Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Die Hard With A Vengeance, which was New Years Day incidentally, as been too busy since then for any other movie viewings. And before that, watched two of the Star Trek releases back to back from the 1980s, "The Search for Spock" and then "The Voyage Home". The latter is about as relevant to Star Trek as custard and gravy, but at least Willis and Jackson gave a good performance in the last movie watched, and it's probably the second best of the Die Hard releases thus far. Jeremy Irons is one damn fine actor here

I was speaking with a few others about it a week or two ago, but have you seen the alternate ending to the movie? Leagues better than what we're given in the finished product.
  • Yes I've seen it. Willis and Irons in a Magyar cafe playing 'McClane says' with a chinese rocket launcher, with the sights removed, and Irons answers wrongly - "what should you have brought to save your life" (an armor vest)

They didn't include it, as they didn't want audiences seeing McClane as such a bad figure or thought it distasteful, so they went with the one at the Canadian border

and yes, it was awful. No tension, no thrills, pretty banal. Damn shame after all the fun and excitement that had gone before it

Targo - "I see you all day little man. Police man ? And you don't go away.."

McClane - "Yeah, I'm the f--king energizer bunny"

(one of my favorite scenes from that)
    It's such a shame that the whole film builds up to that ending. But, I try not to let it bother me too much. I'm hoping the alternate ending is attached to the blu-ray copy I picked up.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Expendables 2 8/10

Great movie but after this second viewing I think I've decided I like the Extended Director's Cut of the first better. It just has more heart to it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Expendables 2 8/10

Great movie but after this second viewing I think I've decided I like the Extended Director's Cut of the first better. It just has more heart to it.

I had the same sentiments. Exp2 was cool, especially with Van Damme returning from oblivion. Not sure about Norris but furthermore okay. However, it misses that spark of *making fist* YEAH! which the first one definitely had, IMO.
    I wasn't crazy about Norris in 'The Expendables II' - I know other actors continuously used famous lines from their career, but his cameo felt so forced with the 'Chuck Norris Facts' and what not. He absolutely demolished hundreds of men, but his dialogue and whatnot didn't interest me.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Watched one of Sir Sean's lesser films this afternoon, the political satire 'Wrong Is Right'. Connery was on fine form but the film was rather poor in all other respects. Given what a huge superstar he was and could surely pick and choose his roles he did make some rather odd choices. Like this one. Maybe it looked good on paper.
    ZARDOZ

4408937032_f78c12fa1e.jpg

This is a huge guilty pleasure film for me. Zardoz was directed by John Boorman, whom I can only suspect of severe substance abuse when making this film, but overall this is one of those weird 70s semi-spiritual Sci-fi frenzies that I love to get immersed in. Utter nonsense, some will say. Perhaps, but this strange mishmash of weird, inconsistent attempts at being artistic, actually entertains me. I find the aesthetic most pleasing too. Connery and Rampling are just great fun in it. Since I still value my life I'm not going to recommend Zardoz to anyone but if you're curious, go ahead and take a peak. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Since I still value my life I'm not going to recommend Zardoz to anyone but if you're curious, go ahead and take a peak. ;-)
    I own it; it's a hoot.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Since I still value my life I'm not going to recommend Zardoz to anyone but if you're curious, go ahead and take a peak. ;-)
    I own it; it's a hoot.

Ah, Zardoz. Even as a fan of Rampling's work, it took me a while to get around to it. And yet, I still don't have a clue what that film was about, I don't think I ever will. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's deep, like The Prisoner. Mere words cannot explain the higher meanings.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I wasn't crazy about Norris in 'The Expendables II' - I know other actors continuously used famous lines from their career, but his cameo felt so forced with the 'Chuck Norris Facts' and what not. He absolutely demolished hundreds of men, but his dialogue and whatnot didn't interest me.

While Norris and Arnold really didn't serve any purpose to the plot it was still awesome see both of them. I was surprised at how much I like Norris in it and I actually wouldn't mind it if he is in the third installment.

I'm hoping that Jackie Chan gets a big role in the third one. I'll see it in theaters, if so.
    I will be livid if Steven Seagal isn't cast in Exp3. :P
    In all honesty, I loved Seagal in his early years; 'Out for Justice' is still one of my favorite action movies, and 'Marked For Death' and 'Above the Law' were great. After that, it was allll downhill.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In all honesty, I loved Seagal in his early years; 'Out for Justice' is still one of my favorite action movies, and 'Marked For Death' and 'Above the Law' were great. After that, it was allll downhill.

