Skyfall Special Effects and CGI

Comments

• That Silva moment was one time where I didn't even consider it would be CGI, I was so involved in the character and the scene that I just saw it as real.

I don't think the MI6 explosion is bad at all really, I was just disputing where you said "It was one of those moments that created an unexpected shock." I assume you had avoided all the trailers then; but even so, it could have been lingered on a bit more, with a couple of different angles or something to give it a greater sense of realism, rather than just one shot cut to a few times.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I posted this in another thead but it's a good article on the Komodo sequence. I liked the work done here.

http://www.awn.com/articles/visual-effects/bond-gets-cg-komodo-dragon-skyfall :-B
  • I'm kind of amazed that everybody keeps saying CGI on the SF mi6 explosion. It was a quarter-scale miniature pyro event. It was comped in digitally, but that don't make it "CGI." I've written professionally about visual effects for over 20 years, and it never fails to amaze me how folks always think everything is done in a computer, even when it is obviously not the case.

There's a kneejerk reaction even IN the industry to get everything done with one-stop shopping, but as SF/CR vfx supe Steve Begg often notes, it is the right tool for the right job that is the way to go.

Somebody mentioned fogging things up to cover the model mansion deficiencies. Not likely - the copter and mansion were built in 1/3 scale, which, coupled with state-of-the-art techniques for construction and detail and stressing of materials, conveys a ton of realism and you usually don't need to do much sweetening after the fact, except maybe to extract wires or in the case of water, scale-blowing droplets.

It's truly a shame that the Bond people and Nolan and Scorsese seem to be the only people remembering that you can get GREAT looking stuff by doing effects principally physically in miniature whereas otherwise you will get ordinary looking stuff (meaning, crappy to pretty good) doing it ALL in CG.

There's some stuff toward the end of this piece with Begg:
    http://www.hdvideopro.com/display/features/secret-agent-man.html

Here is a nice read that discusses the use of miniatures, CG and live-action.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/skyfall/
  • Well someone posted earlier regarding the factory explosion in GE was model work done by Derek Meddings. If I remember correctly he was the same guy who did all the stuff in Thunderbirds, Joe 90 Captain Scarlett, Stingray etc and the Gerry Anderson shows and look how great those always looked!
  • I thought the dragons were awful, felt it was very heavily obvious cg and i feel it is going to look pretty dated in a few years. The skyfall lodge work was very well done, I wonder if Bond falling into a frozen lake then climbing out, killing silva and not dying of hyperthermia or shivering was also cgi? hmmmm
    CGI obviously looks more realistic than the effects work in the old days, but the work that must have gone into the older films to try and bring realism is incredible.

CGI is too easy though and creates a lot of lazyness in films. Even though the shark in Jaws looks pretty poor, I still find it more effective than a CGI creation as I know the victims are at least being chased by something and not a sock on a stick.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think the helicopters looked fake, which really annoyed me since they got a real one later for the finale. And the dragons didn't look very real either.

I thought the rest of the CGI was fine.
  • I think the helicopters looked fake, which really annoyed me since they got a real one later for the finale. And the dragons didn't look very real either.

What did you think made the helicopters look fake? My first screening was in Imax and I never even thought about them; it was only afterwards that I heard people complain that they looked fake. Then when I saw it a second time - not in Imax - I was looking at them more carefully and still thought they looked fine. What am I missing?
    you're glasses perhaps?
  • I think the helicopters looked fake, which really annoyed me since they got a real one later for the finale.

Actually, the helicopter that Silva arrives at Skyfall was also not real. Whereas the ones above his island were CG, the helicopter at skyfall was actually a minature. This is because the location of Skyfall lodge was actually in Surrey not Scotland, and was not by a lake, so they created the lake digitally and composited the minature helicopter on top. Otherwise they would have had to film an actual helicopter and then rotoscope (trace around the edges in every frame) and place the lake underneath and that is alot more work.
  • See I thought the one in the finale was real. They should've done what they did with that for the choppers on Silvas island.
    I think the helicopters looked fake, which really annoyed me since they got a real one later for the finale. And the dragons didn't look very real either.

What did you think made the helicopters look fake? My first screening was in Imax and I never even thought about them; it was only afterwards that I heard people complain that they looked fake. Then when I saw it a second time - not in Imax - I was looking at them more carefully and still thought they looked fine. What am I missing?

