Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've never been keen of Coppola's Dracula.

Dracula (1931)
    Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973)
    Dracula (1974)*
    Nosferatu (1979)

Those five, at the least, I consider better Dracula films.

* I believe this was the first Dracula to use the idea of his past life as a warrior, and though the film does not use the idea as explicitly as Coppola's film, Palance does give off all the right vibes. For a tvm, it's very well made.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Nope, I haven't seen the BR yet. Any differences to the DVD that you might be able to enlighten me on?

The 2007 DVD and Blu Ray looks radically different in colour timing to what many saw in the cinemas in 1992. Bram Stoker's Dracula was the last Hollywood film in 1992 to be shot using analog technology. All the effects were done non-digitally.

The 2007 Blu Ray and DVD has less detail than the 1997 as well as 2001 Superbit DVD. The 2007 edition has major black crush hence shadow detail missing.

The film when released was very colourful and had a very stylised look. It seems Zoetrope altered the Blu Ray digitally and to many fans the film looks so different.

Also the 2007 DVD no longer has the burned in subtitles like you see in the opening. They are player generated and look out of place with the look of the film.

You can still get the Superbit 2001 DVD on Ebay or even amazon. Watch those if you can and tell me the difference you see.

I no longer watch the Blu Ray as the excessively dark transfer and change of colour is not the film I saw theatrically.

The Blu Ray is revisionist. Some of the Bond films also have differences from the originals. It is nothing new but sometimes too much tinkering to make the film look more acceptable to modern audiences has it's drawbacks.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited December 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Shutter Island. It has great performances and I love the way how they "melted" the various locations into one island.

I coud've done with most of the foreshadowing, but 8/10.
  • Les Misérables. Performances of a lifetime for Anne Hattaway and Hugh Jackman.
    Never tought it possible those two had that kind of talent and ressourcefulness.

A must-see movie.
    Les Misérables. Performances of a lifetime for Anne Hattaway and Hugh Jackman.
    Never tought it possible those two had that kind of talent and ressourcefulness.

A must-see movie.

I had the same opinion about Anne before I saw her as Catwoman. She's now one of my favorite actresses (together with Marion C).

• edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Django Unchained

Film of the year hands down. Yep it even beats SF imo. It's funny, it has great action, characters, dialouge and also doesn't do a bad job of showing some of the horrors of slavery. Brilliant western, Tarantino is back on the form after Inglorious Basterds (which I thought was a bit boring and disappointing).
    Django Unchained

Film of the year hands down. Yep it even beats SF imo. It's funny, it has great action, characters, dialouge and also doesn't do a bad job of showing some of the horrors of slavery. Brilliant western, Tarantino is back on the form after Inglorious Basterds (which I thought was a bit boring and disappointing).

Just about everyone is RAVING. As a QT fan, that makes me very happy....

Have to wait until next month though. :D <:-P
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    Django Unchained

Just about everyone is RAVING. As a QT fan, that makes me very happy....

Have to wait until next month though. :D <:-P

I'm in the UK but I was lucky enough to see it early.
    Carry on marathon on itv3 - brings back memories
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Bourne Legacy

When I first saw this in the theater I was dissapointed but I rented it last night and to my surprise I liked it more than I thought! The ending is still rather weak and it loses major points because of that but otherwise a great film. Hope they do another with Aaron Cross.

1. The Bourne Idenity
    2 & 3. The Bourne Ultimatum & The Bourne Legacy (tie)
    4. The Bourne Supremacy
  • Jack Reacher

Well this got some good reviews so I caved in and went to see it.

Not a bad action film and not a bad adaption of the book. Cruise actually does a decent job shaking things up instead of playing his usual Mission Impossible character, he was much more subtle.

But he looks nothing like Jack Reacher and that really stopped me from enjoying the film as much as I should have done. Why didn't they just cast somebody else? Fair enough if they couldn't get a ripped 6 foot giant but why choose Tom Cruise of all people? The man is known for being small FFS, and you have him playing a character known for being massive?
  • Last night, I gave another shot at TMWTGG. Midway through it I seriously consider doing something else. Many people here, as do I, dislike DAD, but IMO TMWTGG isn't better.
    No action, pretty weak supporting cast, it has no appeal to me except it's a Bond film.
    The funhouse scenario is lame to say the least. Nick Nac has an henchman, gimme a break...JW Pepper...Bond letting schoolgirls do his fighting...

