Which Non-British actor could or could have played Bond?

2»

Comments

Agent005 wrote:
    Cubby seemed to think he was capable. That's quite the endorsement in my book...

Perfect opening for the Brosnan haters:

"Well, Cubby's last deed for EON was hiring Pierce, so apparently his judgement isn't so good." 8-|

Damn. You have a point...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Agent005 wrote:
    Agent005 wrote:
    Cubby seemed to think he was capable. That's quite the endorsement in my book...

Perfect opening for the Brosnan haters:

"Well, Cubby's last deed for EON was hiring Pierce, so apparently his judgement isn't so good." 8-|

Damn. You have a point...

Well, it's more like the Brosnan haters thinking they are the ones that have the point. But now that I already said it to mock them, they will look even more unoriginal if they copy me. :)
  • I remember being extremely impressed with Jim Caviezel when The Count of Monte Cristo came out ten years ago - great old-fashioned swashbuckler that shows that they can make them like they used to. I thought that if they ever had to cast an American as Bond he'd be a good choice, but to be fair I had a more narrow view of what a Bond actor should be like back then and Caviezel was a new face with no baggage. And of course his devout christianity could be a problem for playing the character...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelordflasheart, I only saw 'The Count of Monte Cristo' once, but I absolutely loved it. Excellent tale of revenge.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelordflasheart, I only saw 'The Count of Monte Cristo' once, but I absolutely loved it. Excellent tale of revenge.

The novel is better. And this thing apparently rips it to shreds. I had to ask people what it was about to compare (and it wasn't true to the story), because I would be in a rage if I saw this. NOBODY ruins Dumas's brilliant work. [-(
    Robert Wagner.
    Ellis wrote:
    Robert Wagner.

Yeah, maybe we could bring Christopher Walken back as the villain and he and Bond can team up and drown the Bond girl in the water. :|
  • Creasy47 wrote:

The novel is better. And this thing apparently rips it to shreds. I had to ask people what it was about to compare (and it wasn't true to the story), because I would be in a rage if I saw this. NOBODY ruins Dumas's brilliant work. [-(

Believe me, I'm a HUGE fan of Dumas' work and even I'd admit there could be some trimming. He wrote "novels" (actually, serialized stories published in magazines and newspapers that later were bound as novels) that went on and on because he made more money the longer the story! And that's to say nothing of the fact that he had an assembly lines of writers contributing to his books (although they were all published under his name).

The Three Musketeers is one of my favourite books but the sequels really become draggy and stretched out. I've not read The Count of Monte Cristo but wouldn't be surprised if the story could be compressed with little ill effect.
    Ellis wrote:
    Robert Wagner.

Yeah, maybe we could bring Christopher Walken back as the villain and he and Bond can team up and drown the Bond girl in the water. :|

And then nobody will bring up/talk about the movie for 30 or 40 years.
    Here's another who I'd have liked to have seen as Bond:

Martin Csokas
    marton_csokas.jpg

Clint Eastwood as Bond FFS !

'A Fistful of nonsense'

I always thought Richard Gere and I see no reason to change that thinking. Maybe Clooney even, or James Stewart. Also, Henry Fonda is worth a mention. I'd even go as far to include Ray Liotta in this

I too thought Richard Gere could be bond.
    Martin Csokas is such an underrated actor. I think the last thing I saw him in was 'The Debt.'
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    Robert Wagner.

And then nobody will bring up/talk about the movie for 30 or 40 years.

And Lana Wood would naturally return too. Kind of ironic how Plenty died by drowning in the pool water, isn't it?
    how about Josh Hartnett played the man in sin city ?
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Honestly, NO ONE !

Neither past actors/celebrities (Peck, Bogart,...), neither US stars (Gere, Eastwood - said himself when asked the role MUST be for a British and certainly not a US-, Brolin might have been, ...) neither French Jean Dujardin (In OSS 117, he's a parody of Connery's 60's style, nothing more and doesn't look like 007 ; despite having so many talents and being one of the finest actors of the last decade)

I've read Sam Neill (if it happened, I'd find it just boring, he doesn't have the 007 style and class, IMOO), Ryan Gosling (?), Cary Grant is out of this contest for me, ...
    and the blasphemy goes to the possible cast of Mads Mikkelsen (??? ! ! Really ?! I thought he acted not bad as Le Chiffre's CR 2006 but still isn't the best cast for that role, then him for Bond, I'd rather not mind neither go and see) : Just no one as an official 007.

I openly quite dislike this topic because it's comparable to the fact Hollywood empire tries to adapt/remake some Non-US artistic successes like, as a Belgian watching Spielberg's "Tintin" -I didn't because I dislike those animations- I'd certainly prefer a...Belgian adaptation or TV serie or even TV films with the spirit of the famous comics from Hergé. Same remark for fans of "Millenium" serie, now both Swedish and US adapted...
    I hope some understand me... It'd be like watching a Spanish adapt of Batman...Or an Italian Zorro. It's all in the non-sense. And I find it non-interesting, even I'm aware there are tastes for anyone.

The topic has changed its name but I never counted Lazenby and Brosnan (Great British) as the very first Non-British, as the original poster typed above, better read "the first Non-Commonwealth actor, who could play the part."

It happened a Scotsman (whose perf declined the origins character split in 2, half Swiss, half Scottish), an Australian (British and Commonwealth), after him a real English gentleman, then a Welsh. An Irish (Still Commonwealth but Non-Brit) and another Englishman...Fans know that, but to keep the phenomenon worldwidely (I exclude autochtones islands) : what about a Northern-Irish actor ?

• Colin Farell isn't from Northen Ireland is he? So he's not British.

I think he could've been good.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Well, I don't think he is. I think is from Eire. And he's a good actor but in the ones that lack of personality or charisma, shall I say to portray the role, which needs a great delivery of one-liners. (I appreciated him much in The Recruit and The New World.) I'm looking forward to watching his perf in the spy film "In Bruges", because it hasn't been yet for me.

If I'm right, Northern Ireland is part of the UK but not Eire/Ireland, only part of the Commonwealth (16 or 32 countries I can't remember exactly) and Great Britain islands, so does Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man and obviously England .
    I may be wrong.