Favourite line from Judi Dench

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't know why, but:

"I f***ed this up, didn't I?"

It's just the culmination of all the events she was responsible for throughout SF, all into one depressed line.

And not to forget when she's in Bond's car:
    "Go ahead, see if I care!"

In SF: "Well I guess that is completely inconspicuous."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Basically all her lines in the following dialogue. How they are written, how they are delivered: pure gold!!

M: You don't like me, Bond. You don't like my methods. You think I'm an accountant, a bean counter more interested in my numbers than your instincts.
    Bond: The thought had occurred to me.
    M: Good. Because I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War, whose boyish charms, though lost on me, obviously appealed to that young girl I sent out to evaluate you.
    Bond: Point taken.
    M: Not quite, 007. If you think I don't have the balls to send a man out to die, your instincts are dead wrong. I've no compunction about sending you to your death. But I won't do it on a whim. Even with your cavalier attitude towards life. I want you to find GoldenEye, find out who took and what they plan to do with it, and stop it. And if you should come across Ourumov, guilty or not, I don't want you running off on some vendetta. Avenging Alec Trevelyan will not bring him back.
    Bond: You didn't get him killed.
    M: Neither did you. Don't make it personal.
    Bond: Never. [turns to leave]
    M: Bond.
    [Bond stop and turns to her]
    M: Come back alive.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Basically all her lines in the following dialogue. How they are written, how they are delivered: pure gold!!

M: You don't like me, Bond. You don't like my methods. You think I'm an accountant, a bean counter more interested in my numbers than your instincts.
    Bond: The thought had occurred to me.
    M: Good. Because I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War, whose boyish charms, though lost on me, obviously appealed to that young girl I sent out to evaluate you.
    Bond: Point taken.
    M: Not quite, 007. If you think I don't have the balls to send a man out to die, your instincts are dead wrong. I've no compunction about sending you to your death. But I won't do it on a whim. Even with your cavalier attitude towards life. I want you to find GoldenEye, find out who took and what they plan to do with it, and stop it. And if you should come across Ourumov, guilty or not, I don't want you running off on some vendetta. Avenging Alec Trevelyan will not bring him back.
    Bond: You didn't get him killed.
    M: Neither did you. Don't make it personal.
    Bond: Never. [turns to leave]
    M: Bond.
    [Bond stop and turns to her]
    M: Come back alive.

She so good, I was able to read that in her voice. SOO GOOOOOD.
    RIP
  • Still has to be the bit from GE where she lays into Bond and calls him a sexist dinasour, a relic of the cold war, etc.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    The GoldenEye introduction : "sexist, mysoginist, dinosaur...a relic of Cold War"

The "balls she doesn't have to think with at all time" in TND

The "shadow coming from front or behind, never on top" in TWINE.

The "blunt instrument" from CR

"Take the bloody shot !" during Skyfall (and some others I'll remember certainly later)
    "Skyfall will be my last Bond film." Judi Dench, 2012.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondsum wrote:

What's up with these appreciation/favorite threads lately? There has to be that one person...
  • bondsum wrote:

=))

To be fair I didn't mind her in SF as much as I thought I would. I thought since TWINE (where I liked it because it was original), they'd been using her way too much but in SF I liked her better than in the last two films because they added more comedy between her and Bond and took out the boring trust issues.
  • Sexist, mysogonist, dinosaur. Great scene with Pierce Bronsan. One of my favourite scenes from Goldeneye.
    Sexist, mysogonist, dinosaur. Great scene with Pierce Bronsan. One of my favourite scenes from Goldeneye.

That, too, is excellent. I surmised that scene showed most of the non-believers that Judi Dench's M could handle such situations that she really did have the balls to do what was needed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There is only one that touches my heart above all the rest:

"Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

:((
    'Eject me, I don't care." from SF
  • "Who the hell do they think they are? I report to the Prime Minister, and even he's smart enough not to ask me what we do. Have you ever seen such a bunch of self-righteous, arse-covering prigs? They don't care what we do; they care what we get photographed doing. And how the hell could Bond be so stupid? I give him double-O status and he celebrates by shooting up an embassy! Is the man deranged? And where the hell is he? In the old days, if an agent did something that embarrassing, he'd have the good sense to defect! Christ, I miss the Cold War!" This line is awesome
  • MrBondMrBond Station S

A great delivery by her. Even though the specifics weren't written for her ;)

A favourite of mine is from QoS: " I think you're blinded by inconsolable rage so you don't care who you hurt. When you can't tell you'r friends from you'r enemies it's time to go "
    I think someone said it in another thread, but her smashing the ashtray into the ground when Bond tells M that he didn't think Mitchell smoked was great. She's so bitter and amazed in that scene.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I like the part when Bond says that Mitchell didn't smoke and she throws it onto the ground. It's like throwing gasoline on a fire!
    MrBond wrote:
    I like the part when Bond says that Mitchell didn't smoke and she throws it onto the ground. It's like throwing gasoline on a fire!