There was a short up close shot showing them from above, it only lasted a few seconds but I thought they looked fake and it just sort of bugged me, especially after the finale.

I feel the same way about the PTS. People keep going on about the CGI during the bike chase but I never noticed any at all.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 204
    Also for those who are interested, 'digital doubles' were used in a number of sequences.

Firstly when Bond is shot by Eve and he falls, the first two seconds you see him falling are the actual Daniel Craig. When it gets far enough that you won't notice, it's actually switched to a CGI version of Craig. This is the one we see when he goes over the edge of the waterfall.

When Bond chases Patrice up the building in Shanghai, the real Craig is there until he grabs the bottom of the elevator. It's then switch to digital double.

They tend to use this for distance shots because as advanced as CGI is nowadays, they can't quite move the same as humans and tend to look a bit rubbery... you'll notice this with the Spiderman films and Matrix Reloaded (such as the Burly Brawl sequence etc)

The bike chase had some close up shots pasted onto another body and that didn't look great. The debris seen when the train got 'chomped' by the tractor was also CGI.
  • trevanian wrote:
    There's a kneejerk reaction even IN the industry to get everything done with one-stop shopping,
    Oh yes, and even twice to my knowledge, some scenes were shot on two French blockbusters with no one from the SFX team around. And it ended on the first scene with "hey look we used tennis balls to show where the CG animals will be, remove them and put the CGI beasts here", and on the second with "remove the mustache on this actor for this re-take please" (and they did not even bother to grease the mustache so that we could see the lips) ! "CGI can do anything" !

• RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Gustav_Graves, I, too, thought Silva's 'jaw' scene was wonderfully executed. I think the CGI is perfection in comparison to DAD, and that's why I don't let it take me out of the film.

Indeed ;-). By the way, do people realize that CGI was also very important for the overall cinematography executed by Roger Deakins? The glowing orange colors when Skyfall Lodge is completely burnt.....that could have only happened with help of CGI. So when Roger Deakins does win an Oscar for his work, I think he will most certainly thank the visual effects department too.

I think you're confusing CGI with grading.

As for this chat about 'realistic' CGI - there are more than a few people getting a bit carried away again. 'Realistic' CGI as you're calling it has been around for ages. It was used in all the Brosnan movies. As much as some people would like to believe, Skyfall didn't herald a new era of everything. Personally I thought some of the visual effects shot were quite poor. Not enough to put me off, but enough to make me wish they'd do more physical work. I didn't find the compositing and grading at SF lodge particularly great. It looked slightly LOTR or DAD PTS.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    RC7 wrote:
    As much as some people would like to believe, Skyfall didn't herald a new era of everything.
    Well, first full CGI danger in a Bond movie, nevertheless (the dragons). Quite a leap from Moonraker's rubber anaconda :) And animal protection law now makes it impossible to use real animals I guess anyway so not much choice left, we may not see anymore in the future a LALD crocodiles stunt or even the TB Connery vs real shark incident catched on screen (cf. the NSNA scene with the horse, the stuntmen said they could do it with no danger to the animal but they were not allowed - at the same time in OP they chased a plane with a horse, not sure it was 110% safe for the animal !!).

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    As much as some people would like to believe, Skyfall didn't herald a new era of everything.
    Well, first full CGI danger, nevertheless (the dragons). Quite a leap from Moonraker's rubber anaconda :) And animal protection law now makes it impossible to use real animals I guess anyway so not much choice left, we may not see anymore in the future a LALD crocodiles stunt or even the TB Connery vs real shark incident catched on screen (cf. the NSNA scene with the horse, the stuntmen said they could do it with no danger to the animal but they were not allowed).

The less CGI reptiles or mammals the better IMO. I want to see a Bengal being told to 'Sit!' by Daniel.

• RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Well, first full CGI danger, nevertheless (the dragons). Quite a leap from Moonraker's rubber anaconda :) And animal protection law now makes it impossible to use real animals I guess anyway so not much choice left, we may not see anymore in the future a LALD crocodiles stunt or even the TB Connery vs real shark incident catched on screen (cf. the NSNA scene with the horse, the stuntmen said they could do it with no danger to the animal but they were not allowed).

The less CGI reptiles or mammals the better IMO. I want to see a Bengal being told to 'Sit!' by Daniel.

