Jackie Chan

edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
If bloody Spiderman gets his own thread then this legend deserves one. (Videos spoiler tagged so the thread doesn't lag).

Suddenly Daniel Craig filming on a moving train himself doesn't seem so impressive eh ;)

Comments

JC should have played Bond. Is it too late?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jackie is a phenomenon. And in Supercop he even says "Wow, now I'm really James Bond!" Hahaha!
    Who Am I, The Accidental Spy (Chinese version only), Drunken Master II, Shanghai Noon, the list goes on & on.
    I love this guy.
    Y'know, in a MANLY way...
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    JC should have played Bond. Is it too late?

We've got to get Dalts back first, remember? ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Jackie is a legend. I loved how at the end of the police story films they showed how some of the stunts went wrong and some of them were just.....ouch. However, Jackie is an exhibitionist, Craig and many other Hollywood action heroes are not. They're just actors.
    As this is a Bond site, I'm wondering how many here have seen his "Accidental Spy"? It's the closest he's gotten to making a Bond movie (aside from the Tuxedo, which was more of a straight-up comedy). The American verson was edited horribly, taking out much of the plot of the film, luckily I got a Chinese version that was complete.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Jackie's a legend, me and my mother love his work, he's one of the best actors out there.

A Japanese James Bond? how would he be called then? Jameshi Bondukuri? lol
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Bond-san
    or
    Jimmy-kun (for a boy, not a man) pronounced "koon"

(I edited it; at first I put "chan" for a boy, but that actually is only for a girl!)

;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jackie is an absolute God in my book. The man's work is beyond impressive, and his action movies are some of the most entertaining films I've ever come across.
    And to think he started out by having Bruce Lee snap his neck in Enter The Dragon...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    And to think he started out by having Bruce Lee snap his neck in Enter The Dragon...

It's really weird to think about: he's just one of the 382,459 people thrown at Lee in the movie, and look at him now: he's doing some destruction of his own. Those stunts of his cannot be trumped.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Jackie's Chinese, not Japanese.
    DrNo wrote:
    Jackie's Chinese, not Japanese.
    I didn't want to say it...
    ;;)
    Jackie chan's films are better than bruce lee's easily.
    001 wrote:
    Jackie chan's films are better than bruce lee's easily.
    His are not as fiercely visceral, but yeah, better in general IMO.
    I know he's Chinese. I just thought someone was wondering what he would be called in Japanese, that's all. Chan is a diminutive nickname for children in Japanese. And "-san" is added to the last name; hence Bond-san.
  • There is definitely some sentiment among martial arts fans that on a strictly fighting basis, he could take Lee in a fight. I don't know that I'd go that far, but if there are any other martial artists out there I'd like your thoughts.

What Chan lacks compared to Lee is a danger factor. Sort of like Craig vs Brosnan, Craig is dangerous and Brozzer you wouldn't sweat in a dark alley.
    I don't think it's the same. Brosnan and Craig, at the end of the day, are just actors. Both Bruce and Jackie are legitimate fighters and although I like to think I can handle myself (did lots of boxing, I was in the army and I've been in my fair share of fights), I'd be crapping myself if I had to fight either of them.

Lee might seem more dangerous in films, but that's because he's much more serious while Jackie uses comedy.

I think it'd be a close call but Jackie could take him in a fight. Lee and Chan are different but both extremely good.

Jackie himself has said that he tried to be different to Lee on purpose to set himself apart from the countless Lee imitators.

Bruce Lee played straight faced, serious badasses, Jackie Chan plays more comedic, everyman type heroes (well as everyman as you can get when you're doing the stunts he does).

Another thing he mentioned, and that I've noticed too, is that their fighting styles are also pretty different. Both are pretty quick but while Lee was loose and flew round all over the place Jackie is choppy, he keeps his arms closer to his chest and is tighter and faster. Watch a fight scene from either of them and you'll see what I mean.

I think, overall, I prefer Jackie. On top of being a great fighter, some of the stunts he's done are insane and unlike Lee he never used a stunt double. I think overall his films are better too.

