The most average Bond film

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote:
    The Man With the Golden Gun. I watch it and I root for Scaramanga. It's just bland and meh. Glad TSWLM came around to refresh the series in 1977.

Dude, while TSWLM is definitely better than TMWTGG, they are still both seated in the 'OK' section of the plane IMO. :))
    MrBond wrote:
    Oooooh GF as average?? Controversial... haha It might seem average today because it pretty much served as the template from which most subsequent Bonds roughly followed
    Most lightweight Bonds. The best ones deviate IMO.
    You Only Live Twice is pretty average to me; actually it's one of the most dull Bond movies I've ever seen. I'd also throw in Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Both are equally yawn-inducing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice is pretty average to me; actually it's one of the most dull Bond movies I've ever seen. I'd also throw in Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Both are equally yawn-inducing.

Wow, you must hate FRWL. I don't know how you can be bored during these films, but do as you will.
    00Beast wrote:

Wow, you must hate FRWL. I don't know how you can be bored during these films, but do as you will.

Actually From Russia with Love is a top ten favorite of mine!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

So why does it beat out the others for you?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,544
    I have two averages:

* QOS, because it peaks both ways and so the final result is in the middle somewhere. Some bits are great, some bits are terrible. The sum total of that would be a mathematical form of average. It's a little like this:

Sine-pi.jpg

* LALD, because I find nothing (except Solitaire) tremendously exciting, nor do I find anything tremendously bad. Pretty much everything is flat. A little like this:

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I have two averages:

* QOS, because it peaks both ways and so the final result is in the middle somewhere. Some bits are great, some bits are terrible. The sum total of that would be a mathematical form of average. It's a little like this:

Sine-pi.jpg

* LALD, because I find nothing (except Solitaire) tremendously exciting, nor do I find anything tremendously bad. Pretty much everything is flat. A little like this:

Very good. I concur with your findings. I would say TND falls somewhere between the two schools. Not a flat line but not such high peaks or troughs as QOS either.
  • The World Is Not Enough. It's exactly 50/50 when split down to the good and the bad.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Skyfall, #12 in my ranking. It doesn't wow me, nor does it cause my toes to curl up.
    Goldeneye - an exercise in boxticking.
    I would say TND falls somewhere between the two schools. Not a flat line but not such high peaks or troughs as QOS either.
    For me, TND is just so enjoyable overall that I can't place it along side average ones like TMWTGG.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I would say TND falls somewhere between the two schools. Not a flat line but not such high peaks or troughs as QOS either.
    For me, TND is just so enjoyable overall that I can't place it along side average ones like TMWTGG.

TND is enjoyable but not outstanding whereas TMWTGG is just poor so TND is above it already you see. Youre setting the average bar pretty low if TMWTGG makes it.
    Youre setting the average bar pretty low if TMWTGG makes it.

YOLT, TMWTGG, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, OP... all of these are the same to me, enjoyable and no more... TND is head (and a little bit of shoulder) above them for me. How's that? B-)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    TMWTGG is one of the greatest films in the series IMO. It really contains everything that a Bond movie should have. Including a straight-forward act by Roger Moore. When he actually feels like a secret agent!
    MrBond wrote:
    TMWTGG is one of the greatest films in the series IMO.
    I happen to like it better than ANY other Moore flick, but I can't say it's THAT good.
    ;)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    chrisisall wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    TMWTGG is one of the greatest films in the series IMO.
    I happen to like it better than ANY other Moore flick, but I can't say it's THAT good.
    ;)

We agree 'till 50 percent.. I guess that something ;)
    TMWTGG is pretty ho hum for me. Nothing special nothing overly suckass, just an average film.
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

So why does it beat out the others for you?

For one, it has real nostalgia for me, so that helps a good bit. When you get beyond that though, I enjoy the plot a great deal, the villains are excellent, the soundtrack is quite fitting, and I enjoy the dark atmosphere that it sets for itself. Connery also gives a top-notch performance, which helps out. It's probably his greatest turnout as 007, though DN, TB, and DAF are good marks for him as well.
  • I have to say LALD is the most average one. The villain is actually right at the bottom of my villain list, so I'm not a fan of him. The Bond girl is just... forgettable, and the locales aren't that exciting.

Then again, my favorite henchman is from this movie, Tee Hee.
  • chrisisall wrote:

TND is enjoyable but not outstanding whereas TMWTGG is just poor so TND is above it already you see. Youre setting the average bar pretty low if TMWTGG makes it.

Agreed
    B-)
    I have to say LALD is the most average one. The villain is actually right at the bottom of my villain list, so I'm not a fan of him. The Bond girl is just... forgettable, and the locales aren't that exciting.

Then again, my favorite henchman is from this movie, Tee Hee.

Indeed! Tee Hee for the win!
    It seems that many people here seem to equal average with boring. For me, the most average Bond films is either TND, because it is the most by the number, or TWINE because it mixes really good and really bad elements. YOLT I am tempted to consider average, but since it was such a drop in quality and intelligence I can't help finding it way below average. Worst Bond movies appeared afterwards, but they were often inspired by it. So YOLT just for it, I find YOLT below average.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    It seems that many people here seem to equal average with boring. For me, the most average Bond films is either TND, because it is the most by the number, or TWINE because it mixes really good and really bad elements. YOLT I am tempted to consider average, but since it was such a drop in quality and intelligence I can't help finding it way below average. Worst Bond movies appeared afterwards, but they were often inspired by it. So YOLT just for it, I find YOLT below average.

Well, to me, there no real boring or bad Bond movies, except for maybe one or two. So for me, the ones on the bottom of the list me are the ones I count as average.
  • FYEO or TND for me.
    Ludovico wrote:

Well, to me, there no real boring or bad Bond movies, except for maybe one or two. So for me, the ones on the bottom of the list me are the ones I count as average.

The ones at the bottom are "bad", by definition.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Illogical. They are "lower" by definition. "Lower" does not automatically translate to "bad".
  • 1.A View to A Kill
    2.Live And Let Die
    3.Dr. No
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Illogical. They are "lower" by definition. "Lower" does not automatically translate to "bad".

The question is which is the most average which would mean right in the middle of the list. If you are at the bottom you are by definition not average, you are below average. That might not mean bad per se but it certainly means worse than the average.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Okay, yes lower. Lower is in any case below average, if the scale of comparison is between the Bond movies.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

The question is which is the most average which would mean right in the middle of the list. If you are at the bottom you are by definition not average, you are below average. That might not mean bad per se but it certainly means worse than the average.
    That is what I meant. I might not find say TMWTGG a bad movie, if I put it at the bottom of the list, it is not an average Bond movie. It is a "low" Bond film.
    Absolutely. We love all the Bond films (well not DAD) so to say its bottom of the list doesn't means a 'bad' film just a bad Bond film.