What is your favorite television sitcom ?

13»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Although we have the occasional crap like Mrs Browns Boys I still think UK comedy beats American comedy overall.

Just for the record Mrs Browns Boys is Irish not British but for some inexplicable reason the BBC see fit to inflict it on the rest of us.

Its sort of a sitcom version of Patrick Kielty.

Just wikied it and its worse than I thought:

Its opening in the UK won 16.4% of the ratings in its Monday night slot and was received well by viewers.[23] Despite the critical reviews, 2.9 million viewers had tuned in by the third episode.[24][25][26] The 2011 Christmas Special achieved 6.61 million viewers, winning in its 10 pm time-slot.[27][28] Consolidated figures revealed the 2012 Christmas specials were the most watched programmes on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day respectively. "Mammy Christmas" gained 11.68m (41.3%) and "The Virgin Mammy" gained 10.72m (38.7%). [29]

Not many shows get 11 million these days. Its already had more episodes than Fawlty Towers and The Office and series 3 started the other week. Looks like its here to stay. Give yourseleves a pat on the back the retarded Great British public.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,562
    Sorry boys and girls.

I'll leave this open for now but technically... You know the drill. ;-)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 624
    American Sitcoms
    -The King of Queens
    -Home Improvement
    -Everybody Loves Raymond
    -Malcolm In The Middle

British Sitcoms
    -Mr. Bean
    -The Inbetweeners
    -As Time Goes By
    -Keeping Up Appearances
    -Fawlty Towers

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of any.
    Step by step and modern family are also awesome.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I got the Thick of It box set for Christmas off my Wife, I'd caught the final series last year and was intrigued to see the rest, I've watched only the 1st series so far but this is definitely going to be up there with my favourites, Innaucci is a genius and Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker is just one of the greatest characters of the last 20 years just priceless.

As to to other comedies

Spaced (2 series of pure gold and hugely influential)

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place (one series of comedy gold, Ayoade, Holness and Berry just magnificent)

Father Ted (Comedy Genius)

Blackadder I-IV (Hilarious even now)
    Shardlake wrote:
    I got the Thick of It box set for Christmas off my Wife, I'd caught the final series last year and was intrigued to see the rest, I've watched only the 1st series so far but this is definitely going to be up there with my favourites, Innaucci is a genius and Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker is just one of the greatest characters of the last 20 years just priceless.

As to to other comedies

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place (one series of comedy gold, Ayoade, Holness and Berry just magnificent)

Seen a bit of Father Ted and could never get into it for some reason. I found it a little too "silly" for my liking.

Blackadder I agree with though. Comedy gold.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

As to to other comedies

Seen a bit of Father Ted and could never get into it for some reason. I found it a little too "silly" for my liking.

Blackadder I agree with though. Comedy gold.

Have to say I'm with Bain when it comes to Father Ted but other than that damn fine list Shardlake.
    some stuff that i love

Seinfeld
    The Wonder Years
    Threes Company
    Mr. Bean
    1. The Brady Bunch
    2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    3. Boy Meets World
    4. King of Queens
    5. Happy Days
    6. Saved by the Bell
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:
    1. The Brady Bunch
    2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    3. Boy Meets World
    4. King of Queens
    5. Happy Days
    6. Saved by the Bell

Oh, you like me, you really like me! ;;)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think Father Ted is OTT but hilarious. Spaced was great and I have to thank it for Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz, and Blackadder was brilliant.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    It's impossible to choose one - Arrested Development, Blackadder, Seinfeld, The Office (UK), Young Ones, I'm Alan Partridge, Peep Show - all my favourites.
  • Am a huge fan of Frasier and Blackadder, but although too young to remember them on their original run, I am tremendously fond of some of the more vintage British sitcoms, such as Hancock's Half Hour, Dad's Army (not so much for the scripts but for the extraordinary actors) Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? (Never Say Never Again crossover there with Clement and La Frenais) and a very underrated favourite of mine, Ever Decreasing Circles, for the brilliant and (although ostensibly gentle), really rather dark, portrayal of Martin Bryce, by the great Richard Briers.

edited January 2013 Posts: 4,043
    I was under the impression that Father Ted is a much loved series and was voted the best Channel 4 Comedy in a recent poll of the station.

It's probably not to everyone's liking personally it has me in tears regularly even after all these years.

Just finished the first 6 episodes of The Thick of It, what can I say just comic genius, interestingly enough Chris Langley said a few lines that would have likely come back to bite him considering his future actions in real life.

How could I forget Alan Partridge, pretty much all of his shows even the most recent ones shown on Sky, more genius from the man Iannuci, on the subject of U.S shows I really like his new show Veep, while not as biting as TTOI it's still very sharp and Julia Dreyfuss is cringely brilliant. Although TTOI is still the better program, they rightly don't try to replicate Malcolm Tucker who could Capaldi is just a force of nature, must see In The Loop soon.
    For anyone who loves Alan Partridge I highly recommend his "autobiography". When I was reading it on the train people were probably wondering who that idiot laughing was.
    Shardlake wrote:
    I was under the impression that Father Ted is a much loved series and was voted the best Channel 4 Comedy in a recent poll of the station.

I love Father Ted but I think that Channel 4 list was pretty dodgy. Blackbooks and the IT crowd ahead of The Inbetweeners and Spaced? No thanks.
    I couldn't see BB (although I liked it) being in front of Spaced but for me the Inbetweeners boat sailed a long time ago, I very much doubt it will go down as much as a classic as some think it is now, very much a product of it's time and the last episode was atrocious, the film was decidedly meh!

To be honest the people who are embracing Mrs Brown's Boys are the same who made The Inbetweeners such a phenomenon and both shows will not be looked at the same way in a decades time, IT Crowd is so much better than it.

No way it will have the longevity Partridge, Blackadder or Spaced or Father Ted will have.
    Film was meh but I thought every episode of the TV series was hilarious, even if it did go downhill a little bit in the 3rd series.

I think the film wasn't needed though and now they're talking about doing a sequel? I reckon they're dragging it on too long. I am looking forward to the announced Alan Partridge movie though, that should be good.

The IT Crowd is funny but I don't think it's brilliant.
    Agreed on Partridge, I thought the recent series and one off's would have seen the character reaching it's limits but once again Coogan and co delivered so many gems made me think there's more than enough mileage in this left.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Shardlake wrote:
    I couldn't see BB (although I liked it) being in front of Spaced but for me the Inbetweeners boat sailed a long time ago, I very much doubt it will go down as much as a classic as some think it is now, very much a product of it's time and the last episode was atrocious, the film was decidedly meh!

I like The Inbetweeners but I agree. It will probably be put in the same category as Men Behaving Badly. Funny programme but very much "of the period" and, in all honesty, too crude to be seen as a "classic".

Personally I'd still take both those programmes over Father Ted though. A friend of mine once showed me a few episodes of Father Ted and it just left me cold - much to his astonishment. I just don't find a boozing priest who says "drink" a lot very funny.

In regard to Alan Partridge I LOVED Kim-Ker-Wap and "I'm Alan Partridge". His recent stuff was good too but didn't reach the heights of Knowing.