Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    It is great. Good mix of action, horror and comedy.

Ash in this one was essentially Duke Nukem (well, technically Duke Nukem was essentially Ash), which I loved.
    Django Unchained.
    Tarantino at his naughty best. the usual blend of funny dialogue, comedic relief in unlikely places, and lots of violence and foul language.
    a thrill ride.
    Watchmen
    It was interesting, although I didn't knew nothing about it before (like the story in the comic and so on). Some characters were more fun than the others, Rorschach was the best in my opinion (but Sally Jupiter, when young, was my favorite, you must know why...)
    The ending was a little disappointing but overall it was interesting, as I said, though not my favorite of the genre.

Driving Miss Daisy
    Very entertaining and sentimental, with great acting. I would like if they went deeper on the racial issue but I know that it isn't a political focused movie. A true classic anyway.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    @0013, you NEED to read the graphic novel. A true masterpiece. I can see why the ending disappointed you, as it is almost impossible not to be. A rare tale where the writer (Alan Moore)
    had the stones to let the villain win, and kill hundreds to save millions.
    But I love that Rorschach's own words in his journal may indeed be published and live on, showing people the evil that occurred, the truth of what happened.
    Rorschach is simply one of the greatest characters ever created. A real anti-hero in the truest form. A man who must do bad to bring good.
    Watched Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood" last night. And although having doubts when it first started as to how this new take would work out? I have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed it! :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Barbarella

barbarella_movie_image_jane_fonda__7_.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1323719762579

One of my all-time favourite guilty pleasures. Sci-Fi, combined with 60s flavour and femme fatale Jane Fonda as the titular character, what more could I ask for?

The film makes no sense whatsoever but that's one of its attractivenesses IMO. Directed by Roger Vadim and released in 1968, along with my favourite Sci-Fi film ever made (2001: A Space Odyssey), this is one of those sweet time capsules that 60s fans like myself will watch over and over again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    The last film I watched, is also the first film i've watchd in 2013. So what film gets such an honour? Well...

RageoftheYeti(2011).jpg

What you'd expect of a SciFi channel original film. Though ROTY (say that back in your head) will hold a little extra entertainment value for any Witchblade fans; it stars Yancy Butler & David Chokachi. Squint and it's like a Witchblade reunion film... ok it's not, but it's better than actually watching this film.
    @0013, you NEED to read the graphic novel. A true masterpiece. I can see why the ending disappointed you, as it is almost impossible not to be. A rare tale where the writer (Alan Moore)
    had the stones to let the villain win, and kill hundreds to save millions.

Indeed it was a powerful idea.
    But I love that Rorschach's own words in his journal may indeed be published and live on, showing people the evil that occurred, the truth of what happened.
    Rorschach is simply one of the greatest characters ever created. A real anti-hero in the truest form. A man who must do bad to bring good.

I'll gladly see an all Roschach movie!

By the way, I liked the counter-historical context, Nixon's 3th term and so on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0013, I also love the aspect of the Keene Act where the superheroes were outlawed. I thought that was brilliantly used in The Incredibles, too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw 'Django Unchained' for a second time today, and it was just as excellent as it was the first time. I highly recommend this movie; it's QT at his best.

Followed that up with 'Jack Reacher': pretty bland and dull, in my opinion. I'm a fan of Tom Cruise, but it was just the normal ol' stuff that's only worth a rent in my eyes. Still, it was nice to spend a day out at the movies with my girlfriend. I was going to see SF again, but I just could not sit in those theater seats any longer.
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Being a long time Tolkien fan it was weird I was weird (or probably not) that I wasn't that excited about it. Perhaps is because Bond and Skyfall consume my fan feelings.
    Anyway this first chapter was fun to watch, perhaps too fun at times, not because of the comic elements from the novel but by those new added to the film. It was very entertaining and certainly spectacular. While I can't figure out how they can extend the story left into two more movies (especially if they are 3 hours long), I will enjoy them nonetheless.
  • Rashomon. An excellent, excellent film by Akira Kurasawa. Strangely, i had a dream depicting the events of the film as a Bond movie.
    'This is 40'

Rudd and Mann make a great pair, but Apatow's films are marketed as a fun comedy, and always turn out to be depressing or incredibly sad to an extreme amount. Still, it was fun - though it felt like it dragged a bit - and I enjoyed what I saw.
  • The Hobbit

My fiance liked the first 3 movies and she saw Jack Reacher with me so I had to go and see this with her.

