Favourite line from Judi Dench

13»

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    I belive that she plays two different characthers who by some coincidence have the same looks and the same employment ;)
  • Someone on TV Tropes said it best, on Judi and my favorite line in CR: She delivered the finest ever "Do not, do not, DO! NOT!, EFF WITH ME!" voice when she threatened to kill James on his next uttered syllable.

I can only dream to have such a presence. Especially at work. ;)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Basically all her lines in the following dialogue. How they are written, how they are delivered: pure gold!!

M: You don't like me, Bond. You don't like my methods. You think I'm an accountant, a bean counter more interested in my numbers than your instincts.
    Bond: The thought had occurred to me.
    M: Good. Because I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War, whose boyish charms, though lost on me, obviously appealed to that young girl I sent out to evaluate you.
    Bond: Point taken.
    M: Not quite, 007. If you think I don't have the balls to send a man out to die, your instincts are dead wrong. I've no compunction about sending you to your death. But I won't do it on a whim. Even with your cavalier attitude towards life. I want you to find GoldenEye, find out who took and what they plan to do with it, and stop it. And if you should come across Ourumov, guilty or not, I don't want you running off on some vendetta. Avenging Alec Trevelyan will not bring him back.
    Bond: You didn't get him killed.
    M: Neither did you. Don't make it personal.
    Bond: Never. [turns to leave]
    M: Bond.
    [Bond stop and turns to her]
    M: Come back alive.

I love this scene, but I feel the 'come back alive' line was a mistake. It softened her too much but its understandable that they didn't want M to come across like a total icy super-bitch.

My personal favourite Dench line is in QOS; once Bond escapes mi6 custody: 'I couldn't give a shit about the CIA, he's my agent and I trust him.'

It's a great moment, as it solidifies the relationship between Bond and M and the fact that the pair implicitly trust each other. Also I like the fact that Bond isn't present when she says the line, I don't think Judi's M would ever really admit something like that in front of him.

I also love her line at the end of the film: "I need you back." Of course she means the line in a professional context (she wants him back on duty) but there is obviously a great personal note to it as well.
  • "Florists use that expression, there's florists in the bloody room".
    Obviously, the "sexist, misogynist dinosaur" speech is my #1. But she did really have a lot of great lines. For a #2, I'd probably pick the Tennyson speech in SF.
    So many great lines from Dame Judi. It was all in her delivery.

Personal fav?

"You stormed into an embassy. You violated the only inviolate rule of international relationships. And for what? To kill a nobody? We wanted to question him, not to KILL HIM! My God, you're supposed to show some sort of judgement"

Honourable mentions: Quoting Tennyson, "I've f***ed this up haven't I", sexist and misogynist speech from GE.