I don't think I'll watch TMWTGG again, but I may watch DAD, and that's saying a lot.
  • Weak supporting cast? What about Christopher Lee?
  • Return of the Jedi on bluray, recently bought the 6 movie box set. This film looks awesome, so many times during this film i thought to myself i am watching greatness. Bluray has injected a great deal into Jedi, the colours look so much more vibrant and the film certainly looks more cinematic, Endor looks great, in previous versions not been too impressed with Endor. They don't make movies like this anymore that's for sure.
    Watched "In Bruge" the other day. Although some scenes are pretty graphic? I loved it and the humour had me intears of laughter. Loved the chemistry between Farrel and Gleeson too! And as for Fiennes? He was epic and funny!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Watched "In Bruge" the other day. Although some scenes are pretty graphic? I loved it and the humour had me intears of laughter. Loved the chemistry between Farrel and Gleeson too! And as for Fiennes? He was epic and funny!
    I have heard so much about this film! I must watch it sometime.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Les Misérables (2012)

A fairly good musical with Anne Hathaway as a true standout. I found the film to have some technical problems akin to those I saw in QOS, however (unnecessary handheld camera, confusing editing). Also, while I commend Russell Crowe for trying, his voice is an odd mesh with everyone else's; he kind of sounded like an operatic version of The Beatles. Overall, however Les Misérables mostly worked and I found myself enjoying a good amount of this grand scale musical.

7/10
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Wrong Man

511M26LcwiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Very strong Hitchcock thriller with a tremendously engaging build-up and an as usual unexpected climax. Bernard Herrmann provides an ominous score and Fonda gives a terrific performance, highly convincing and most sympathy inducing.

Huge recommend for fans of Hitch!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The Wrong Man

511M26LcwiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Very strong Hitchcock thriller with a tremendously engaging build-up and an as usual unexpected climax. Bernard Herrmann provides an ominous score and Fonda gives a terrific performance, highly convincing and most sympathy inducing.

Huge recommend for fans of Hitch!

I must watch this!!! I love it when Hitch and Herrmann come together.
    Sherlock Holmes 2. I enjoyed it at the cinema and I enjoyed it now. Not as good as the modern day TV series but it's a slick, fun action movie. And everybody gives great performances, Robert Downey jr especially. The score is good too.

My one problem with it is that it feels sort of scared of the fact it's set in the past. I can let them off with the train sequence because they did have gattling guns back then but it felt a bit jarring when Watson was blasting away goons with a machine gun at the factory.

Maybe if I read the books I'd enjoy these movies less but for now I really like them.

8/10
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Campain 7.5/10

I've heard mix reviews of this film so I went into it with an open mind and I ended up likeing it. The last twenty minutes wasn't really that funny but the rest of the film was good.

Premium Rush 10/10

I love this film. It's an orginal story with a fun cast. This film makes me want to be a New York bike messenger. This will be one that I will own some day.
    Sherlock Holmes 2. I enjoyed it at the cinema and I enjoyed it now. Not as good as the modern day TV series but it's a slick, fun action movie. And everybody gives great performances, Robert Downey jr especially. The score is good too.

My one problem with it is that it feels sort of scared of the fact it's set in the past. I can let them off with the train sequence because they did have gattling guns back then but it felt a bit jarring when Watson was blasting away goons with a machine gun at the factory.

Maybe if I read the books I'd enjoy these movies less but for now I really like them.

8/10

Most assuredly.

The last movie I saw was "Django Unchained" at the theaters. Wild, violent, crazy and fabulous. Tarantino strikes again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Evil Dead II
    evildead2bdcap4.jpg

It was on Film4 last night, so I thought why not. A quotable horror classic.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    ^ There's a second Evil Dead? I must check it out...

I'm watching Force Ten From Navarone, 1978 - it has some Bond connections; Robert Shaw, Richard Kiel, Barbra Bach, Edward Fox (M in NSNA), and it was directed by Guy Hamilton.
    I watched Guns of Navarone last evening and Never Say Never Again the other day.
    royale65 wrote:
    ^ There's a second Evil Dead? I must check it out...

And a third, but ED2 is my favourite of the 3.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I said it on the main thread for it, but I saw 'Django Unchained' last night and I absolutely loved it. Second favorite film of the year (behind SF), and I believe it's my favorite QT film. I loved every minute of it, it was leagues better than 'Inglourious Basterds' - which I already heavily enjoyed - and DiCaprio played one of the best villains' of the year. If you haven't seen it, and you either questioned it or thought it looked good, go see it ASAP.
    Django Unchained was my film of the year. I owe my friend for life now, because thanks to him I got to see it early (it's not out in the UK until January. Which I thought was wierd because I swear ages ago I saw a poster at the cinema saying it was out at Christmas).
    Evil Dead II
    evildead2bdcap4.jpg

It was on Film4 last night, so I thought why not. A quotable horror classic.

I love the bit where he goes for the chainsaw, it's not there and then Lindas body comes at him with it. I've never seen the third film but I prefer the 2nd to the original.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I still feel like it may have beaten SF, but it falls very shortly behind it. Four years without Bond, a memorable theater experience for both, but SF slightly takes the cake. 'Django Unchained,' though? Wow. I was blown away.