What is your favorite television sitcom ?

Comments

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I don't think you understand what a sitcom is.

I Do. and i never said that sitcoms need to have laugh tracks or not, it was just an argument and suppositions.
  • Well, since you took a sitcom and called it a "not-sitcom", I just assumed you were confused.
    Community
    Scrubs
    Frasier
    Friends
    Big Bang Theroy
    Everyone loves Raymond
    Red Dwarf aswell Series 1-6 and Series X instead of VII, VIII and BTE
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Shardlake wrote:
    UK telly might not be as consistent as it could be but some of the U.S series should know when to quit.

Definetly. I think it's good when shows go out on a high instead of outstaying their welcome and getting unfunny. EG- Fawlty Towers, The Inbetweeners, Gavin and Stacey (not brilliant but it was funny), etc.

I love Only Fools but I'll happily admit that went on miles too long and got a bit crap towards the end. Should've just ended it with them being millionaires, and even by that point it was going downhill.

The last few Royle Familys haven't been great either. Is that the new Only Fools? A couple of great series, then specials which gradually go downhill? Although to be fair I haven't seen this years xmas special yet so maybe they'll suprise me.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Raising Hope, currently. But I also loved Arrested Development, the original British Office, Black Books, My Name Is Earl, Extras, Life's Too Short, Freaks and Geeks. Do animated shows count? Futurama, if so.
  • Shardlake wrote:
    UK telly might not be as consistent as it could be but some of the U.S series should know when to quit.

Definetly. I think it's good when shows go out on a high instead of outstaying their welcome and getting unfunny. EG- Fawlty Towers, The Inbetweeners, Gavin and Stacey (not brilliant but it was funny), etc.

Have to admit I'm afraid this might be what happens to my beloved FRIENDS.

I bought the BluRay box this year, having seen a few episodes on TV, and watched some of the 'best of' episodes on DVD, and have been enjoying it immensely so far (I'm at season 3 now). However, I saw some season 10 episodes on TV a few days ago, and really didn't think they where funny....

• Married with kids...Frasier....curb your enthusiasm...family guy...stop or my anus will talk.

Anything but fresh prince of bellend air...dim witted, cliched and bordering on being racist.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister
    The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin
    Rising Damp
    Red Dwarf
    The Inbetweeners
    George & Mildred
  • Does Family Guy count? I suppose it does thinking about it, I just didn't include it before because it's a cartoon.
    Anything but fresh prince of bellend air...dim witted, cliched and bordering on being racist.

Agreed. I saw about 2 episodes and I thought it was terrible. Stereotypical, unfunny crap.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    stop or my anus will talk.

I don't seem to have heard of this one...
  • Heil Honey I'm Home!

NO.

In reality, Seinfeld will always be my number one. Number two, Frasier.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Married with kids...Frasier....curb your enthusiasm...family guy...stop or my anus will talk.

Somebody must have skimmed over all the meaningful messages and powerful speeches that were ever present in the series, and some of the best moments in television history.

Oh, but Family Guy, yeah that's a real winner. I couldn't count how many lessons it has taught me. Oh wait...
    8-|
    Does Family Guy count? I suppose it does thinking about it, I just didn't include it before because it's a cartoon.

Agreed. I saw about 2 episodes and I thought it was terrible. Stereotypical, unfunny crap.

2 episodes? Wow, plenty of time to really examine it, huh? :|
    The Big Bang Theory - never seen a bad episode :-).

Rules Of Engagement is worth a watch too
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2013 Posts: 4,043
    Shardlake wrote:
    Fawlty Towers, 2 series of utter gold, too many series go on for too long, UK telly might not be as consistent as it could be but some of the U.S series should know when to quit.

Finally someone who knows what he's talking about. I'm keeping out of this thread it's bad for my blood pressure.

I'm afraid age or nationality might be a factor the only excuse I have for people suggesting 2 and Half Men etc.

Even in the UK I don't get this recent obsession with Mrs Browns Boys, my Wife likes it and it can raise the occasional smile on my face but for the most part I'm slapping my forehead in disbelief.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Shardlake wrote:
    Fawlty Towers, 2 series of utter gold, too many series go on for too long, UK telly might not be as consistent as it could be but some of the U.S series should know when to quit.

Finally someone who knows what he's talking about. I'm keeping out of this thread it's bad for my blood pressure.

I LOVE Fawlty Towers. Favourite TV sitcom of all time bar none. Like Bond I know it so well I can recite a lot of the dialogue off the top of my head.

