Which Non-British actor could or could have played Bond?

edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 479
for me it could have been James Brolin and Clint Eastwood

I'm not sure about now but you guys can figure that out.

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Hmm, my picks would be George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,333
    I think you'll find there's already been two non-Brits play Bond... George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan.

PS. Well done, @thelivingroyale you just beat me to the draw with that answer
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This isn't news. Moved to Bond actors.
  • Jean Dujardin definitely has the look- I finally got around to watching The Artist and I had Bond on the brain everytime they showed him.
    Unfortunately I hear he doesn't really speak english, but I could be wrong on that
    DarthDimi wrote:
    This isn't news. Moved to Bond actors.
    oops sorry about that, I just posted it without looking.

bondsum wrote:
    I think you'll find there's already been two non-Brits play Bond... George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan.

PS. Well done, @thelivingroyale you just beat me to the draw with that answer

Ok then, but Brosnan lived in England for a long time as a child, but yeah I forgot about Lazenby, so this is now called, Which Non-Actor from a country that was once a part of the British empire could or could have played Bond?

• Clint eastwood ...before you say naah checkout his look in Cogan's Bluff.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,333
    Rock Hudson... he's not British. I'd stick him on the list. Also check out his Blindfold movie and notice how Taken 2 and quite a lot of movies have borrowed elements from that picture.
  • Richard Chamberlain, in his heydays in the '70s
  • Clint Eastwood back in the 1960's.
  • Mads Mikkelsen
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Humphrey Bogart, with none other than Lauren Bacall as his rightful Bond girl.
    HumphreyBogart.jpg
  • Sam Neill!

Cary Grant.
  • Clint Eastwood as Bond FFS !

'A Fistful of nonsense'

I always thought Richard Gere and I see no reason to change that thinking. Maybe Clooney even, or James Stewart. Also, Henry Fonda is worth a mention. I'd even go as far to include Ray Liotta in this
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson, James Garner.
  • Damn I was just about to say Peck-- good call!
  • It's a tricky one. I'm sure there's any number of Americans who could have done a sterling job as Bond (provided, I think we mostly agree here, that the character be played with a British accent). I'm just relieved that the Second Coming of Sean (much as I dislike DAF) saved us all from John Gavin. Or as Alfred Hitchcock called him, 'The Stiff.'

I love Cary Grant, but since he was born and brought up in Bristol, I don't think he quite counts for the purposes of this thread.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2013 Posts: 4,447
    Steve Mc Queen. Style: Daniel Craig
    Brad Davis. American. Style: Sean Connery/Daniel Craig. The guy go to yuse drugs in the month after he playing in Midnight express 14 years later he died because of this. If there accept he be American and he haven't yused drugs mabey have Bond where we get now Dalton or Brosnan. His birth year whas 4 years older then Brosnan and 5 years younger then Dalton.
    Sam Neill. Style: Sean Connery/Dalton
    Ryan Gosling. American, born in Canada. Style: Daniel Craig or Connery

Dutch:

Fedja van Huêt. Some people mabey remember from the older forums i sugest him Sean Connery - Diamonds Are Forever style.
    Raymond Thiry. Style: Daniel Craig/Dalton/Brosnan/Sam Neill/Steve Mc Queen

Richard Gere Bond possible be more like Brosnan Bond in the meaning of Die Another Day style.

Jean Dujardin definitely has the look- I finally got around to watching The Artist and I had Bond on the brain everytime they showed him.
    Unfortunately I hear he doesn't really speak english, but I could be wrong on that

He has done a french version of Bond in France you should check out called Oss 117 and its a piss takeon Connery's Bond films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    lahaine wrote:
    Jean Dujardin definitely has the look- I finally got around to watching The Artist and I had Bond on the brain everytime they showed him.

He has done a french version of Bond in France you should check out called Oss 117 and its a piss takeon Connery's Bond films.

I have wanted to watch those for a long time now. Can't find them, obviously.
  • Aren't they on Ebay? Almost everything is on Ebay.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Take into account that he's purposely hamming it up in this pic- but that's a potential GREAT Bond right there!

2980775251_1_5_HAOGps3u.jpg
    OSS117_Rio_Dujardin_tux_gun_James_Bond_pose.jpg
    Humphrey Bogart, with none other than Lauren Bacall as his rightful Bond girl.
    I'm inclined to agree because I love Bogart-- but the trouble is he'd be about 63 years old in Dr. No!

Plus he's like 3 feet tall ;)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    I'm inclined to agree because I love Bogart-- but the trouble is he'd be about 63 years old in Dr. No!
    *edit- scratch that. Dead. :| :| :|
    *edit- scratch that. Dead. :| :| :|
    Yeah, he was dead before Bond even came to the big screen, in 1957 at only 57 years old. But I viewed this more as a hypothetical question where their age didn't really matter that much. Still, I can dream.
  • Apparently Goran Visnjic.
    Campbell and the producers were meant to be more an impressed with his screentest and for a time he was the favorite before Daniel got back in the mix.
    Well, there's always John Gavin. He was on contract for DAF, but they bought him out when Connery agreed to come back.

8100988810_8e8acb2e89.jpg
    Agent005 wrote:
    Well, there's always John Gavin. He was on contract for DAF, but they bought him out when Connery agreed to come back.

8100988810_8e8acb2e89.jpg

No way he would've had the presence to carry a film like it is needed in this franchise.
    Cubby seemed to think he was capable. That's quite the endorsement in my book...
    Agent005 wrote:
    Cubby seemed to think he was capable. That's quite the endorsement in my book...

Perfect opening for the Brosnan haters:

"Well, Cubby's last deed for EON was hiring Pierce, so apparently his judgement isn't so good." 8-|