That's what I loved: one of Bond's only lines in the scene was that, and it was such an underhanded smartass line to her.

By the way, great display picture!
  • I haven't really memorized all her lines, but her first scene with Brosnan in GE sticks out to me. As well as "Christ, I miss the Cold War".

Dench really is the best M. She made the character into something special, something as far away from Lee as you could get. If I'm honest, I actually didn't really like Lee as M. Sure, he was very British indeed, and quite authoritative, but I just didn't like him as a character. M just has more depth in her pinky then Lee ever had in his whole body.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,400
    "Go on, eject me. See if I care." Gold, Jerry, GOLD! and maybe, "'We've got people everywhere. Florists say that but they don't really MEAN it."
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

That's what I loved: one of Bond's only lines in the scene was that, and it was such an underhanded smartass line to her.

By the way, great display picture!

Thank you! You're isn't so bad either!

• I think it's hard to pick one out above all else, but Dench has had her share of some great lines in her 17 years of James Bond service

In no order of preference -

'You've got a bloody cheek'

'Sexist misogynist dinosaur - a relic of the cold war'

'Or yourself' (Craig says that next time he'll shoot the camera)

'Go ahead and eject me, see if I damn well care'

'You're no use to anyone now'

'Well it seems you've become useful again'

'Admiral, I must protest - my man isn't finished'

'What time is it ?'

'Pump her for information'

'I don't think this is really a good time'

'I will not tolerate insubordination 007'

(was going to put the 'I fouled up' quote in, but I was more surprised than anything else at it's inclusion. It wasn't really a favorite line so to speak)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 204
    "Ran out of drink where you were did they?"

"Well you're bloody well not staying here!"

You should have called.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:

A favourite of mine is from QoS: " I think you're blinded by inconsolable rage so you don't care who you hurt. When you can't tell you'r friends from you'r enemies it's time to go "

What do you mean? The poem both reflects Bond and M, doubly.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 10,512
    MrBond wrote:

What do you mean? The poem both reflects Bond and M, doubly.

He means it's Tennyson. It's not original material written for the character.

My favourite exchange...

TANNER: Your hunch was right 007. Too bad the Evil Queen of Numbers wouldn't let you play it.

M: You were saying?

TANNER: No, no. I was just a ...

M: Good, because if I want sarcasm I’ll talk to my children, thank you very much. Good evening, 007.

BOND: Good evening.

• Some of you already mentioned my favorites so I have nothing to add, but... This thread made me so nostalgic, oh my god. :((
    Thanks, @RC7. Sorry for the confusion, @MrBond. Though, I like to think that Tennyson saw deep into the future and wrote about who we now know as James Bond. ;)
  • RC7 wrote:
    TANNER: Your hunch was right 007. Too bad the Evil Queen of Numbers wouldn't let you play it.

M: You were saying?

TANNER: No, no. I was just a ...

M: Good, because if I want sarcasm I’ll talk to my children, thank you very much. Good evening, 007.

BOND: Good evening.

That's another great one. You know I never realised that character was Tanner until somebody on this forum (it might've been you actually) told me.

I think that GE had Dench's best performance by far.
    You know, an interesting little question is here. In GE M talks about her children (in the sarcasm quote she retorts to Tanner after his "Queen of Numbers" tirade), yet I don't think anything is mentioned about her kids/or it she had any in Craig's era. I think the Brosnan M and Craig M are two separate characters, so maybe if Craig's M didn't have kids that explains why she took Bond under her wing as someone to "raise". And she truly did in their time in service together, molding him into the kind of man/agent she knew he could be. I find it unlikely that she didn't have kids though, as we see her husband here and there. But again, maybe they never had a brood.
    You know, an interesting little question is here. In GE M talks about her children (in the sarcasm quote she retorts to Tanner after his "Queen of Numbers" tirade), yet I don't think anything is mentioned about her kids/or it she had any in Craig's era. I think the Brosnan M and Craig M are two separate characters, so maybe if Craig's M didn't have kids that explains why she took Bond under her wing as someone to "raise". And she truly did in their time in service together, molding him into the kind of man/agent she knew he could be. I find it unlikely that she didn't have kids though, as we see her husband here and there. But again, maybe they never had a brood.

Or perhaps her kids are just moved off to different places and never needed to be brought up again, though I do like the whole Brosnan/Craig M being different idea - it does put a difference to how she treats Brosnan's Bond and Craig's Bond.