Personal preference, but I'd rather see CGI Komodo dragons rather than a rubber snake.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Personal preference, but I'd rather see CGI Komodo dragons rather than a rubber snake.

I don't think you need to worry about the use of rubber reptiles in 2012. As for CGI Komodo dragons, I'd rather homages to old Bond films were more subtle, preferably non-existent and didn't have to rely on CGI. They should leave that kind of stuff to Star Trek/Wars, LOTR etc.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think the CGI in Skyfall was very well done indeed, not obtrusive, not obvious for the vast majority of the film. I am not against CGI if well done. The final product is what counts and for me Skyfall is an excellent film.
    I love the Komodo sequence; it has the feel of the pulp men's novels of the 50's and 60's such as Doc Savage. It'd modern CG but has a retro style.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The komodo sequence really took me out of the film for a moment the first time I saw it, then I just accepted it for what it was.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The komodo sequence really took me out of the film for a moment the first time I saw it, then I just accepted it for what it was.

Me too. It's one of those things you deal with but afterwards I think, don't bother next time. Wholesale CGI creatures are not something I want to see in a Bond film. Neither are CGI Helicopters. Even the models in the TWINE PTS look better. I know some people can't see it but for those of us who can it is jarring.
    @RC7, I just didn't care too much for the fight in Macau. It was a bit more on the comical side and I suppose I wasn't ready for it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @RC7, I just didn't care too much for the fight in Macau. It was a bit more on the comical side and I suppose I wasn't ready for it.

I found it strange that lots of users on here who hate the Moore era were praising the Macau fight, because I thought it felt straight out of a Moore film. Which isn't a bad thing, I love most of Rogers Bond movies, but I thought it was a bit out of place in SF.

I thought it was alright, the one liners were pretty good, but I didn't think it suited the rest of the film or Craigs Bond. There was no danger to it (especially since the dragons looked fake) and the whole sequence was just played for laughs.

It's something I would've enjoyed more in a Moore film but in SF, I thought it felt a bit out of place.
    The only 'obvious' bit of CG in Skyfall was the 'copters at Silva's island. I thought everything else was pretty good.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:

I found it strange that lots of users on here who hate the Moore era were praising the Macau fight, because I thought it felt straight out of a Moore film. Which isn't a bad thing, I love most of Rogers Bond movies, but I thought it was a bit out of place in SF.

I thought it was alright, the one liners were pretty good, but I didn't think it suited the rest of the film or Craigs Bond. There was no danger to it (especially since the dragons looked fake) and the whole sequence was just played for laughs.

It's something I would've enjoyed more in a Moore film but in SF, I thought it felt a bit out of place.

Totally agree with you mate. I love Rog and you're right, it was very Moore era. I also agree that there was absolutely zero jeopardy given that they were CGI. Completely at odds with the very dramatic moment between Bond and Severine.
    I wouldn't have been too bothered if the film was just a fun, OTT Bond movie, but I think since it was trying to really be adult and it was fairly dark and dramatic at parts, the whole Macau fight just felt jarring. Especially since, like you said, they'd had the dramatic bit with Severine right before it.

I think the tube jump was a nice nod to the Moore films and since it lasted a second or two, it didn't feel too jarring. I think since the Macau fight was longer and had the Severine scene before it, it felt much more out of place.
    Would the Macau fight work in a Moore film? Absolutely. But I agree with you, @thelivingroyale, it was just out of place: Bond took it comically, the dragons looked fake, and I would have preferred a nice brawl between the two in the pit, sans dragons and comedy.
  • Maybe keep the one liners at the end but I think overall the fight was too light hearted to fit in well with the rest of the film.

SF actually disappointed me fight wise. One thing I'd loved about Craigs films up until now is that the fights were always really brutal. SF had some fights in cool locations (train, skyscraper, etc), but none of them felt as brutal and dangerous as CR or even QOS.

I think CR and QOS had some of the best fight scenes in the series so SF did leave me feeling let down there. I felt like they'd taken away the brutality of Craigs Bond, and that was what made him stand out with the other Bonds imo.

Connery was the iconic all rounder, Lazenby was sort of the everyman Bond, Moore was the comedy Bond, Dalton the dark Bond, Brosnan the cool and flashy action hero Bond, and Craig was the brutal, hardman Bond. But they sort of ditched that in SF, which I thought was a shame.

For Bond 24, I'd like more violent fights. Like the stair fight in CR. More of that please.