Is there anyone who thinks that Fleming was not the best Bond author?

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well, there are things I prefer with Fleming.

Fleming was best with plots
    Fleming was best with characters and interactions
    Fleming was best with emulating the film's atmosphere
    Fleming was best with descriptions of clothing and food

I've not yet read Amis, Wood or Deaver, so I can't say anything about them.

I edited your post slightly so it made more sense. Hope you don't mind.

Other than Amis, none of the other writers came anywhere close to capturing the brilliance of Fleming. The last 2 official novels were dreadful, and I've tried on numerous times to read a Benson, Gardner and Wood novel, and I can get about 3 chapters through before throwing the books down in utter disgust.

Anyone who thinks there were better writers than Fleming to write a Bond novel should leave this forum right now, and follow another franchise.

This is Bond blasphemy of the highest order!!!

Very well put Sir.

However I do have a soft spot for the first half a dozen Gardners although this is viewed through the prism of teenage nostalgia so if I revisited them now I'd most likely be disappointed.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Other than Amis, none of the other writers came anywhere close to capturing the brilliance of Fleming. The last 2 official novels were dreadful, and I've tried on numerous times to read a Benson, Gardner and Wood novel, and I can get about 3 chapters through before throwing the books down in utter disgust.

Anyone who thinks there were better writers than Fleming to write a Bond novel should leave this forum right now, and follow another franchise.

There's just one problem with your editing of my post: How could Fleming be the best with emulating the film's atmosphere, when the films were emulating him?

Plus, for some reason, Gardner's character interactions sounded more natural to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694

Oh, what hogwash. Anyone who actually thinks members who prefer the other Bond writers to Fleming are blasphemous should leave the forum.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,279
    Oh, what hogwash. Anyone who actually thinks members who prefer the other Bond writers to Fleming are blasphemous should leave the forum.
    And anyone who thought I was being serious, and dare argue with me should leave the forum before I do.

Hogwash with bells on to you too. Merry Christmas!!

There's just one problem with your editing of my post: How could Fleming be the best with emulating the film's atmosphere, when the films were emulating him?

Plus, for some reason, Gardner's character interactions sounded more natural to me.
    OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG were all written while the Bond films had started. And the films have tried there upmost to emulate Fleming, so therefore your question asking which author best emulated the films, did you not expect anyone to vote for Fleming?

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG were all written while the Bond films had started. And the films have tried there upmost to emulate Fleming, so therefore your question asking which author best emulated the films, did you not expect anyone to vote for Fleming?

Yes, they were all written after the films started, but they also don't read at all like Fleming's emulating the style of the films, which were emulating him. When you set the standard, you don't need to emulate.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And anyone who thought I was being serious, and dare argue with me should leave the forum before I do.

It's hard to tell in text, and well...it's you. :)

No worries. And a Happy New Year too!!

<:-P

No worries. And a Happy New Year too!!

<:-P

Indeed!
  • DB5DB5
    Fleming had a unique way of turning a phrase that you don't find in any of the continuation authors Bond novels.
  • TheBondFan wrote:
    Just curious. I think Fleming is the best but does anyone disagree? If so, why?
    What a bizarre question!

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How about this:
    Fleming is to Young as Gardner is to Campbell....?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    The Fleming description of Blades in Moonraker alone puts him above anyone else. The details he was able to write about are what seals the deal.

That said, my favorite post-Fleming, ---The Moneypenny Diaries. Not to be missed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    How about this:
    Fleming is to Young as Gardner is to Campbell....?

Interesting parallel but I think youre doing Martin a disservice.

I would go more along these lines:

Fleming - Young
    Amis - Hunt
    Gardner - Glen
    Benson - Hamilton
    Faulkes - Tamahori
    Deaver - Forster