Lee though was a total badass who helped shape the landscape of martial arts cinema and we can't forget that.
  • Bond-san
    or

(I edited it; at first I put "chan" for a boy, but that actually is only for a girl!)

;)

So Fleming got it wrong when he had Tiger say that it should be "Bondo-san" instead of "Bond-san"?

if there are any other martial artists out there I'd like your thoughts.

Seriously, Bruce LIVED fighting, and the more I trained & studied, the more I became aware that I would never, EVER achieve his level, because I had & have other interests in life. Though I have a 30 year background in martial arts, it has never been the thing that drives me in every waking moment.
    Realistically, Bruce Lee vs. Jackie Chan at their best would result in a loss for Chan. Yes, Chan did all the stunts and even flips that Lee never mastered, but Lee was about simple devastation, not show.
    Bond-san
    or

;)

So Fleming got it wrong when he had Tiger say that it should be "Bondo-san" instead of "Bond-san"?

Good for catching that, but it is not an error as it is more realistic dialog. It is just the last name plus "san". But Japanese tend to add a vowel onto the end. Cred is said "cred-oh" So although it would supposedly technically be just the last name Bond-san and I would say Bond-san, many or most Japanese would say in speaking "Bondo-san". Like beer is said "bee-loo" etc. (they don't have an "r" so their "r" is like a light "l") or to say the English for the color red, they say "led-oh".
  • chrisisall wrote:
    if there are any other martial artists out there I'd like your thoughts.

Seriously, Bruce LIVED fighting, and the more I trained & studied, the more I became aware that I would never, EVER achieve his level, because I had & have other interests in life. Though I have a 30 year background in martial arts, it has never been the thing that drives me in every waking moment.
    Realistically, Bruce Lee vs. Jackie Chan at their best would result in a loss for Chan. Yes, Chan did all the stunts and even flips that Lee never mastered, but Lee was about simple devastation, not show.

I still think Chan could take him. He's faster and I reckon that'd give him an advantage.

That school he trained at sounds pretty horrible and he started training at an earlier age than Lee.
    That school he trained at sounds pretty horrible and he started training at an earlier age than Lee.
    Tough yes,.. let's put it this way, if Lee & Chan were fighting in a boxing ring, Chan would go down fast; if they were fighting in a mall Chan would beat the crap out of Lee with found stuff!
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Tough yes,.. let's put it this way, if Lee & Chan were fighting in a boxing ring, Chan would go down fast; if they were fighting in a mall Chan would beat the crap out of Lee with found stuff!

I think that's a fair assessment.

One on one straight up fight in a ring, Lee stands a good chance of taking it.

But if they were somewhere where Jackie could use the enviroment to his advantage (so basically anywhere with a solid object), then Chan would definetly win.

I watched Brandon lee in Showdown in Little Tokyo and he had great martial arts skills as well.
    I reckon Chuck norris was probably the best fighter in real life. He was a undefeated world champion for many years.
  • 001 wrote:
    I reckon Chuck norris was probably the best fighter in real life. He was a undefeated world champion for many years.

I don't think he was. Too slow for one thing, especially as he got older. He was the karate world champion for years but that's no guarantee that Jackie or Bruce couldn't kick his arse.
    001 wrote:

I don't think he was. Too slow for one thing, especially as he got older. He was the karate world champion for years but that's no guarantee that Jackie or Bruce couldn't kick his arse.

Undefeated world champ for many years too slow. I wouldn't think so.
    Of course as he got older he was slower so did jackie chan.

To keep his karate championship he won set fights and tournaments, there's no evidence there that he could beat Chan or Lee.

I think people overrate Norris because of his facts. Here's 1983 Chuck Norris.

And here's Jackie Chan in 1998.

Chuck Norris was born in 1940, Chan in 1954, so in these scenes they would've been roughly the same age.

Who do you think is faster, and who do you think stands a better chance?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bruce Lee would have killed Chuck in less than a minute. And I am not joking.