage home
    Best ending to a ST film ever!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Star trek IV The voyage home, light hearted and fun trek with some serious themes. Good addition to the series of movies. I watched it whilst listening to the commentary by Shatner and Nimoy.

The fourth is my second favorite out of the ones I've seen. I've only seen the first, second, half of the third, the fourth, and the reboot movie.

1. Star Trek (2009)
    2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    4. Star Trek The Motion Picture
    5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    The Saint...and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it's sequels and remake + prequel.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Star trek IV The voyage home
    Best ending to a ST film ever!

Its pretty faultless the end of voyage home and uplifting. Little did we realise the horror that was to come with final frontier ;-)

@QsAssistant would have to be my fourth favourite movie behind 1, 2, 6. Think the reboot is good though see it separate to the previous films.
  • Shallow Grave One of my favourite films. Not sure if this or Trainspotting is Boyles best.

Everybody is brilliant but the best performance is definetly Christopher Eccleston. Please somebody cast him as a Bond villian. One of the most underrated films I've ever seen.

10/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Little did we realise the horror that was to come with final frontier ;-)
    After Nemesis, I realized Final Frontier wasn't so terrible after all...
    :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Little did we realise the horror that was to come with final frontier ;-)
    After Nemesis, I realized Final Frontier wasn't so terrible after all...
    :))

Can't argue with you there, Final frontier is has more original ideas and not a rip off :-)

Final Frontiers problems were not so much the ideas, but the execution. Would have been interesting if Connery had played Cybock, Connery and Shatner verbal jousting would have been awesome. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've just watched Taken 2 for the first time. I think I find it so good because it's so bad.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    The Expendables

I decided to give it a go, and thankfully didn't expect much. The overall film is going to be forgettable. The writing was hilariously bad (some moments I was eye-rolling so much it hurt). The action was okay, but the editing was so quick, the shots so darkly lit, and the panning so fast that you miss a lot that is being showcased. There are pointless two second cameos just so that the film can say "Bruce Willis and Arnold are in this, come see it", and they add nothing to the movie besides their minute of fame. Arnold just walks in, says: "I don't want the job", and walks out. Really? A phone call wouldn't have sufficed?! The film makes an effort to flesh out these characters, but it all seems to fall flat. Some end up almost killing each other and then are best buddies in a second anyway. Overall, it was okay, but what I expected: Just a bunch of action with an iffy story. I may give #2 a watch just to see if it gets better, but after watching classics a lot of the time, this thing painfully sticks out like a sore thumb. This film is what happens when the majority of your cast aren't practicing or trained actors.