And that's exactly why I want him for this film. :D
    @DarthDimi, haha, there we go! I remember finding it hilarious that he just popped up out of nowhere in 'Machete'; I hadn't read up on the film, gave it a go, and here's a sword-wielding villain Seagal. Quite interesting, because I couldn't take him seriously whatsoever.
    Seagal in Machete was awesome! :P Finally he manages not take himself seriously. That's the perfect audition for The Expendables.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Seagal in Machete was awesome! :P Finally he manages not take himself seriously. That's the perfect audition for The Expendables.

Just send them the DVD version of it, all cut down to his parts, and he's set. I think you're right: I would like to see THAT Seagal in 'Expendables III,' chopping throats, yet so relaxed.
    For me, the last movie I saw in a theater was The Hobbit. On TV, it was 2012, which I found very similar to Independance Day (in both movies, the dog survived).
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm hoping that Jackie Chan gets a big role in the third one. I'll see it in theaters, if so.

I remember reading an interview with Jackie and he said that he wouldn't do it if he had a small role. So he should have a decent role in it. Maybe he'll replace Jet Li as the martial arts fighter, even though Chan has said that he is retired from Kung Fu movies.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I will be livid if Steven Seagal isn't cast in Exp3. :P

I think I remember hearing (or was it something I read) that Stallone tried to get Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme in the first one but neither of them wanted to do it. Then the second movie comes around and Van Damme is on board but Seagal still didn't want to do it. Maybe the third time's the charm? ;)
    Watched Expendables 2 last night! 10 out of 10 for me! What an absolute romp! Action and humour was brilliant! When Arnie pulls the car door off? I was crying! Hilarious stuff which i thoroughly enjoyed! Roll on the 3rd movie! Such a treat to see all the action heroes i grew up with in a movie together! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Watched Expendables 2 last night! 10 out of 10 for me! What an absolute romp! Action and humour was brilliant! When Arnie pulls the car door off? I was crying! Hilarious stuff which i thoroughly enjoyed! Roll on the 3rd movie! Such a treat to see all the action heroes i grew up with in a movie together! :-bd

Haha, Arnold is just so smooth and suave about it, too, as it goes flying past him. I love it.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Stake Land 7.5/10

One of the better vampire movies I've seen in years. It felt like the most realistic vampire apocalypse movie I've seen. It loses some points because of the ending... it sort of just ends when you don't expect it to.

Battle: Los Angeles 9/10

One of my top alien invasion movies. To this day I don't understand why this movie has gotten so much negative reviews. My only complaint about it is we don't get much closure with some of the characters at the end. Like the civillians they were saving, did they survive? Is the one Marine's wife still alive? Other than that I love the film and I would love to see a sequel, perhaps Battle: New York.

'The Courier' 2/10

Terrible direct-to-DVD film starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Mickey Rourke that is all over the place until the obvious, dull, abrupt ending.

'The Words' 7/10

Aside from the ending, the film was pretty phenomenal. Wonderful acting throughout, I loved the dialogue between Cooper and Irons, and the whole movie really got me thinking.

'Premium Rush' 6/10

Very unique, entertaining film, and it was fun to point out places I've visited in NYC. Can't say I ever thought I'd be excited to see a bike courier film, but this one was good.

'Arbitrage' 9/10

Absolutely stunning acting by Richard Gere, playing a billionaire who is tackling many life-altering moments at once. Great twists, wonderful supporting cast, though I wasn't too fond of (again) the abrupt guessing game of an ending.

'Dredd' 8/10

I went into this with absolutely no background information on Judge Dredd - just heard some great fan reviews from it - and I was entertained. Awesome action - though some obvious twists and cheesy one-liners.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Michael Mann's THIEF starring James Caan. Great movie.
    DrNo wrote:
    Michael Mann's THIEF starring James Caan. Great movie.

A very good movie indeed! I love this film. Great music, cinematography, acting... A film for the 80s. Jim Belushi rocks in this one.
  • Assassins Creed Lineage

I'd never heard of this but it was dirt cheap and I like the games so I thought I may as well pick it up.

Could've done with at least one proper parkour scene and better acting from some people (especially the kid playing Ezio who didn't even attempt an Italian accent), but overall half an hour or so well spent.

Texas Chainsaw 3D

One major issue I have with this film is that it's not sure when it's set. Heather was a baby in 1974 after the end of the original film. So she would be almost 40 now. There is no way in hell that girl is 40.

Ok fair enough, maybe it's the 90s. Yeah, the 90s, with it's smart phones and modern clothes, what a great decade.

Aside from that, not a bad film, but not brilliant. Not a patch on the original but as it stands it's one of the better films in the series. The ending set up a sequel nicely.
    Wrath of the Titans. Very underwhelmed by it. Nuff said!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    The Dark Knight Rises... again. It's great to have it on DVD!