However honorable mentions go to One Foot in the Grave, Some Mothers do 'Ave 'Em (Desmond Llewelyn had a brief appearance in one episode), Friends (yes I admit I like it but some seasons are better than others), The Inbetweeners (UK) and The Worst Week of my Life (a rather underrated modern BBC sitcom with Ben Miller and Alison Stedman).
    ALLO ALLO classic BBC1 series in the 80's set in world war 2 France
    Inbetweeners - rumours it is coming back or at least another feature film
    Only fools and horses - Batman and robin and the blow up dolls are classics
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Only Fools And Horses
    The Office (UK version)
    Blackadder
    Seinfeld
    Community
    30 Rock

I never ever grow tired of Seinfeld, it never gets boring. Possibly the greatest sitcom of all time. So many great moments and classic lines.
    Community is filling the void that Seinfeld left for me, looking forward to its return.
    As for British comedy, Delboy and Rodney are a hard act to follow, but David Brent certainly equals them for laughs.
    Do you even have to ask? Obviously Seinfeld.
    My favorite sitcom that it's currently on air is 30 Rock.
    Does Wilfred ( original Australian version) count as a sitcom? I also like that show.
    I can't stand How I Met your Mother. It was funny for the first three seasons, but now it's too repetitive.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

I'm afraid age or nationality might be a factor the only excuse I have for people suggesting 2 and Half Men etc.

Even in the UK I don't get this recent obsession with Mrs Browns Boys, my Wife likes it and it can raise the occasional smile on my face but for the most part I'm slapping my forehead in disbelief.

I'm honestly not sure why Mrs Browns Boys is even still on TV.
    Does Family Guy count? I suppose it does thinking about it, I just didn't include it before because it's a cartoon.

2 episodes? Wow, plenty of time to really examine it, huh? :|

So a few episodes in does it stop being crap? Does the "comedy" of the show stop being unfunny jokes and black stereotypes?

I'm surprised I managed to watch two, I wanted to turn it off at the title sequence. Maybe as a Brit I've been spoiled by better, funnier shows ;)
    Oh, but Family Guy, yeah that's a real winner. I couldn't count how many lessons it has taught me. Oh wait...
    8-|

It's not a TV masterpiece but unlike Fresh Prince, Family Guy is actually funny. It's immature and it's not always great, but it's still funny. Which believe it or not is the aim of a comedy.
    largo2 wrote:

So as well as Match Of The Day and Life On Mars, you also like The Inbetweeners and Only Fools? You have brilliant taste in TV @largo2
    I'm not that into sitcoms, but I'll say Scrubs and Seinfeld are my favorites.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117

Youre joking arent you?

I'm left aghast at how the script got beyond the first draft in the first place without somebody at the beeb saying 'this is a joke right? Youre not seriously suggesting we actually make this?'

Forget the director of the BBC resigning over Savile - the fact that this is still allowed to air should see a mass cull of everyone involved and end with Sooty as director general.

Even Tony Hayers would not have given this abortion of a programme the green light.
    largo2 wrote:

So as well as Match Of The Day and Life On Mars, you also like The Inbetweeners and Only Fools? You have brilliant taste in TV @largo2

Could name loads of tv gold I watched in my youth like
    Catweazle, robin of sherwood, planet of the apes, six million dollar man, monkey the list goes on

Youre joking arent you?

I'm left aghast at how the script got beyond the first draft in the first place without somebody at the beeb saying 'this is a joke right? Youre not seriously suggesting we actually make this?'

Forget the director of the BBC resigning over Savile - the fact that this is still allowed to air should see a mass cull of everyone involved and end with Sooty as director general.

Even Tony Hayers would not have given this abortion of a programme the green light.

Never seen it. Is it THAT bad?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:

Youre joking arent you?

You are lucky. I advise you to make sure you never do. Like witnessing a war crime or clicking on 'two women one cup' its one of those things you cant 'unsee' once its inside your brain.

Even if it had been made in the 70s you would say it was too crass and obvious. Makes On The Buses look like The Thick Of It.

Arm Wrestling With Chas n Dave, Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank, Swallow and Monkey Tennis all get laughed out of TV Centre but this gets welcomed back for series after series?

This country.
  • It is pretty terrible.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Youre joking arent you?

You are lucky. I advise you to make sure you never do. Like witnessing a war crime or clicking on 'two women one cup' its one of those things you cant 'unsee' once its inside your brain.

Even if it had been made in the 70s you would say it was too crass and obvious. Makes On The Buses look like The Thick Of It.

Arm Wrestling With Chas n Dave, Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank, Swallow and Monkey Tennis all get laughed out of TV Centre but this gets welcomed back for series after series?

This country.

Has it got to a second series?

It can't be worse than David Jason's last sitcom when he played a Royal bodyguard? I only saw about 15 minutes of it and it was pretty unfunny. Strange because the same people wrote The Worst Week of my Life (which I really like).
  • Although we have the occasional crap like Mrs Browns Boys I still think UK comedy beats American comedy overall.

Is The Worst Week Of My Life the thing with Ben Miller? Yeah that wasn't too bad if I remember right.
    Although we have the occasional crap like Mrs Browns Boys I still think UK comedy beats American comedy overall.

Is The Worst Week Of My Life the thing with Ben Miller? Yeah that wasn't too bad if I remember right.

Yes, I've got the DVD boxset and really like it.