I haven't seen the first three but this was alright. 48 fps was a bit jarring at first but you get used to it (although I saw it in 2D, not sure if that makes a difference). I'm not really into the whole fantasy thing but the cast and action scenes made this entertaining enough for me to enjoy.

I'm glad I finally saw why everybody was raving about Gollum. Andy Serkis was brilliant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nightmare Concert (a.k.a. A Cat In The Brain)

cat.jpg

If I hear the name Lucio Fulci I immediate turn my head in the direction of the voice that spoke this divine name. Fulci is one of my favourite splatter deities, topping Bava and Argento in my list. The New York Ripper is one of the very best giallo films I've ever watched - praised - devoured.

Quite naturally this self-reflective 1990 film, Nightmare Concert, wasn't going to escape my attention. But, to be sure, it did somewhat escape my Fulci enthusiasm. I'm not exactly disappointed - some of the kills are intense and deliciously juicy - but there's a certain spark of Fulci energy I've struggled to find during the entire film. The plot, though usually not the main focal point in this type of film, is undeniably weaker than in some of his treasures from the older days.

Fans of Fulci will love to take a bite in this piece of meat, but I can't promise it'll taste as good as the Fulci classics.
    Prince of Persia. Disappointed if honest! Nice to see Gemma Arteton in a revealing outfit though! ;)
  • i'm watching all the Bond films in order after receiving the Bond 50 Blu Ray set. Here's my movie blog post entry on Man with the Golden Gun, which is my latest post. Evaluations of the other Bond films can also be found on the site.

http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-007-files-the-man-with-the-golden-gun/
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Prince of Persia. Disappointed if honest! Nice to see Gemma Arteton in a revealing outfit though! ;)

Gemma looked great in pop, thank god they didn't put her in a raincoat. :)

'Headhunters'

Wonderful, wonderful film. It's rare that I'm let down by a foreign film, and this was no exception. Great acting, wonderful pace, and it gave me the same feeling as the Australian film 'The Square.' Great time, and I heavily recommend it.

10/10
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Headhunters'

Wonderful, wonderful film. It's rare that I'm let down by a foreign film, and this was no exception. Great acting, wonderful pace, and it gave me the same feeling as the Australian film 'The Square.' Great time, and I heavily recommend it.

10/10

I just love the creativeness of it. Such a simple, but rather out-there plot, with great little gags littered throughout. Plus, moments of tension unparalleled elsewhere. Such a fun, thrilling movie.

I watched North By Northwest for the first time today, don't shoot!
    I absolutely loved it. Cary Grant is such a likable actor, and the ending was a surprise for me. I didn't realize the, er, location of the final chase was.. well.. what it was. I love the little gag where he pulls her up at the end. Smooth, fun transition that caught me off-guard.

10/10

'Is there something wrong with your eyes?'
    'Yea - they're sensitive to questions.'
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I absolutely loved it.

Yes, awesome pre-Bond movie! Hitchcock's best IMO.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,473
    @JWESTBROOK, so many tense scenes throughout 'Headhunters.' The one that I think got to me the most was:
    Roger and Lotte's knife fight. Every slash, I was waiting for it to drive into a serious place on his body - this film has thrown so much insanity and twists at us so far, why stop here? - and watching that unfold was nerve-wracking. And watching him grab the blade, just to turn it away from her? Painful!

Just finished 'Act of Valor'. Trying to get through these 2012 movies as fast as I can, and this one was marginally good. The acting was decent, considering real SEAL teams were used for the movie. Pretty interesting plot and concept that they managed to work the action around their training area: yachts, camps, buildings, etc.

I was none too crazy about the over-usage of the first-person views throughout the entirety of the movie, and I felt the action growing a little stale after a while. Still, it was nice spotting little moments in the movie that actually happened in real life.

Moving on to 'Killing 'Em Softly' and 'The Grey' next, followed by (hopefully) 'Cloud Atlas' and 'Lincoln.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, so many tense scenes throughout 'Headhunters.' The one that I think got to me the most was:
    Roger and Lotte's knife fight. Every slash, I was waiting for it to drive into a serious place on his body - this film has thrown so much insanity and twists at us so far, why stop here? - and watching that unfold was nerve-wracking. And watching him grab the blade, just to turn it away from her? Painful!

That was a fun little twist in the plot at her house. Cringe worthy indeed. I'll have to go back and watch it before they release the remake. Yes.. the Hollywood remake - )-
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Moving on to ... 'The Grey'...

I've tried to get myself to watch this on Netflix for the past 2 months. I guess I'll sit down and do it today, though I've had the ending spoiled for me :(
    @JWESTBROOK, I'm in the exact same position as you: friend told me the ending, been in my Queue forever, just can't manage to watch it.
    Next up for me is The Expendables 2! Won't get chance to watch until Monday, so will post my thoughts in a few days?
    'Killing Them Softly'

Awkwardly short film, but wonderful to see Pitt back at his best again, along with a great supporting cast. Film moves pretty slowly and I felt that most of the characters in it were slowly creeping toward an inevitability, but a lot of the shots and camera work made up for the slow pace, and I quite enjoyed myself with this one.
    Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Fairly different from his standard blue movies that have very little story. There is nudity but there is an actual real story here and very funny. One could say that it's part musical. For the most part it's a drama then for the climax it turns into a thriller/part horror even. Great film.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Looper 8/10

Wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be but still a good film. The tone and pace of it reminds me a lot of Blade Runner.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited January 2013 Posts: 578
    Jaws (1975)
    Great horror which is my 7th favorite film ever.
    10/10
    chrisisall wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I absolutely loved it.

Yes, awesome pre-Bond movie! Hitchcock's best IMO.

Yeah, I agree...
    Has shower and sees dark menacing shape with knife
    OKAY! PSYCHO IS THE BEST!

:-O

I am having a major Bat-A-Thon, watching all of the Batman movies again to celebrate The Dark Knight Trilogy coming out on Blu-Ray. Typing tyhis whilst watching The Bat, as featured in Cinemassacre's Bat-A-Thon.

DarthDimi said:

Barbarella

One of my all-time favourite guilty pleasures. Sci-Fi, combined with 60s flavour and femme fatale Jane Fonda as the titular character, what more could I ask for?

The film makes no sense whatsoever but that's one of its attractivenesses IMO. Directed by Roger Vadim and released in 1968, along with my favourite Sci-Fi film ever made (2001: A Space Odyssey), this is one of those sweet time capsules that 60s fans like myself will watch over and over again.

Looks at picture

If I can quote PSY, eh, sexy lady!

Mod Edit - Merged four posts into one. We have an edit button for a reason.
    Warnings will follow for persistent offenders.
  • Die Hard With A Vengeance, which was New Years Day incidentally, as been too busy since then for any other movie viewings. And before that, watched two of the Star Trek releases back to back from the 1980s, "The Search for Spock" and then "The Voyage Home". The latter is about as relevant to Star Trek as custard and gravy, but at least Willis and Jackson gave a good performance in the last movie watched, and it's probably the second best of the Die Hard releases thus far. Jeremy Irons is one damn fine actor here